Dennis Weaver and Darren McGavin - RIP

susana

i've always heard that the stars die in groups of three...the three we lost the last few days certainly makes you think about that...Don Knotts, Darren McGavin and Dennis Weaver were among my favorites...when did they grow old?...it seems just the other day they were the toast of the town...now they can only be found in memories...and reruns...rest in peace.

I absolutely remember this.Jean Shepard was an author and gifted storyteller who was on nighttime radio for many years.My friend Bob and I knew that "A Christmas Story" was his film and we took our then-wives to see it.It WAS NOT a big hit film.It has grown to be the Christmas Classic it deserves to be-thanks in no small part-to Darren Mcgavin and his grotesque "Object de Art"-that horendous lamp he couldn't wait to put in the living room.He made "cranky" an art form-Ira.

Ira, You mention Jean Shepard. In high school, I used to fall asleep with my transistor radio under the pillow listening to him. Wasn't he the guy who had a friend named Bruner, who would occasionally get plastered, so Shepared defined getting drunk as "Bruner, to tie on a" ? Didn't I just love his stories, especially when he would quit in the middle of one...and NEVER get back to it! It used to kill me. I even loved his theme song.

What a guy. Where is he now?

smile --Darlene

"A Christmas Story" is an all-time classic! One of my best friends, Barbara, is the ex-wife of Carl Zittrer, who did the music for a lot of Bob Clark's movies, including "Porky's 1 & 2" and "Christmas Story". I remember watching the flick with her one time - she personally knew every adult extra in the movie, but didn't know who Darren McGavin was.....(her ex was one of the outlaws who attacked the house in Ralphie's dream sequence about defending the homestead with his Red Rider rifle).

Whatever happened to Peter Billingsley (Ralphie)? The kid who played Scott Farkus resurfaced fairly recently in the TV show "Titus".

McGavin was good at playing characters in movies as if he knew more than he was letting others around him know, like in "The Natural" with Robert Redford. Even in "The Night Stalker", which I loved, those freaky vampire monsters were no match for his sarcastic wit.

I also never missed an episode of "McCloud" with Dennis Weaver. He aced that role.

I also will never forget watching Don Knotts comedy movies when I was a kid, like "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" and "The Incredible Mr. Limpet"..."LadyFish!..."

Thanks, TOMMY, for the info on Jean Shepard. MUST get those shows! It will be worth it just to hear his voice again! (I'm excited!)

I feel so bad about Dennis Weaver and Darren McGavin also. It's so sad to see those we've enjoyed and loved, especially talented ones, go.

RIP Darren, Dennis and Don.

frown --Darlene