R&R HoF: Who else deserves to be inducted?

marvin

The following information is taken from the R&R Hall of Fame's website. In indicates the criteria used for induction into the Hall:

PERFORMERS:

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artist's contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

The Foundation's nominating committee, composed of rock and roll historians, selects nominees each year in the Performer category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of about 1,000 rock experts. Those performers who receive the highest number of votes, and more than 50 percent of the vote, are inducted. The Foundation generally inducts five to seven performers each year.

NON-PERFORMERS:

Songwriters, producers, disc jockeys, record executives, journalists and other industry professionals who have had a major influence on the development of rock and roll.

EARLY INFLUENCES:

Artists whose music predated rock and roll but had an impact on the evolution of rock and roll and inspired rock's leading artists.

The special selection committee elects the inductees in the Non-performer and Early Influences categories.

SIDE MEN:

This category was introduced in 2000. It honors those musicians who have spent their career out of the spotlight, performing as backup musicians for major artists on recording sessions and in concert. Though they often play a key role in the creation of memorable music, the public rarely knows them by name. A separate committee, composed primarily of producers, selects the inductees in this category.

-------------------------------------------------

Given the above criteria, who else do you think deserves to be in the Hall? I know that some feel the 'berries deserve induction, but let's leave them out of the discussion for now. Here's my 'should be in the Hall' list:

1. the Guess Who - for the most part the Hall seems to be reserved for British and American acts. What about this Canadian act who had numerous quality hit songs and blazed the trail for the many Canadian acts that followed?

2. Chicago - BS&T were probably among the first to combine jazz, rock and horns, but without a doubt, Chicago popularized the style. Forget about their latter-day David Foster produced nightmares, their late 1960's and early 1970's work was in a league by itself.

3. the Hollies - I think that the Hollies have been unfairly characterized as light-fare when in fact they've done a lot of ground-breaking work. Their three-part vocal harmonies were distinctive and along with the Beatles, they were probably the first British groups to incorporate folk-rock elements into their music.

4. Little Feat - More a cult favourite than anything else (probably like the 'berries); their 30+ year career has survived many ups and downs and they are still releasing great material and touring extensively. Their sound has always been original and the scope of their influence is wide.

5. Electric Light Orchestra - In the early 1970's to late 1970's, they were a very innovative group, taking their obvious Beatles influences to another level while also hitting the top of the charts on a consistent basis.

-------------------------------------------------

Marvin,

I agree with your first two choices. Although The Guess Who didn't produce many albums, their songs were well-written and creative. Chicago did have their unique style. Little Feat is a bit too country for me, but what you wrote for Little Feat could easily describe Kansas, a band which still draws big crowds to their concerts. I never liked ELO. If you're going to consider The Guess Who, why not the Grass Roots, too? They had quite a few big hits in the late 60's. And how about REOSpeedwagon for a band with stamina and the ability to create ballads and rockers?

Steveh

I can understand if people don't share my opinion about Little Feat or ELO or any of the other groups that I mentioned. That's ok. We always feel closer to the groups that we like. That's why many on this list (me excluded) feel that the 'berries should be in the HoF.

As far as Little Feat are concerned, I did say that they were "cult favourites", that's likely why most people have never heard of them. They've never had a hit single and I'm sure they've never reached a very high chart position with their albums, but, they're very well known in the industry and the individual musicians are extremely well respected, having played on everyone's records. As far as being "too country", I've never found this the case with them. For me, their stuff is a mixture of blues-r&b-jazz-cajun-rock-country, i.e. a real potpurri and a sound that's totally unique. Their original leader and inspiration, Lowell George is probably one of the most respected musicians ever.

As far as REO is concerned, I've got a couple of their mid-1980's albums, and always found them to be entertaining, but R&RHoF deserving? Not sure about that.

Marvin

Yes should be in there for being a pioneer in prog rock yet still managed to get some hits into the mainstream.

Glam rockers

Alice Cooper

David Bowie

Elton John

Of course I don't really know who's already in so I may name some that have already made it.

As much as I love the Raspberries I don't think a place in the hall is waiting for them nor do they deserve to be there IMO.

Here's the complete list. Make your own judgements:

PERFORMERS:

Chuck Berry

James Brown

Ray Charles

Sam Cooke

Fats Domino

The Everly Brothers

Buddy Holly

Jerry Lee Lewis

Elvis Presley

Little Richard

EARLY INFLUENCES:

Robert Johnson

Jimmie Rodgers

Jimmy Yancey

LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT:

John Hammond

NON-PERFORMERS:

Alan Freed

Sam Phillips

PERFORMERS:

The Coasters

Eddie Cochran

Bo Diddley

Aretha Franklin

Marvin Gaye

Bill Haley

B. B. King

Clyde McPhatter

Ricky Nelson

Roy Orbison

Carl Perkins

Smokey Robinson

Big Joe Turner

Muddy Waters

Jackie Wilson

EARLY INFLUENCES:

Louis Jordan

T-Bone Walker

Hank Williams

NON-PERFORMERS:

Leonard Chess

Ahmet Ertegun

Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller

Jerry Wexler

PERFORMERS:

The Beach Boys

The Beatles

The Drifters

Bob Dylan

The Supremes

EARLY INFLUENCES:

Woody Guthrie

Lead Belly

Les Paul

NON-PERFORMERS:

Berry Gordy, Jr

PERFORMERS:

Dion

Otis Redding

The Rolling Stones

The Temptations

Stevie Wonder

EARLY INFLUENCES:

The Inkspots

Bessie Smith

The Soul Stirrers

NON-PERFORMERS:

Phil Spector

PERFORMERS:

Hank Ballard

Bobby Darin

The Four Seasons

The Four Tops

The Kinks

The Platters

Simon and Garfunkel

The Who

EARLY INFLUENCES:

Louis Armstrong

Charlie Christian

Ma Rainey

NON-PERFORMERS:

Gerry Goffin and Carole King

Holland, Dozier and Holland

PERFORMERS:

LaVern Baker

The Byrds

John Lee Hooker

The Impressions

Wilson Pickett

Jimmy Reed

Ike and Tina Turner

EARLY INFLUENCES:

Howlin' Wolf

LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT:

Nesuhi Ertegun

NON-PERFORMERS:

Dave Bartholomew

Ralph Bass

PERFORMERS:

Bobby "Blue" Bland

Booker T. and the M.G.'s

Johnny Cash

The Isley Brothers

The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Sam and Dave

The Yardbirds

EARLY INFLUENCES:

Elmore James

Professor Longhair

NON-PERFORMERS:

Leo Fender

Bill Graham

Doc Pomus

PERFORMERS:

Ruth Brown

Cream

Creedence Clearwater Revival

The Doors

Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers

Etta James

Van Morrison

Sly and the Family Stone

EARLY INFLUENCES:

Dinah Washington

NON-PERFORMERS:

Dick Clark

Milt Gabler

PERFORMERS:

The Animals

The Band

Duane Eddy

The Grateful Dead

Elton John

John Lennon

Bob Marley

Rod Stewart

EARLY INFLUENCES:

Willie Dixon

NON-PERFORMERS:

Johnny Otis

PERFORMERS:

The Allman Brothers Band

Al Green

Janis Joplin

Led Zeppelin

Martha and the Vandellas

Neil Young

Frank Zappa

EARLY INFLUENCES:

The Orioles

NON-PERFORMERS:

Paul Ackerman

PERFORMERS:

David Bowie

Gladys Knight and the Pips

Jefferson Airplane

Little Willie John

Pink Floyd

The Shirelles

The Velvet Underground

EARLY INFLUENCES:

Pete Seeger

NON-PERFORMERS:

Tom Donahue

PERFORMERS:

The (Young) Rascals

The Bee Gees

Buffalo Springfield

Crosby, Stills and Nash

The Jackson Five

Joni Mitchell

Parliament-Funkadelic

EARLY INFLUENCES:

Mahalia Jackson

Bill Monroe

NON-PERFORMERS:

Syd Nathan

PERFORMERS:

The Eagles

Fleetwood Mac

The Mamas and the Papas

Lloyd Price

Santana

Gene Vincent

EARLY INFLUENCES:

Jelly Roll Morton

NON-PERFORMERS:

Allen Toussaint

PERFORMERS:

Billy Joel

Curtis Mayfield

Paul McCartney

Del Shannon

Dusty Springfield

Bruce Springsteen

The Staple Singers

EARLY INFLUENCES:

Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys

Charles Brown

NON-PERFORMERS:

George Martin

PERFORMERS:

Eric Clapton

Earth, Wind & Fire

Lovin' Spoonful

The Moonglows

Bonnie Raitt

James Taylor

EARLY INFLUENCES:

Nat "King" Cole

Billie Holiday

SIDEMEN:

Hal Blaine

King Curtis

James Jamerson

Scotty Moore

Earl Palmer

NON-PERFORMERS:

Clive Davis

PERFORMERS:

Aerosmith

Solomon Burke

The Flamingos

Michael Jackson

Queen

Paul Simon

Steely Dan

Ritchie Valens

SIDEMEN:

James Burton

Johnnie Johnson

NON-PERFORMERS:

Chris Blackwell

PERFORMERS:

Isaac Hayes

Brenda Lee

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Gene Pitney

Ramones

Talking Heads

SIDEMEN:

Chet Atkins

NON-PERFORMERS:

Jim Stewart

PERFORMERS:

AC/DC

The Clash

Elvis Costello & the Attractions

The Police

Righteous Brothers

SIDEMEN:

Benny Benjamin

Floyd Cramer

Steve Douglas

NON-PERFORMERS:

Mo Ostin

PERFORMERS:

Jackson Browne

The Dells

George Harrison

Prince

Bob Seger

Traffic

ZZ Top

LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT

Jann S. Wenner

Kirk,

Cliff Richards was never a big deal in the U.S.He had his Devil woman hit and duet with Olivia and the one album in the early 80's with 2 hits on it(don't recall the names)I do see his talent and recognize his outstanding voice.But here in the U.S. he never amounted to much like in the UK.I guess he is a legitimate candidate though based on his success elsewhere.

When our family was living in England many, many years ago, Cliff was a favourite of my mom and dad. His early stuff was pretty teeny and light, but he certainly was popular. His "I'm Nearly Famous" album with the single "Devil Woman" is very strong and worth picking up - if you can find it.

Marvin

Chicago and The Guess Who stand out by their omission especially when you consider a group like the Lovin' Spoonful is in the Hall. Sure the Spoonful had some hits that were really strong and John Sebastian is a fine musician, but I wouldn't consider anything they did to be better than what either Chicago or the Guess Who did. Probably why I don't get a vote.

Marvin

Totally agree on The Guess Who, Chicago, and definetly ELO!

How about Foreigner, The Cars, Jimmy Buffett, Cheap Trick, Linda Ronstadt, The Doobie Brothers.

as Non-performers producers:Roy Thomas Baker,Ted Templeton,Tom Werman.

Bernoe Taupin should be in there as well. without those lyrics we wouldn't have those Elton melodies!

and why the hell isn't Ringo in as a solo artist!

OK,

I may be missing some, but here it is as close to pecking order as possible... Also, it seems as if the R&R Hall of Fame has the "Rolling Stone" magazine syndrome where they vote for stuff like Bonnie Raitt and Jackson Browne before Black Sabbath or Alice Cooper... which is just wrong...

so here those who deserve entrance, say, before Jackson Browne...not that there's anything wrong with him...

1. Alice Cooper

2. Black Sabbath

3. Todd Rundgren

4. New York Dolls

5. Larry Williams (wrote "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" and "Slow Down")

6. Hollies

7. Blondie

8. Iggy & The Stooges

9. The Troggs

10. Small Faces/Faces

11. Monkees

12. Sex Pistols

13. Arthur Alexander

14. Dave Clark 5

15. Zombies

16. Tommy James & Shondells

17. T. Rex

18. Roxy Music

19. Mott The Hoople

20. Jan & Dean

21. MC5

22. Donovan

23. Harry Nilsson

24. Randy Newman

25. Easybeats

and these too: Turtles, Van Halen, Dick Dale, The Crystals, Nick Lowe, 3 Dog Night, Grand Funk, The Jam, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Chicago, Captain Beefheart, Shangri-Las, Quincy Jones, Hall & Oates, Lynard Skynard, Love, Rufus Thomas

Inluences: Big Mama Thornton, Peggy Lee, Frank Sinatra, Shadow Morton, Arthur Crudup

The Hall of Fame has the "Rolling Stone" syndrome because Jann Wenner (RS editor) is on their board. Oh and by the way, Wenner got inducted this year.

I'd agree on The Doobie Brothers, Bernie Taupin, Ted Templeton, Quincy Jones, Todd Rundgren, the Faces, Roxy Music and Randy Newman.

When I was putting together my orginal "who should be in the Hall" list, I had Three Dog Night and Hall & Oates on the list but left them off because I thought my other choices were stronger.

Marvin

The Hall of Fame has the "Rolling Stone" syndrome because Jann Wenner (RS editor) is on their board.

I had Three Dog Night and Hall & Oates on the list but left them off because I thought my other choices were stronger.

Marvin

EVEN THOUGH JANN IS ON THE BOARD, SHOULDN'T MAKE THE CHOICES REFLECT THE MAG'S OLD '70S MO (i.e. where bands like Black Sabbath, early Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull were never given due props because they were more concerned with the hippie strain and singer songwriters).... YEAH, 3 DOG & HALL AND OATES ARE LESSER CHOICES, BUT COMPARED TO THE DELLS, THEY KINDA STAND OUT, TOO

I watched the show last night, and during The Dells acceptence speech they said on behalf of The O'Jays, (and a couple of other groups that the names escape me now)they were glad to be inducted. There's a group that should have gotten in before them. I can't name one single song by The Dells although I've heard of them, but The O"Jays had a string of classic songs. Another travesty last night was Prince getting a whole 15 min at the beginning! I thought he sounded like a bad lounge act. The guys always been very overrated in my opinion.Then Traffic comes on and they only showed thier performance during thier speeches!

Hey, you know what we need right now? Matt Clark to tell us how many albums/CD's were sold by the groups that have been mentioned. Not that its the most important factor, but don't you think record sales indicate a group's impact? Matt, can you help?

Steveh

Yeah, lots of good choices being overlooked.....

It is a bit puzzling seeing Nat King Cole as an early influence, though Sinatra isn't. Even Natalie Cole was puzzle why her dad was inducted.

Let's not forget Jack Douglas and Bob Ezrin, when it comes to producers/engineers.