Contempory Christian Music

Julie

Don't know how many of you are into this genre of music, but I've been listening to a local Christian radio station for the last couple of weeks, and there is some really good stuff out there. The group "Casting Crowns" is great, as is Mark Schultz. Good, solid music--great beats, tight harmonies, uplifting music. Give it a listen!

---Julie

Julie, Playing a lot of church gigs, I have played a lot of Christian music. A man with the last name of Smith and middle initial of W. (forget his first name) wrote a song called "All Is Well" which is gorgeous. He's quite the famous musician in Christian music circles, (quite handsome, too), and played Christ in an Easter religious movie about the crucifixion, which had me in absolute tears during a gig one Easter. I wonder if anyone here knows his first name. His music is phenomenal, and he appeals to the young kids because he writes really contemporary stuff that appeals to them.

smile --D

Michael W. Smith has been a very successful cross over to pop music, also. "Friends" is one my favorite songs. Only other Christian artist that has had more success in pop would be Amy Grant. Steven Curtis Chapman is another talented Christian artist worth a listen. Kirk.

Matthew, Sixpence's "Kiss Me" is a wimpy irritating song and their remake of "There She Goes" was thin and wimpy compared to the original. I still can't beleive this band made it big on those two songs. Nash's voice is sweet but sounds about as good as your average karaoke contest winner. Maybe I need to hear more of their music...And maybe I need to hit my head over and over with my shoe...Same effect. crazy

Tony: I did like their latest CD "Divine Discontent" over the 1998 self titled CD. The remake of Crowded House 1987 song "Don't Dream It's Over" is a close second to the original. Have you heard the song called "Could You Ever Love Me Again" by Gary & Dave from 1973? It has the same melody as the song "Kiss Me" though I can't tell the difference. I went to the Sixpence website but did NOT receive an e-mail because the group probably declined for comment. arrgh Matt

tony........like you don't hit yourself on the head regularly anyway.....

bought the 1998 release and every time i played it my family had to talk me down from the roof....

very dark and depressing cd!!!!!!

agree about the remakes...if your not going to change the song with your own style...why bother.

sixpence played it safe on both..."kiss me" was sappy, but i liked it.

I listen to alot of christian music and actually my wife just bought Mark schultz cd with He's MY Son on it.(very pretty song)Dc Talk (Supernatural)is as good of a rock disc as I've ever heard.Kevin Max did an interesting version of Help Me rhonda onsome Brian wilson tribue CD.You can hear his version on his website.

www.kevinmax.com

I've started to warm up to it....and I think it's getting better, over the years. For the longest time, I have felt a bit uncomfortable listing to contemporary Christian music.....you know, give me some real pop, or some traditional hymns, but none of THIS stuff.......I felt that some of the performances seemed to be a bit pretentious and phony.

But, due to the lack of much happening elsewhere, I have taken a second look....and actually some of it was not too bad.

Even met one of the artists at the airport one time.....had no clue who this Rebecca St. James was, until after someone explained who she was.

As for Leigh Nash.....I like her, mainly because her voice is distinctive/unique. Really like "Kiss Me" a lot. Sixpence also does a cover of "Don't Dream It's Over"......I can actually understand the lyrics---where in the case of the Crowded House version, the words kind of go through you.

But Sixpence doing it in a different key makes it sound TOO bright......

I've heard a couple of Audio Adrenaline and Zoe Girl songs that are decent......and Stacie Errico, one of the locals here, is getting airplay both on the Top 40 and Christian stations.

Kirk, the only Kathy Troccoli song I've heard(at least knowingly)is "Everything Changes"....yes--

based on that one song---I don't think she is distinctive/unique----in fact I had originally thought it was Cher!!

But she is good! Any other songs of hers to suggest to show her true artistry?

Hi Billy--I don't own any of her stuff so I can't make a specific recommendation. I have heard several cuts on Christian radio over the years (usually while in the car) and her ballads are what really stand out in my mind. Although she may sound similar to Cher I think she is vocally more gifted--Kirk.

Speaking of sound-a-likes--If you are a fan of James Taylor then Jim Cole is right up your alley. Writes, sings, arranges, plays, et al. just like James Taylor. His "Merciful God" from 1993 and "Leap Of Faith" from 1996 get a lot of air time on my cd player. It's uncanny how much they sound alike. I would bet that most people could not tell one from the other. Really! Kirk.