Interesting Rumor About Who McCain REALLY Wanted To Pick as VP

JohnO

A rather fascinating rumor floating around DC nowadays revolves around McCain's alleged first choice as a VP running mate, once he decided to go the female route.....Condi Rice, current Secretary of State!

Allegedly, he wanted to pick Rice, but was overruled by the Party due to the widely held and accepted belief that she's a closeted lesbian...which would have turned off a lot of his potential Republican base of voters.

Never mind that she's smart as Hell, very articulate, and WOULD be ready to serve in a heartbeat, should something happen to McCain! To add to her upside - she could out-Black Obama, having 2 African-American parents!

The downside - she comes across as pretty whiny when speaking in public, isn't as camera-friendly as Palin, and has very close ties to GW Bush......and oh yeah, may be a lesbian. (She co-owned a house in California with a known gay woman years ago, and a former manager of Martina Navratilova (sp?) has told various parties that she & Condi dated several years ago in DC.)

Most Republicans I know assume that she's a lesbian, but don't care, as she's always been very discreet regarding her private life. However, had she been selected as McC's running mate, that would obviously change.......Too bad, as that would have made, IMO, a much more interesting race!

(On the other hand, far and away her strongest suit, foreign affairs, might not have mattered....since the economy has overtaken anything and everything as an issue the past month....)

Per a Gay friend of mine at work, this story was on the front page of The Blade, DC's gay/lesbian/transgendered/she-male/whatever-the Hell newspaper last week.....Had the headline mentioned her as a VP possibility, I'm sure a lot more people would have read it....instead of the much more pleasing "Condi Is Gay?" headline, which wasn't really news to most of this city!

R-Athens - Insightful??? What does the fourth word of my post "rumor" mean to you? My guess is the Post and NY tabloids would have been all over this, if there were any solid/hard facts backing it up.....whether it's true or not!

"What ever happened to choosing the most qualified person for the job?"

Larry - As long as any of us have been alive on this board, and I'm sure, a lot further back than that, it's always been - "the most qualified person for the job.....who can pass any sort of scrutiny by the press, who's acceptable to the extreme factions of the party, who's able to get us some key swing states, who's.....etc."

IMO, this is precisely how we wound up with Palin this time! Apparently, McCain really wanted a female running mate, plus someone who had the potential to dazzle the media like Obama does, who has executive experience, etc., etc., etc. By the time all of the qualifiers ended, she may have been the best one out there!

On the other hand, I think the nominating process for President also needs a lot of tweaking....it usually winds up being the candidate who gets the biggest jump on the rest as far as raising tons of money, best one in front of the media, etc.

True - McCain started off in '06-'07 very slowly, hardly placing anywhere in the polls, Once the primaries started, he only won New Hampshire of the first 4-5 races, with Huckabee & Romney winning the others.

McCain's winning South Carolina and then Florida back to back in late January killed off Giuliani, who had been the presumptive favorite throughout most of '07....and his winning practically all of the larger Super Tuesday states (including California, NY, Illinois, NJ, Arizona, etc.) weakened Romney & Huckabee to the point that they were non-factors the rest of the way. I believe Romney dropped out very shortly after Super Tuesday, and Huckabee lasted until the next round of primaries - mid-Feb or so.

While there have certainly been nominations sewn up more quickly than that...considering the fact that he was running 3rd at best in most Jan. 08 polls, McCain clawed his way to the top of that heap very quickly once he got started! (And admittedly, it seemed a lot quicker when compared to the Obama-Hillary marathon slugfest....)

What ever happened to choosing the most qualified person for the job?

a) The most qualified person/people for the job are too damned smart to put their personal lives on public display for the "honor"...

B) This is an MTV generation... making the "appearance" all the more important... think guys like Abraham Lincoln could have stood a chance having to have his mug all over television all the time?

c) The press... the press... the press... be it print or electronic media... control the process way too much... because there is no regulations that really force them to be fair. Even when they give "equal time", their obvious slant, usually liberal aside from FOX-NEWS, is simply disgusting. They show us what they want us to see... the bad side of a Republican 90% of the time and the good side of a Democrat the same amount... You can make Forest Gump look like a genius if you edit the movie right... eek

IMO, this is precisely how we wound up with Palin this time! By the time all of the qualifiers ended, she may have been the best one out there!

well, probably not 'best', but certainly the one they figured would catch everyone's eye & attention, which worked for about 2 days after the convention. boy has that ever proven to be a mistake; they should've vetted Tx Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, except that she votes lock-step w/ Bush, which may have been her dealkiller

well, probably not 'best', but certainly the one they figured would catch everyone's eye & attention, which worked for about 2 days after the convention. boy has that ever proven to be a mistake; they should've vetted Tx Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, except that she votes lock-step w/ Bush, which may have been her dealkiller (like maybe Condi was)

Yes, female, black, gay. I think the Republican base would have had many problems with that. The fact that shes distinguished, experienced, Republican, the Secretary of State with prinary foreign relations dealings in crucial issues, would have had to have taken a back seat to the "more important issues" for that base. Says alot of our politics and our times.