Microphone Advice

blackhawkpat

I'm looking into buying a new microphone for a recording project. Everyone here says I should purchase a Shure SM58, but now I am hearing that Shure is releasing a new model called Beta 58 later this month. Any advice from the recording engineers on the board?

This mike would be used for studio only (not outside live performing), only for vocals (not for instruments)and I don't have a ton to spend (trying to stay under $200).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Well...for recording purposes, to get really great quality, you would have to spend much more than 200$...that is just the nature of recording mics. The SM58 is THE most flexible mic around and the most resistent to taking a beating...that is why it iis so popular for live performance. As a recording mic, it is very average...but for the money you want to spend, it might just well be your only choice.

Any recording I have ever done were either done in studios where they had tube mics worth a fortune, or in mybasement using a 58...I have always been disappointed by the 58's performance on tape...but it is not degined for studio work...you may want to get your stuff down pat, then rent a tube mic for for the final takes...

The Shure SM57 (Very similar to the 58, doesn't have the midrange presence boost)is a studio staple. Has been for years. Mostly used on drums, but some GREAT vocals have been recorded on the 57 & the 58. Microphones are like paint brushes, and one mic won't fit every situation. What works well on one particular voice does not always work well for the next voice in line. Actually, a $15.00 microphone in the right room, positioned in the right place, with a voice suited for it, can sound like a million bucks! A great vocal mic for under $200.00 is a Studio Projects C3 and it's cousin the B3. (The asian capsules have come a long way!)It has 3 patterns (Card-omni-fig8)and works well on a wide variety of vocalists. It's also killer on acoustic guitar. At the other end of the spectrum is the good ol' Neumann U87. WAY above what you want to spend though, and it may not fit your situation. Hope this helps!

Get a Behringer B-1 large diaphragm condenser mic. You can get it at musiciansfriend.com for $100. I got one and it's really worth the money. The SM58 is used mostly as a live vocal microphone. Any large diaphragm condenser mic will do great on vocals. You need phantom power to use this mic but most mixers have that availability today.

Good luck!

Paul

Most PA-type mixers do not have phantom power, though just about everthing Mackie makes does.

You might also get a preamp of some sort that does have the phantom power. The ART Tube MP is around the $120 range and does a good job for a reasonable price.

There have been a lot of decent, reasonably priced condenser mikes out lately....you may also check Rode, Oktava, Marshall Electronics, Nady, and a host of other brands that run $200 or less.

As for the SM57, one song that comes to mind that was recorded, using that mike was Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean".......engineer Bruce Swedien actually used a more expensive mike to begin with, but felt the sound wasn't "gritty" enough, and went to the SM57.