Who remembers Joe South?

ira

Joe South had a year or two when he was the "Flavor of the Month". I just got an album which is part of a "Capitol" greatest hits series called "Classic Masters" for about five and a half dollars and free shipping from "Overstock.com".It is a steal! Joe's 'Don't It Make You Wanna Go Home:-a lost hit I lovingly remember- and his versions of "Rose Garden" and "Hush" -which he wrote- are tremendous.I really suggest you buy it for yourself for Christmas or Chanukah.-Ira.

Actually, I remember quite well in 1968 hearing "Polk Salad Annie" done by Tony Joe White. I am almost sure he wrote the song as well. And yes, Elvis, did record it as well. I am not sure Joe South ever recorded it. But it would not surprise me since he was from Atlanta that he did record it on an album.

Phil

By the way Joe South's original version of "I Never Promised You A Rose Garden" shocked me.Unlike the huge hit version by Lynn Anderson, it-like Eric's Make Me Lose Control seems to be a tribute to the Phil Spector/Ronettes/Hispanic New York/"Knock Three Times"/great records of the past, castanets and all.I was just thinking.Is anyone familiar with "Love On The Wrong Side Of Town" by Southside Johnny and The Asbury Jukes and penned by Bruce Springsteen? What a "Killer" example of this wonderful sound.Gotta go.Though I don't take N.Y. City public transportation I'd best leave early-the roads may be crazy.Music is indeed the best part of New York.I could take or leave the rest of it.-Ira.