The year the music died...

marvin

"A long long time ago, I can still remember how that music used to make me smile..." Don Mclean

With all due respects to Don McLean, 1975 was the year when the music really died. It was a lifetime ago for some of us, but when Raspberries called it quits, the music that mattered the most to me, effectively died. I was 15 years old, wondering what was lying ahead, wondering if I'd ever find music that would move me in the same way as the music of the 'berries had. Though I knew that there was no musical replacement for the 'berries, I also knew that music in all it's wonder and glory would find a place of resolve for me.

Growing up, I was lucky to have been exposed to many different styles of music. This made it easier to keep an open mind and an open ear to other styles that I might not have otherwise given a chance. I fell heavily for the lyricism and musical abilities of acts such as C,S&N, Jackson Browne, the Eagles, and Dan Fogelberg. Performers such as Bruce Springsteen and the music of Motown reminded me how music can make you think while at the same time touch your soul. And then there were artists such as Dwight Twilley and Marshall Crenshaw who ensured that I never lost my love for Pop music.

Though I never found a replacement for the 'berries (there never will be one, will there?), I found many other acts that brought joy into my life and have continued to bring me musical listening pleasure. So Eric's solo career notwithstanding, what music did you turn to after the 'berries? What was your new find?

Marvin

it's really weird for me to see anyone talking about Dakota like this, ted!

At home, it's just like "oh, yeah, Dakota's playing again"...

Not that they're not good, I don't mean it that way, but it's odd for me to see people online even mentioning a band from my city, let alone being "really into them". A lot of people have never even heard of Dakota.

If I lived in a big place like NY or Cleveland, I guess it wouldn't seem as odd, but my city is the size of a postage stamp, and most local bands don't "make it big".

to answer your question, marvin, for a good many years after 1975, I was so busy being a wife and mom, a lot of music just went right past me. I know that sounds unbelievable for a music lover, but remember, I worked 11 at night to 7 in the morning so I could be home with my son in the daytime when he was awake. Then my hubby would come home from work around 4, I'd go to bed for a few hours, and go to work again. My days were filled with housekeeping, laundry, and diapers, not to mention shopping, playing with my son, reading to him, teaching him to walk, talk, etc. Music took a back seat in my life for a while, I didn't even know about Tonight You're Mine for quite a while after it was out.

I always liked Tommy James and the Shondells, and TJ had a solo career going for a while, and I did buy his solo releases. I also liked disco, because I was a dancer, and for a dancer, disco was a breath of fresh air after years of people dancing a mile away from each other. I also like 80's music, and a lot of my favorite songs to this day are 80's songs. The last "new" bands I really got into much were Culture Club and INXS.

Julia your Dakota story is awfully similar to what the 'berries went through in Cleveland: "Oh the Raspberries are playing in town..." I have an interview with Eric where he mentions that the band broke in major cities like NY and Boston before Cleveland woke up to the fact that they were a national act.

As far as post-'berries music goes, I think you'll see a real diverse list mentioned on this thread. I had never heard of Dakota before Ted made me a mix of their music. I also actually had the two Culture Club albums. In January 1983 I was in England and heard "Karma Chameleon" months before it was released in North America and before the Boy George fascination started.

Marvin

Back in 1995, Hootie And The Blowfish rocked & had the # 1 CD of that year & in 1996, Jacob Dylan & The Wallflowers rocked & rapper 2Pac Shakur died but something stranged happened...it was called ELECTRONICA (The Chemical Brothers (Block Rockin' Beats), The Crystal Method (Busy Child) & Prodigy (Firestarter, Smack My B---h Up) that ruled back in 1997. The next year in 1998, boy bands Backstreet Boys & N'Sync spoiled the radio boom!! shockedhaha Matt

Like the "year" the music died (1959), 1975 was indeed a low point in the evolution of rock and roll with a serious dearth of anything positive in a "progressive" sense or what could be considered the spirit of rock and roll.

The Berries died as Big Star fizzled, Badfinger lost Apple. John Lennon retired. The key players in England's glam/gliter scene were toast. Slade were basically finished. T. Rex was as well. Bowie & Roxy Music saw the writing on the wall and went searching for other things. Motown was done too, with the exception of Stevie.

Pop radio was truly becoming pap radio. Disco on the rise. AOR by the door. Most of our favorite '70s singer-songwriters were on a downhill swing afterwards hardly cutting anything as monumental as their stuff during the first half of the decade.

The only upswing of '75 was Bruce Springsteen, Patti Smith, The Dictators, and The Dwight Twilley Band. The next year punk and new wave would emerge & by 77-78 we had truckloads of all kinds of interesting stuff again. Many following the lead of The Raspberries & Big Star. This was what was needed to battle against corporate (cookie-cutter) rock even though there was equal amounts of cookie-cutter stuff from that scene as well.

Julia,

Yeah, Dakota is the 'Berries' of NE PA. They have been at it for 30+ years and still record.

Last month Jerry Hludzik (main Dakota dude) was in Orlando on vacation and we got together for the first time in about 18 years. He was kind enough to give me a complete catalogue (7 CDs) of their entire recorded music. I have compiled a 16 track CD of what I consider (subjective) to be their best material.

The latest material is his best and was only recorded last year. The CD includes some amazing live material from circa 1980-81 at a time when they opened for Queen (35 cities).

If anyone (especially you Julia) wants a copy of some fantastic, melodic, songs featuring superb musicianship and outstanding harmonies just forward your address (see my profile) to me. Be sure to place Dakota in the subject so I won't inadvertantly delete your request. I don't think the folks on this board will be disappointed.

Just ask Julia and AnnieKNY.

Julia, are you still coming to Orlando next month? Send the dates to me so Ruthie and I can meet up with you guys.

Marv, wait until you hear the new Dakota compilation CD. You'll be a believer.

Send your requests folks, operators are standing by.

Ted

yes, Ted, I arrive in Orlando May 12. The 15, 16, and 17 I will be spending in Epcot because Gary Puckett is there those nights, and I will be at every show! So if you want to meet us any of those nights, it will have to be somewhere in Epcot. You're welcome to go to the shows with us, there's no tickets required. The following Saturday we will be in MGM for the Star Wars Weekend. All other days we will be in Disney World somewhere! We'll be spending a day with friends of ours who work for Disney, but exactly which day I don't know yet, they have to wait and get their work schedules.

We're staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, arriving the 12th, leaving the 22nd. I will have a laptop with me, and will be checking in here as usual, so I won't be hard to find. I'll have my cell phone, too, do you still have my number?

Marvin,

Good question. Its been decades since I felt any new band was "great". I think our generation was spoiled by the brilliance of such bands as The Beatles, The Who, and Raspberries. Ted, Boston and Journey are two excellent bands, and I have to admit I don't know anything about The Outfield or Dakota.

To answer your question, Marvin, the groups I still love with a passion are: EC/Raspberries, The Beatles, The Who, Van Halen (with David Lee Roth only), The B-52's, Kansas, Styx, REOSpeedwagon, The Grassroots, and The Guess Who.

Steveh

Marvin, I agree that 1975 was the year the music died. I was *heartbroken* when Raspberries broke up. I was so wild about the music I was desolate over the breakup. But I knew they were just too great to disappear after so short a time, so I truly believed they would reemerge, just didn't know when. I was always into Led Zep, (I know you're going, "arrrggghh!")The Kinks, The Who and Elton (not to mention the Beatles), so they continued to pour from my stereo, although I played Raspberries albums more than ever. I'll never forget the day my then-boyfriend (who was insanely jealous of Raspberries) brought over a news article detailing the breakup with the byline, "Second Batch of Berries Goes Sour." As he gloated, after I stopped murmuring, "Oh no...." over and over again, I just said, "They'll be back." He said, "Sure, tomorrow." I always believed they were meant to be. I followed Eric's solo career the way I did Raspberries, and knew I would see him sing again also. The first part of my dream came true when I saw Eric onstage at The Dirty Dancing Show and again with Ringo. The second part came true on November 26, 2004 in Cleveland, and it gets better and better. "The music" is alive and flourishing again!

One of these days, I'm going to look John up and let him know I was right.

smile --Darlene