"The Cars" Touring in 2006?

Tim From Wisconsin

Marvin, you are right on the mark about Foreigner. The sound indeed is much like a more progressive Bad Company.....and the timing was certainly perfect for them coming on the scene, when Rodgers and Co. had a bit of a lull......

I have to cringe every time I hear "Head Games", knowing what happened during the production of the album. "Head Games" cost about double of what "Double Vision" was to produce.....which shouldn't be that way. There was a lot of wasted studio time, due to not being rehearsed and ready, and too much studio fixing. And mostly drug problems and other kinds of slacking off within the band.

As for Van Halen, they are really a tight band, either with Roth, or with Hagar. Both also add their unique style and sense of humor.

Although Hagar can play an instrument(guitar), unlike Roth, there is still something missing with Van Hagar.......and that is the songwriting..

just isn't as good, and I can't pinpoint why.

Hagar is definitely capable(actually enjoy his Montrose and solo stuff), and so are the other band members.......but I enjoy Roth-era stuff better, for that reason....

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bernie and Kathy, based on the live cuts I heard of the current Foreigner lineup on "Rockline" a few months back, I think you're in for a pleasant surprise.

New singer Kelly Hansen probably does Lou Gramm better than Lou Gramm does these days.

The live tracks sounded really good. And since Jason Bonham's in the band, they've been doing "Misty Mountain Hop" and a bit of "Whole Lotta Love."

Could be a good show. Hope so!

Howard

"Misty Mountain Top" and "Whole Lotta Love"??? Yikes!! and Ugh!! I don't believe that those songs would have been in the set list if Mick Jones was still involved.

Marv

Are you sure he's not? The Foreigner page seems to indicate that he is. If Mick was gone, there'd be no originals left at all, right? Still, I suspect they want to pay tribute to the Bonham family mainly.

Mick Jones owns the name Foreigner. If he's there, it's Foreigner. He's the only original member in the current band, although the keyboardist (forget his name) and multi-instrumentalist (sax, etc) Thom Gimbel have been with previous versions of the band.

I agree with Dougjack--the Zeppelin songs are a tribute to a family legacy (also, Jason played with Jimmy Page and in a few Zeppelin reunion sets).

Also, a good indication that this Foreigner plans to go in a rock direction in the promised new recordings.

Howard

Yep, Mick's the only original member.

Lou was the only other original member involved in Foreigner since the early 1990s when original drummer Dennis Elliot left the band.

The current Foreigner is:

Mick Jones-lead guitar

Kelley Hansen-vocals

Jeff Pilson-bass

Jason Bonham-drums

Jeff Jacobs-keyboards

Thom Gimbel-sax, guitar, etc.

H

My take on Foreigner 2005: So…Mick Jones' guitar *does* sound exactly like Foreigner, but that's about it. Everybody else does a fine job, and the new lead singer sounded close, but not exact, which lead me to keep thinking that I was watching AMERICAN IDOL, with one of the contestants doing a good job singing the tunes.

I mean, what's Mick Jones to do?!?

He wrote the some massive '70s hits and just wants to keep playing them. I mean, the set list was incredible for anyone who had a radio back then: "Feels Like the First Time," "Cold As Ice," "Long, Long Way From Home," "Hot Blooded," "Double Vision," "Blue Morning, Blue Day," "Dirty White Boy," "Head Games," "Urgent," "Waiting for a Girl Like You," 'Juke Box Hero," "I Want to Know What Love Is" -- I didn't rememberthem having so many hits, but they did, and playing them one after another made you realize how much they ruled radio back then. Still, there was only ONE member of Foreigner on stage.

Made me really appreciate how extraordinary this Raspberries reunion is!

Bernie

Wow.

"The Cars" announce a "reunion" tour, then "Foreigner" plays a "reunion" gig at Galt Airport in Gereenwood, IL and steals the entire thread!

Thanks for the review, Bernie; I bet it was a kind of "American Idol" experience.

I agree, they DID rule the airwaves 79-ish. I even met 'em in a record store and they were pretty nice guys for being stuck in a record store with the likes of me.

LOTSO hits; I even liked "I Want to Know What Love Is" the first few times.

Last word (?) must go to pierson; "Looks like a cover band to me...... or tribute.... w/ a special guest of course..."

"K"