Eric by Candlelight.....

Julie

Well, I'm feeling bad for all of you out East without any power and hoping all are safe and sound. I know many of you won't even see this till things are back on, but do hope you know that the rest of us are thinking of you!

Eric, hope you have a notepad, a pen and a candle. You've used "light" in songs before, maybe this is a sign for you to write some new songs?? LOL!

--Julie

Hello, our power came on at 5 45am this morning, wow, I'm glad, I was shocked when I heard the power went off all the way to Cleveland from

New York The falls and of our Canada, Hamilton,Ontario.

Now we can continue to write each other.

I was hoping to wake up to cup coffee this morning, I am, right, I'm on my first.

Take care guys, feel free to write me,ok

We were without power in Middlefield Ohio for 10 hours. When the blackout hit we were at the "Winkin Lizard eatery" in Coventry on the way back from University Hospital in Cleveland. We took route #322 a main artery out of Cleveland and Eric's house is located just a few miles away and no power was anywhere. Also water concerns are affecting Cleveland suburbs and not sure if Eric's suburb is part of the problem? One thing for sure is the Amish in Middlefield weren't impacting due to their belief in no electricity!

I can't explain this, but the power outage missed us! We took my elderly aunt refrigerator shopping last night in a neighboring town where I work (East Brunswick) and there was no power outage there either. We were shopping for hours, and were shocked to learn of the blackout! We watched television, transfixed, hearing about this massive event from Canada and New York all the way to Michigan and Cleveland! We heard the news reports that Cleveland only had about 4 hours of water left, and that there would be none for days! Eric and family, BOIL YOUR WATER for at least three minutes after power is restored to guarantee purity! (But you already know that). It was amazing to see all the hotel guests in New York sleeping on the street! Here's hoping everyone's power (and water) is restored quickly.

smile --Darlene

Julie, "Eric by Candle Light" was such a great post! That should DEFINITELY inspire him to write. I've always thought of him as a present-day Mozart, and Mozart did plenty of writing by candlelight, and look what HE produced! Maybe in the dark his children won't be able to find him to interrupt...

smile --Darlene

We are hearing from several media sources that the problem may have eminated from the Cleveland Ohio area (Perry nuclear power plant?) Interesting enough we had scheduled our all acoutic jam on our deck for Thursday evening and it went without a hitch. Could not have scheduled any better than that since our power went off in that afternoon and was not turned back on until the following morning. Don't worry about Eric since he has Amish friends in Middlefield where he and his family could stay if needed. They use no electricity and drive horse and buggies and are very independent to say the least.

Roonie, How odd, that the blackout may have begun in Cleveland! This was the most extensive blackout in the history of North America! My husband says the power surge started in the home studio of Eric Carmen--he said all of that talent was just too much for the grid to handle! I could certainly agree with that, but I won't blame Eric for it. Thanks so much for your timely update on things Cleveland!

smile --Darlene

In January 1998 the East (specifically Quebec, northern NY state, parts of New England, parts of Ontario and parts of the Maritime provinces) experienced an ice storm that wiped out electricity for a minimum of 10 days for some people (me!), and close to a month for others. It was an experience that those of us who lived through will never forget. If there's going to be a power outage, I'll take a blackout during the hot days of August over one in the middle of winter any day.

MARVIN

Now were back on track to the first day of the week and let's hope we stay on it ok with hydro and

also within mind to buy the, Best Of Raspberries", coming out soon.

Here in Hamilton,Ontario, we are asked still to cut back on hydro usage.

The day to start off is sunny and the temp here is comfortable, not too hot.

All investigations are pointing to Cleveland in the Blackout of 2003. Why this happened remains to be seen? Nothing would surprise us here in Northeast Ohio. We have been spearheading an environmental cleanup movement in our town of Middlefield Ohio for over 10 years now. Coverup and corruption are rampant as big business rules in our small town. We meet with our state representative today on this issue and he may introduce a bill to clean up our polluted water and soil in our community. The Amish are the perfect victims for these corporations. If anyone is interested in reading more go the clevescene.com website and under search look for "While the EPA Slept" written by Sarah Fenske. Thanks!

Roonie, I'm amazed. Middlefield, OH sounds like an "American as apple pie" community where only nice things happen. So sorry about these crummy corporations. Give 'em hell! The Amish are such fine people, it pains me to hear they can be targets. I taught school in Roanoke, Illinois (30 miles east of Peoria) and we had Mennonites and Apostolic Christians who made up 90% of the community. On my first day there, they brought eggs, homebaked bread and all kinds of goodies for "the new teacher." I was dazzled by their kindness and warmth. They invited me to their homes and their church (The AC church was an immense structure. Church lasted four hours with an hour lunch break in a huge, family-staffed cafeteria and the children were so musically talented, they sang hymns in four part harmony! I was in "Heaven" there!) They were also the nicest people. I didn't realize there were Amish people in Ohio until I heard they were building Eric's new construction.

smile --Darlene

Along with family the Amish are another reason we moved back to Middlefield Ohio after living in Florida & California in the seventies. They are among the most honest & hard working sect of people you could meet. Darlene has shared her positive experience with Mennonites an (off shoot) of the Amish. The unfortunate part is their limited education (8th - grade) and their vunerability. Also inbreeding does occur and is all the more reason to protect their drinking water from mutagenic chemicals & contamination. Unfortunately, the Amish have been victimized and abused in the industries in this town and now are being blamed by the corporations for the contamination!