What is your "skeleton" CD

JCraft

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some notes I have to make here:

...Nothing wrong with Rick Springfield. My younger sis was a huge fan of his from age 6 on. Still is. Boy, did she see a lot of changes in his life! We remember back when he was a cartoon character on the old "Mission: Magic" TV show!

...Hello People opened for Eric at least once, when he played the Palace in Painesville during his very early solo career. I still have the news clips.

...I've heard of Trooper, but then again I ended up listening to a lot of Canadian radio as a kid!

Keep it going Bob. wink

Darlene for a Rick Springfield primer, check out his "Best Of." He's a very accomplished singer/songwriter and guitarist.

The same K-tel album in 1972 that introduced me to "Go All the Way", also introduced me to Rick's first North American hit, "Speak to the Sky." Hey Andy, remember doing that one in the church choir?!

Marvin

Marvin...! Oh, did you bring back a lot of memories mentioning that K-Tel album! I got that for Christmas in '73...it was a three-record set called "Today's Super Greats," wasn't it? Had all those great early '70s hitmakers on it...Mouth & MacNeal and that "How Do You Do" song....LOL! Skylark's "Wildflower"...Jud Strunk's "Daisy a Day"...Donny Osmond's "Go Away Little Girl" (which was the cut right before GATW and which I HATED)...Steam's "Na Na, Hey Hey, Kiss Him Goodbye"...the Bells' "Stay Awhile"...many songs I had never heard before and never would again...but heck, it was my first copy of anything "Raspberries." Not sure why I waited so long to actually start collecting THEIR albums...Starting Over was my first when it came out, then I got Fresh for Christmas '74, but I did not actually get my "own" copies of the first one or Side 3 until my Carmen Connection days and they were secondhand...I guess I had spent so long listening to my sister's that I didn't really need my own copies until I went off to college! In the meantime, I had that K-Tel set...and of all the stuff I have ever owned that is probably my "skeleton" record set!

I didn't know GATW was on a K-tel. I didn't have very many, but I had a Chartstoppers, or something. My old friends, The Glass Bottle, had their one hit, "Ain't Got Time Anymore" on it. I loved that song. Still cherish the album. The lead singer was Gary Kriss. He was from Argentina, I think.

smile --Darlene

Sorry to bring up something that came a little while ago, but I had a "cookie" problem signing in. The song "Raise a Little Hell" came up a while back. Now maybe there where some chemical influences, but I could swear I heard the Michael Stanley Band (they were filling in for no-show Folglberg as opener at an Eagles concert) do that song. I could be wrong. I know that Your Mama Don't Dance was part of the set. By the way, I haven't seen The Jackson 5's name come up, but I'm betting some of you have ABC and Stop the Love You Save stuck in that closet!!

JIM

As far as I'm concerned, "I Want You Back" has one of THE greatest intros of any pop song of all time...I cannot help but want to jump out of my seat and dance...sure, the Jacksons had a lot of good songs (somehow I was able to convince myself that enjoying their music as a kid didn't make me a teenybopper).

Back to what JCraft said about Michael Stanley Band playing "Raise a Little Hell"--I don't know if they did, but it's possible. After all, they probably ended up listening to a lot of Canadian radio too!

Did any of the Clevelanders mention that a while ago a local comedy troupe put on an original comic musical called "MIchael Stanley Superstar"? I didn't see it but I imagine it was pretty funny, given than apparently little attempt was made to seriously chronicle his life factually but simply to have fun with him as a godlike figure of Cleveland rock. The Plain Dealer had an article about it and the reporter asked "Why Michael Stanley? Why not Eric Carmen or Sonny Geraci?" and they said it was because Michael Stanley was THE quintessential Cleveland rock star. Which is true in the provincial sense--he's the one Cleveland rock star who is almost unknown outside of town. (The one time I actually heard a guy from Bogota, Colombia playing Michael Stanley on his stereo--he was an apartment mate--it turned out he used to have a roommate from Cleveland!)

I remember those songs very well, popdude and Marvin, because I began teaching in NJ around that time--came back from Illinois because my Dad was ill. I took a temporary job teaching vocal music (not my first love), and was assigned to a ghetto school which had gone through 3 vocal music teachers in as many months. I started November 1st, and the vocal teacher I was replacing merely said "They're ANIMALS!" Two of my 6th grade girls were "ladies of the evening" and one of my 6th grade boys spent his weekends in Newark at drug parties and was always buzzed on Monday mornings. (He had been retained about 3 times and was about 15). Trying to teach them part singing and folk songs went nowhere, so I had to concede the repertoire, and got them on my side by doing Smokey Robinson and Jackson Five tunes on their concerts. I had to learn how to play all of it on the piano and accompany them. "J-5" saved my butt! When I left, they were actually sad. They said "Teacher, you're cool."

smile --Darlene

The bass line in "I Want You Back" is a work of a genius - James Jamerson. If you've never seen the movie, "Standing In the Shadows of Motown", due yourself a favor and rent the DVD, and then pay homage to some of the greatest pop/jazz musicians of all time, the inimitable Funk Brothers.

Marvin