What are the songs with the best oboe arrangements for you?

Carmen Smalley

I¥ll only mention one.I don¥t know if it¥s the best one or not,but I can¥t stop listening to.I always find something new in it.Is I Can¥t Let Maggie Go by Honeybus.They say they are the English Left Banke,but I think they are different.This song is not very sad when you listen to it for the first time,but when you start to listen to it once and twice...you find out is one of the sadder songs ever!

Will have to really think of what the best oboe arrangement is.....but I will mention what the most UNUSUAL use of an oboe is........the end section of the Monkees' "Daydream Believer".... always thought it was soprano sax but it is actually an oboe wailing during the fade-out.....

My favorite to play along with would be "Happy Together" by the Turtles. I think the oboe part was the middle eight and counterpoint to the melody. Classically, there was a tune called "Ebb Tide" where the oboe carries the melody all the way through. Used to play along with that one, also. Kirk. (1st chair oboe Orville Wright Junior High Band)

Alright, Kirk! My hat is off to anyone who made 1st chair oboe in ANY band! I knew you were a man of culture and accomplishment! If I could have played a second instrument (the first one took all my time) it would have been the oboe. I am in love with it as well as the violin. It's so poignant and beautiful. Heinz Holliger is my fave oboist. What a dark, gorgeous, rich sound he has!

The violin has always been called the most difficult instrument, but I disagree. The oboe is the most treacherous of all to play! My college roommate was a fine oboist, and she spent all of her time in the reed room, making reeds. She could make two exactly the same, and then play them and one would not work. One never knew what sound would come out of the oboe at any given time, due to the reed! Still, I love the oboe.

smile --Darlene

• 4 weeks later...

well, "Got No Mind" by The Flashcubes, of course...especially in the live version (Raw Power Pop: Live In Japan) where drummer Tommy Allen steps out (mid-song) and does an amazing oboe solo---that and "Go ALl The Way" by The Raspberries...... Wally has always been a magnificent Oboe-ist.... just kidding, of course... Troggs' "Wild Thing" almost counts, but it's called an ocarina or something like that...