April Wine

marvin

Just wondering whether anyone other than the Canadians on this list have ever heard of April Wine? In the 1970's and 1980's they were (IMO) the best Canadian rock band and Andy (Bahoo) and I were big fans. We got to see them perform a number of times during their heyday and they were always a great act live. They never attained the success in the U.S. as some other Canadian acts of the time such as B.T.O. or RUSH, I think the U.S. audience probably knows them best by the songs "Roller" and "Just Between You and Me" which were both Top 20 hits in the 1980's. April Wine have a ton of killer ballads (songs like "I Wouldn't Want to Lose Your Love" or "Like A Lover, Like A Song") and uptempo songs, and their lead singer/songwriter Myles Goodwin can write catchy songs with the best of them. The band is now into its 3rd decade and are still pulling in crowds in Canada. Check out their website www.aprilwine.ca if you want further information.

Marvin

Also check out "On Record" from 1972 (which contains the remake of Hot Chocolate's "You Could Have Been A Lady" on Big Tree/Bell Records which went to # 32 on the Billboard Hot 100 Charts back in May of 1972) which might have inspired the Jacksons' "Blame It On The Boogie" which went to # 54 (Hot 100) back in December of 1978. The album called "April Wine" (On Record) went to # 205 on the Billboard Bubbling Under Album Charts back in November of 1972. It also contains the remake of "Bad Side Of The Moon" (peaked at # 106 back in July of 1972) which was done originally by Elton John on his 11-17-70 live album. The cover is different from Canada. Also check out "Stand Back" from 1975 which is my favorite April Wine album of all. The album or singles did not chart in the U.S. though. Singer Myles Goodwyn got a East Coast Music Award Of Merit which I saw on CBC back in March of last year. Canadian Singer Tara MacLean did a good version of "You Could Have Been A Lady". I will give you the rest of the Billboard information of April Wine this weekend because I am tired watching the Michigan Wolverines lose to USC Trojans by a score of 28-14. zzz Matt

"You Could Have Been A Lady", "Bad Side Of the Moon" and "Weeping Widow" were April Wine's first big hits in Canada. The oldies stations here play April Wine a lot and the songs from the "Stand Back" album have stood the test of time (in Canada), especially "Oowatanite", "I Wouldn't Want to Lose Your Love" and "Tonite Is A Wonderful Time To Fall In Love." April Wine's leader Myles Goodwin knew his way around a commercial hook and AW's best songs had hooks galore. As Matt as stated, their chart activity in the U.S. was not great, but in Canada they've always been successful.

Marvin

Marvin: Spending summers on Lake Ontario, we were always tuned in to CKLC in Kingston, which is where I got to hear some damn fine Canadian pop: April Wine, Pagliaro, Octavian, Lighthouse (sometimes), Craig Rhunke and many others (most long forgotten no doubt...remember Seadog's 'Holdin Your Hand'? Only heard it during the summer of '73 but it still lingers in my mind. Great summer single). April Wine seemed to blow hot and cold, able to come up w/ killer, memorable pop tunes like some of those already mentioned ('Like a Lover Like a Song' is a classic power pop ballad as is 'Come Here the Band') but more often than not putting out mediocre boogie-type rock and roll stuff. Loved 'Stand Back' however. Overall, kind of spotty, but, bless 'em, you gotta give them credit for hanging in.

Bob Allen

Syracuse, NY

Bob your critique of April Wine is very accurate. I guess I have a soft spot for them since they come from Montreal as well. When AW hit the mark, they hit the bulls-eye dead-on, and other times it was literally a miss-fire. Their ballads rank up there with some of the best by any artist and I'll take their ballads over most of their uptempo stuff anyday. The albums "Stand Back" and "The Whole World's Going Crazy" were very strong. My "Best of April Wine" would include the following songs:

1. Bad Side Of the Moon

2. Wings Of Love

3. Like A Lover, Like A Song

4. Shotdown

5. Just Between You And Me

6. Lady Run, Lady Hide

7. Come Hear the Band

8. Forever For Now

9. Marjorie

10. Comin' Right Down On Top Of Me

11. You Won't Dance With Me

12. I Wouldn't Want to Lose Your Love

13. Tonite Is A Wonderful Time to Fall In Love

14. Rock n' Roll Is A Vicious Game

15. I'm On Fire For You Baby

16. Don't Push Me Around

17. Say Hello

18. Roller

Marvin

Number 13 on Marvins List, Yeh!

It would be great for me, I'm still looking for a loved one to fall in love tonight.

Or any night.

Hey guys, how about, Bread, not the kind you eat,but, you know, David Gates, yes, a good singer, he has a great selection of songs also.

Huh?

Edward Bear, "The Last Song" Larry Evoy.

Here is the rest of the Billboard Charts for April Wine. The song "Roller" went to # 34 (Hot 100) back in May of 1979. The next single "Say Hello" went to # 104 (Bubbling Under) back in January of 1980. The song called "I Like To Rock" went to # 86 (Hot 100) back in Feburary of 1980. Other songs were "Just Between You And Me" (their biggest single in the U.S.) went to # 21 (Hot 100 which contains a fold-out poster sleeve) & # 11 (Billboard Album Rock Tracks) back in April of 1981, "Sign Of The Gypsy Queen" went to # 57 (Hot 100) & # 19 (Album Rock) back in June of 1981, "All Over Town" # 29 (Album Rock) back in April of 1981, "Enough Is Enough" # 50 (Hot 100) & # 9 (Album Rock) back in July of 1982, "If You See Kay" # 26 (Album Rock) back in July of 1982, "This Could Be The Right One" # 58 (Hot 100) & # 23 (Album Rock) back in March of 1984 & "That's Love" # 35 (Album Rock) back in December of 1993. On the Billboard Top 200 Album Charts, "First Glance" went to # 114 back in June of 1979, "Harder...Faster" went to # 64 (Gold) back in Feburary of 1980, "The Nature Of The Beast" (Platinum) went to # 26 back in April of 1981, "Power Play" went to # 37 back in September of 1982, "Animal Grace" went to # 62 back in April of 1984 & "Walking Through Fire" went to # 174 back in October of 1985. By the way from the album "Walking Through Fire", the song called "Rock Myself To Sleep" was also a remake by Starship (formerly "Jefferson Starship" from "Knee Deep In The Hoopla") that same year but the song did not chart on the Billboard Album Rock Charts. Matt

Just about every song that AW charted with in the U.S. was uptempo, save "Just Between You & Me." In Canada they've been successful with both their ballads and 'rock' songs, and as I said earlier, I've always felt their strength lay in their ballads.

Marvin

Matt I HAD Myles Goodwin's solo album. The reason I say HAD is because it was atrocious! I got rid of it pretty quickly. It was very hard to believe that Myles could put out such inferior music considering he wrote 99% of the stuff in AW and all the hits.

Marvin

Tony though I don't know much about current April Wine, their music in the 1970's and part of the 1980's was quite strong. They are still touring and releasing albums but nowhere as successful in Canada as they once were. Interestingly, they still have 3/4 of the original band.

Marvin

Sounds an awful lot like the situation with Golden Earring......playing once in a while, locally.

But actually did get to see them play in California....must have somewhere between 1978-82 but I don't recall the exact year. I think they opened for Sammy Hagar or somebody like that---I saw a LOT of shows in those days.

"Should Have Been a Lady" is a great rock and roll song.....but "....Skizoid Man" had some killer double-bass drumming---quite something both sonically and visually.....

Jerry Mercer the drummer of April Wine is a fine drummer indeed. "20th Century Schzoid Man" (originally done by King Crimson) was a tour de force for him and the rest of the band. It was definitely a centerpiece of their live performances.

AW is still peforming regularly in Canada and parts of the U.S. and still releasing albums.

Marvin

Hey Y'all....been away...Marvin...great thread!...

I remember going to see APril Wine with you when "Lover Boy" opened up...That was some concert! AW created some real gems, and they had a great "arena-rock" stage show. Three guitarists,...all who could play lead , a drummer who played with incredible precision and passion, and vocals oozing sex-appeal. The harmonies were true and real.

As for the Max Webster comment...I have a great story about Kim Mitchell and also a great story about Michel Pagliaro. I was playing a bar in Montreal one night, and as I was singing "Go For Soda", Kim Mitchell walked into the club...he was booked into the "Club Montreal" and was walking to the club when he heard our band playing. He listened to the tune and left.

Another time I was in Morin Heights, not far from "Le Studio", playing at the Commons Hotel. We were singing Michel Pagliaros french hit "J'Entends Frapper" and I notice a guy standing near the sound board laughing at me. I kinda got bugged about it, and at the end of the set, I asked the sound man what that was all about. I hadn't realized it was Pag himself, and he couldn'T believe that a band would still play a tune he had recorded thirty years previously. I didn't recognize him cause he had put on about 60 or 70 lbs.

Bahoo

• 2 weeks later...