Disco Ball

JuliaD

The soul female group Klymaxx had 5 Hot 100 songs & one that Bubbled Under The Hot 100 Charts. The songs "Meeting In The Ladies Room" peaked at # 59 (Hot 100) back in June of 1985, "I Miss You" peaked at # 5 back in January of 1986 & # 3 on the AC Charts, "The Men All Pause" peaked at # 105 back in Feburary of 1985 but charted again & peaked at # 80 (Hot 100)in March of 1986, "Man Size Love" peaked at # 15 (Hot 100) back in August of 1986 from the movie "Running Scared" starring Gregory Hines & Billy Crystal & finally "I'd Still Say Yes" peaked at # 18 (Hot 100) & # 8 (AC Charts) back in June or July of 1987. The group Wild Cherry had their only Top 40 hit with "Play That Funky Music" back in September of 1976. That song peaked at # 1 on the Hot 100 (for 3 weeks) & # 1 on the Soul R&B Charts. Their other songs were "Baby Don't You Know" peaking at # 43 (Hot 100) in Feburary of 1977, "Hot To Trot" peaking at # 95 (Hot 100) back in May of 1977, "Hold On" peaking at # 61 (Hot 100) back in September of 1977 & "I Love My Music" peaking at # 69 back in March of 1978. I am not sure what the lead singer of Wild Cherry is doing these days but watch VH1 "Where Are They Now?" & find out. The song "Play That Funky Music" can be heard as the theme song for "The Late, Late Show With Craig Kilborn" on CBS at 12:35. smile Matt

• 1 year later...

In my opinion, (Which, let's face it, is the only opinion that really counts) the only band who's songs still consistently hold up from that otherwise embarrassing disco era is KC And The Sunshine Band. The BeeGees songs would have held up if they weren't all sung chipmunk style. frown

KC is a clumsy fat excuse for "disco"--the best stuff is usually from its nascent days (73-76) with artists like First Choice, George McCrae and Carol Douglas-- and cool stuff like Bowie's "1984" Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" (her only great song) and Roxy Music's "Angel Eyes"

i just heard the Bee Gees' "nights on Broadway" recently and was extremeley surprised to hear how amazing the "bridge" is--it's almost a seperate song on it's own--and very much akin to their 68-72 pop phase--absolutely gorgeous-- and "Fanny Be Tender" is an amazing pop song as is the one they wrote for Yvonne Elliman, "If I Can't Have You"--their voices can get on the nerves, but their songs are very good--even The Talking Heads (Tina Weymouth) were fans

the bee gees got all wrapped up in the "disco" thing because of saturday night fever...

Not really, they were ahead of the "disco" curve with "Main Course" in 1975 and "Children Of The World" in 1976--these albums helped expand disco's demo to a wider audience with hits like "Nights On Broadway," "Fanny Be Tender," "Jive Talkin'" and "You Should Be Dancing." It wasn't until '78 that "Stayin' Alive" and the "SNF" LP was released... you're right, though--the songs would've been hits in any era... After "Saturday Night Fever" exploded, disco became an obnoxious redundant genre with nary a memorable moment... even the Bee Gees got worse...

If you sing some of those BeeGees disco songs in non-falsetto, they stand on their own and would be played more often on oldies stations. I think all but one of the songs on their 1979 Spirits Having Flown album were sung in falsetto. What were they thinking? Of course, they were going to be number 1 on the "Backlash Hit List" when they are singing all their songs that way. Duh.