IS 2009 THE YEAR OF THE INTELLECTUAL?

"All I had to do was see Huffington post...saved me the trouble of reading it." Hollies65

So you only read pieces that you agree with or listen to talk radio with the same opinions?

No Barb, I read The NY Time[Pretty much a liberal rag these days], The WSJ, The Plain Dealer, and watch all three cable news outlets. I just don't waste much time with Huffington's same old same old rhetoric. Heh...are you obsessed with listeners of talk radio? Sounds like sour grapes. I travel extensivly by car during the work week, and talk radio is a godsend. If you like reading the Huffington posts, more power to you...I find it less than stimulating.

You know what I'm obsessed with Hollies... trying to be a decent person, giving back to our community and caring about the OTHER guy... even when he gives me the finger as he passes me for not going 80 miles an hour in a 65 MPH zone.

As someone who produced talk radio for nearly 15 years, you can trust my insight when I say that talk radio was more than political rantings. At one time it entertained, offered an opportunity to have a real dialog with the host... whether you agreed or disagreed on a variety of topics. I think NPR is probably the only radio that has consistently produced thoughtful, entertaining, (and MEANINGFUL) programming over the past decade. (You will attach the same connotation to NPR as you did to the Huffington Post, no doubt).

The Huffington Post happened to pick up the article... it's absolutely not my favorite place to get news, but the article ( the notion of intellectualism playing a significant roll in the coming years) was of interest to me, and I thought it might be of interest to others here, as well.

And you don't think Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, & many of the commentators on Fox News use a wide brush to paint Democrats?

It's all the same tactics... and most of it is meaningless. None of the polarization adds to our lives in any positive way.

Laura has really glammed up--I always loved her and thought she was attractive but she really does look great now! She's one example of "not getting older, but getting better."

The problem with the Huffington Post is that most of what it spews is really hate-mongering.

Any two groups that have opposing views will have an inherent bias in what they put out, but my experience has been that Republicans are by far much more honest. When they go after someone, they do it openly and don't try to cloak it as "being the injured party" while trying to cut someone else's legs off underneath the table where nobody can see what they're doing."

smile --Darlene

Hey Darlene... I was going to give up on this thread... then I noticed your last post! IMHO, Huffington Post is the same as Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and other outspoken talk hosts and political leaders. Very few out there who care about bringing the country together... they just want to be right and have things their own way. I've said this many times before, and i really believe it... neither party is better than the other when it comes to dirty politics. There are some individuals who do a better job of working together in a non-partisan way and their records have proven that through their career (I'm thinking of Joe Lieberman for one, even though he really rattled Democrats this year.)

Darlene, this statement you made: "Republicans are by far much more honest" is really not true. I know Hollies will say "it's in the eyes of the beholder." We only need to look at the Nixon administration, or most recently Bush's administration to see that Republicans are NOT "more honest."

I believe we need to look past all the garbage that both parties dish out, and even be open enough to get past certain biased points of view. If we don't like an article from Huffington Post or comments from Sean Hannity, it's because we don't agree with them, and what they stand for. It doesn't mean they are RIGHT!

That's the nice thing about the USA, we can have different opinions, but don't all have to agree. It's when we can have a dialog about disagreeing without "spewing hate" (which both parties do on a regular basis) that makes our country stronger.

Yikes! Darlene, Republicans are "by far more honest?" I almost think you were being ironic there.... smile Not that Democrats are choir boys, but... come on! Republicans have been involved in every kind of illegal and unethical practice you can think of.

Barbara, I enjoy checking out Huffington Post. You won't find Hollies-65 lurking there, and you never will. But I understand that --- it's the same reason I'd never waste even a millisecond listening to the rants of Sean Hannity or any political commentator on FOX.

If I live to be a thousand, I will never understand why people continue to fall for the "us against them" mentality that has been responsible for just about every horrible thing that has happened since the beginning of recorded history.

The Saudis and the Carlyle Group and Haliburton and Bechtel are all laughing at us. They don't have any ideologies.They couldn't care less about religion, or political parties, or abortion or stem cell research.

They simply play BOTH sides in order to make as much money as they possibly can. That's why Prescott Bush, (W's grandfather) had his bank shut down for "trading with the enemy" in 1942. We were fighting the Nazis, and his bank was laundering Nazi money. It was just business. That's the way they think.

The rules don't apply to them.

Clinton has been busy lobbying for foreign governments since he left office. George H.W. Bush has had business dealings with the BinLadens for twenty years.

They pit us against each other by dividing us into liberals and conservatives, Republicans and Democrats, Christians and Jews and Muslims, communists and capitalists, MSNBC and FOX, black and white, Americans and Mexicans.

We're so busy fighting amongst ourselves over stupid things that we miss the big picture. That was the whole purpose of Sarah Palin, to distract us from the economy and the war in Iraq.

It's all about power and money. War is more lucrative than peace. Galvanize the right, galvanize the left.

We need to wake up, turn off our TV's and start thinking for ourselves. People need to get beyond the "sound bites."

They lie to us, and we believe them. Kennedy was shot by Lee Harvey Oswald. There was no conspiracy. Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. We HAD to remove Saddam. It's all a load of crap.

I use to have faith in the Government...but when my son was wounded in Iraq in 2003, and I saw how the Army and Government treated Him, and countless others, I lost all faith...I would put nothing past them, and I ALWAYS keep an open mind now...Eric hit the "nail on the head" with his post...I agree 100%

..Lies lies and more lies from both sides republicans and democrats....and my prediction...we will be at war with another middle east country soon...War turns around the economy...and lord knows the economy sucks right

now.

This is off topic, I know, sorry, but I just had to add my 2 cents

Shelley,

I didn't think your post was off-topic at all. As a matter of fact, it provided a more personal insight into everything that's going on. I think that's really important.

The media coverage of the Iraq War has been so carefully "managed" by the Bush administration that it's easy to lose sight of the huge personal tragedy that many families are suffering. They won't show us the blood and gore and death, because they know that's what happened during the Viet Nam war, and it contributed to the huge swell of anti-war sentiment that eventually became a full-blown movement by 1968.

As an honorably discharged veteran of our fighting forces, I too acknowledge that war = profit... who (in the business sense) cares if a few thousand die if it increases the profits of the major conglomerates... and adds millions to the bonuses of their execs and stockholders?

Who cares if the health and mental care of those wounded... those left behind... costs millions to the taxpayer? After all, those at the top of the food chain manage to find ways around taxes... or find themselves "bailed out" of any financial problem that comes their way... again, by us taxpayers... frown