Another cover of "No Matter What"

marvin

There are a few of us on this site who have proclaimed our never-ending debt to Badfinger's "No Matter What." It appears that there will be another version of the song out soon - this time by Def Lepperd. This is taken from the Billboard site and Phil Collen of the band is being quoted about a new covers album by the band:

Collen confirms that the album will include "A bunch of stuff -- all '70s stuff. Most of it is songs that we grew up with in England. 'No Matter What' by Badfinger is going to be the leadoff single. We've done 'Waterloo Sunset' by the Kinks, T. Rex, Mott The Hoople, Roxy Music and Thin Lizzy. And a lot of it is obscure; it's not the standard stuff. It's not like Stones or Beatles songs."

Here are tracks that have been recorded for the all-covers album:

"10538 Overture" (ELO)

"20th Century Boy" (T. Rex)

"Don't Believe a Word" (Thin Lizzy)

"Drive in Saturday" (David Bowie)

"Hanging on the Telephone" (Blondie)

"Hellraiser" (Sweet)

"He's Gonna Step on You Again" (John Kongos)

"No Matter What" (Badfinger)

"Little Bit of Love" (Free)

"Rock On" (David Essex)

"Stay With Me" (The Faces)

"Street Life" (Roxy Music)

"The Golden Age of Rock & Roll" (Mott The Hoople)

"Waterloo Sunset" (The Kinks)

"American Girl" (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers)

"Heartbeat" (Jobriath)

"How Does It Feel" (Slade)

"Kick Out the Jams" (MC5)

"Roxanne" (The Police)

"Dear Friends" (Queen)

"When I'm Dead and Gone" (McGuinness Flint)

"Winter Song" (Lindisfarne)

ENDQUOTE

Marvin

Wait -- I don't get this -- ALL these songs are being covered by Def Lepperd, or just a couple, and others will be doing the others? Any word of a release date?

PS -- Ever hear Alan Clarkes' rendition of "Baby Blue"? One of or maybe my favorite Badfinger covers.

A lot of these were major hits in the UK, but some barely were noticed in the US.

A footnote......Def Leppard was actually pleased with Mariah Carey's cover of "Blame it on the Heartache".....although a different style than what the band did, Collen and Elliott felt that Carey sincerly liked the song, and made a point in the interview that it was nothing like what Alien Ant Farm did with "Smooth Criminal" which was a put-down of Michael Jackson.

Despite how well Def Leppard did on these covers, it really would be nice to see some new originals from these guys.

Impressive list of covers -- for any band, let alone the dreaded def leppard (the one-armed drummer always fascinated me though -- very creative chap he!). The singer's voice reminds me of the sound a cat makes when in heat - can't imagine what he'll do to my beloved 'No Matter What.' Is that little guitar player still sporting shorts and suspenders, I wonder? Poor thing...

Here are tracks that have been recorded for the all-covers album:

"10538 Overture" (ELO)

"20th Century Boy" (T. Rex)

"Don't Believe a Word" (Thin Lizzy)

"Drive in Saturday" (David Bowie)

"Hanging on the Telephone" (Blondie)

"Hellraiser" (Sweet)

"He's Gonna Step on You Again" (John Kongos)

"No Matter What" (Badfinger)

"Little Bit of Love" (Free)

"Rock On" (David Essex)

"Stay With Me" (The Faces)

"Street Life" (Roxy Music)

"The Golden Age of Rock & Roll" (Mott The Hoople)

"Waterloo Sunset" (The Kinks)

"American Girl" (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers)

"Heartbeat" (Jobriath)

"How Does It Feel" (Slade)

"Kick Out the Jams" (MC5)

"Roxanne" (The Police)

"Dear Friends" (Queen)

"When I'm Dead and Gone" (McGuinness Flint)

"Winter Song" (Lindisfarne)

Marvin [/QB]

THE ONE THING DL HAS GOING FOR THEM IS AMAZING TASTE-- Too bad it didn't transfer... as much as they try to be cool their music will always sound much more akin to Journey or Bon Jovi than the any of these bands they're covering... This album looks like a very scary proposition-- especially the Roxy Music, Kinks & Slade choices...

the John Kongos tune was covered by The Happy Mondays back in the '90s w/ shortened title: "Step On."

If anyone else is into the folkier side of Badfinger, they'd be happy to track down, McGuinness Flint's "When I'm Dead & gone" which sounds like a Tom Evans outtake.... it's off their 1970 debut ("McGuinness Flint") which did come out in the states on Capitol....

• 5 weeks later...

Jeff, who is the Loud Family? Certainly would be interesting to hear a cover of a lesser-known Badfinger tune. (Anyone game for doing "Just a Chance" or "Where do we Go From Here?"?

Incidentally, "No Matter What" is starting to get airplay in Seattle. Granted, light rotation, but it is getting played.