hard to admit, but I actually like it

aggiesjc

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Love all kinds of stuff that is considered "Bubble-Gum". What really makes a lot of those acts great are the vocals and the sing-along melodies with great vocal and instrumental arrangements. Here'S my list:

1) Partridge Family

2) David Cassidy - This guy is SOOOO underrated, and probably has one of the sexiest voices (other than Bonnie Raitt and the guy from Journey)

3)Bay City Rollers - Awesome arrangements and great productions. Anything between 78 and 81 is absolutely electrifying. Pre-78 stuff is some of the best POP ever written. Guitarist Eric Faulkner could be Wally's twin.

4)The Gibbs, Andy included. Magic.

5)The Four Seasons - The Bay City Rollers of the 60's. Man can these guys sing.

6)The Carpenters : KC is amazing. RC never got the credit he deserves. Pure genius.

Bahoo

those of you who are using "speak to the sky" as a starting point for rick springfield are'nt getting the full picture. that's like using something from erics days with "the quick" to judge ec's body of work. for those of you with greatest hits...(theres several) check out "what kind of fool am i", "affair of the heart" both excellent pop songs. i really became a fan of his through my wife who would listen to his last cd.."karma"...by the way RS has a new cd out, just last week. (HINT HINT!) it's called "shock, denial, anger, acceptence". you can download his newest single from the RS website (no where near as good as this one!)it's called "will I". no i am not involved in any way. hhhhmmmmmmmmm a new cd.......... who'da thunk it!!!!!

How many remember "Mission Magic" an animated Saturday morning cartoon where a classroom of kids go on a magical journey to another land every week. Joining them on their adventure would be Rick Spingfield who would always sing a song at the end of the show. This was in the early 70's before most of his popularity in the U.S.

This is totally embaressing but never the less a really good song."You Take My Breath Away" artist Rex Smith written by steve Lawrence

also from the same era Why Not Me by Fred Knoblach

...Oh, I did like some of the "Partridge Family" songs. Pretty music and a great lead vocal. Though they did go too far when they tried to sing a lyric with the word "Albuquerque" in it.

Remember the classic, "Point Me In The Direction Of Albuquerque". The front rows had to wear raincoats when Cassidy tried to sing that tune live... frown

Hey, I liked disco! First, it encouraged men and women to dance within 3 car lengths of each other for a change. And it also lent itself to a fashion trend that was classy (at least for the time), especially for women. They wore dresses, and some pretty cool dresses at that. I've seen way worse periods musically (including the present), and definitely have seen some worse fashion felonies. I actually used to teach hustle classes (oh, my, that sounds bad, doesn't it?!).

One of my favorite disco songs was Georgio Moroder's version of Nights in White Satin, and I loved Donna Summer. I used to sing "Dim All The Lights" in a band I was in a lot, and now I wonder how I hit that long "uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuppppppppppppp" crazy

If I tried that now, I'd probably sound like... well, Celine eek

Craig air supply cornered the market for a while there in the 80's with some great pop songs.all out of love is a great melody.Lost in love the same. the guy with the high voice was a perfect compliment to the other guy.I wish I'd written any one of those tunes.

I know a few people mentioned on other boards here that they like the Monkees- I think that's my guilty pleasure. I even enjoy watching the show, it's so 60s. I see now they are out on DVD's. happy I even saw them when the 3 guys were out on their first reunion tour in the 80s. laugh

I LOVE The Monkees! They were the first music I was introduced to in the 60's, and probably why I like so many different styles of music. I saw the reunion tour in Chicago in '86, and just saw them again in 2000. They fired Peter the day before I saw them ! Funny enough, I watched The TV show in the 60's but never really was a big fan of it. To me it was about the music.Nesmith put out some great stuff in the 70's, and I also saw him at the Cubby Bear lounge in Chicago in '91

DJs have to like disco music. It's in the International DJ Rulebook.

DJs HAVE TO LIKE MUSIC--THAT'S THE RULEBOOK. DISCO, LIKE ALL GENRES HAS IT BAD AND GOOD SONGS. Bad Disco: Donna Summer's "Bad Girls" Good Disco: Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" (influenced by Kraftwerk, approved by Bowie)...sadly, its monotonous beat makes it more insufferable than most genres...

With guilty pleasures and Bubblegum, there's stuff that either strikes a positive chord because it resonates with your childhood. Still, some stuff is awful. Bad disposable AM pop: Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods' "Billy Don't Be A Hero" Good disposable AM pop: Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods' "Who Do You Think You Are"

Stuff I own that 'no one else should know about': too many Cowsills albums, Jethro Tull ("Cheap Day Return"), Tommy Roe, Orpheus, Edward Bear, Octavian, Sandler & Young, Carpenters, lotsa Hudson Bros, Cuff Links, Classix Nouveau, Johnny Rivers, Keith, etc.