hard to admit, but I actually like it

aggiesjc

Does anyone else here have some songs or albums that they would rather not admit, in most social groups, that they like? Maybe a song that you feel you shouldn't like because it's really pretty bad in a lot of ways, but you've found it appealing in some way? Or a CD that was painful to buy because someone had to ring up the sale and saw what you were buying? I've bought some CDs that I would probably hide if I had guests over.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got almost every Neil Sedaka album and CD. How embarrassing is that?? I've always had a "thing" about Neil....... haha

---Julie

P.S. The most embarrassment I ever suffered in purchasing an album was Eric's "Tonight You're Mine". I bought several other albums and sandwiched it in between. Still, the clerk held it up and made comments about that girl on the front. shocked

There are a lot of album covers that are worse than Tonight You're Mine. Some are so bad that I would choose not to own them, even if I liked the music! I really like The Partridge Family, too (very fond memories of my youth with those songs) and have nothing against Neil Sedaka. I'll respond to my own question though, and also confess that I own a Backstreet Boys album. I know they're a manufactured "boy band" made up of a bunch of dancers (who termed boy bands "bands" at all? They aren't bands, they're dancers!), HOWEVER I really like some of the songs, and as long as I don't have to watch these guys sing them, I can enjoy the sound! Okay, everyone, rain bloody hell on me, but as you do, consider what's in your own CD rack!

Jennifer

ya know, I sat here thinking on this, and I honestly don't. I'm sure I own some albums, cd's, etc that not everyone here (maybe not even ANYone here) would like, but I'm not embarrassed by that. Music is a very individual and personal thing, and if I own it, I thought enough of it to spend money on it. My music collection is a big part of myself, and it doesn't make me feel weird, uneasy, or whatever in any way. If others don't have the same tastes as I do, that's ok!

Oh yeah.....I know all about the Captain and Tenille too. Have all of their albums--even one in Spanish. At the end of "Love Will Keep Us Together" Toni sings, "Sedaka is Back".

I have all of Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods too!

And ya, I realize there are more embarrassing album covers out there than "Tonight You're Mine", but, hey, look at my profile, I'm just a wholesome Iowa farm girl. That's the raciest cover I own!

---Julie

Actually, in the first days of the Raspberries I was a little apologetic when recommending the 'berries to some of my hard-rockin' friends. They were'nt used to music with melodies and harmonies with lyrics that you could understand and meant something. I never worried what they would think about "Starting Over", though smile Kirk.

Don't everybody laugh--"The Lettermen!" I remember being 18 and listening to those romantic, falling-in-love tunes like "Where or When" and "Summer Song," conjuring up a picture of the "mysterious-someone" I hadn't ever met yet.

He was absolutely perfect in my mind in every way, had blond hair, blue eyes and was going to sweep me off my feet! I haven't listened to those songs for decades--I'd then be reminded he never showed up!

smile --Darlene

Okay, okay, so maybe he showed up a couple of times, but things didn't turn out as I had planned. But then Herman came along...(come to think of it, he looked pretty much like the guy I had imagined.) Then real life happened. As Mick Jagger says "You can't always get what you want...but if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need."

smile --D

I saw Rick on one of the A&E type shows a few years ago and was really impressed how much he had grown as an artist from the "Jesse's Girl" days. First song I ever heard by Rick? "Speak to the Sky" on the K-Tel album, "Believe in Music" -the same record that introduced me to "Go All the Way" and the 'berries.

Marvin

Rick Springfield had a song on Believe in Music? My sister had that record, but I never realized Springfield was on it.

I really got interested in The Hollies in the early '80s, but would NEVER have admitted it to my friends in high school at the time. Everybody around me was listening to Styx and Journey, and I was delving back into the '60s and '70s! I haven't listened to them much lately, because all I have are bunch of old records, and no way to play them any more. I've heard, though, that they just put out some big CD compilation, so maybe I'll have to invest in that. (I also understand, in a very limited way, that there was some bad blood between The Hollies and The 'Berries, so I'm still slightly reluctant to say I like them!)

Jennifer

The bad blood between the Hollies and the 'berries basically was with the Swedish singer who took over the lead singer role after Alan Clarke went on hiatus.

In my opinion, the Hollies' 1970's output is among their best - especially the albums

"Another Night", "Russian Roulette" and "A Crazy Steal." I've always thought that had "RR" had gotten the promotion it deserved, it would have been a huge hit. It's easily one of my favourite records of all time.

Marvin

Nothing wrong with Neil Sedaka! I remember pulling up to my apt a few years ago and I was playing a Neil Cd in the car, well, this biker dude that lived next door to me was sitting outside and when I got out of the car, he said " I heard you listening to Neil Sedaka" and I thought "oh oh here we go...." instaed he said "Neil's cool , man. I like his stuff!" so you never know what someones gonna think about what your listening to.