What is the weirdest dance you know?

Carmen Smalley

Mine is a French dance called Tchou Tchou Ki.You must jump with your arms lifted and aith your index fingers in direction to the sky.Then you have to move your head from left to right and your arms in the same direction at the same time.Is absolutely hard to dance,but very funny.The melody is like an Italian tarantella meets a Far West saloon tune meets The Scaffold¥s Lily The Pink.I Imagine Eric playing it on piano and I die laughing.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one goes back to my days in Junior High! It was a dance called "The Dying Cockroach". It really wasn't much of a dance, but we thought it was fun. (you couldn't do it in a dress though!)

Basically, you started out "spraying" each other by making motions like you had a can of bug spray. Then, you started "spazzing out"--arms flailing, coughing, etc crazy .....(I told you, this is a Junior High thing). Then, after a fashion you sort of collapsed to the floor and writhed around some more. By the end of the song (and it could be any song) you were on your back with all of your limbs up in the air twitching. haha

Very funny again, Kirk! I would LOVE to see The Dying Cockroach, but not done by my students. They can get rowdy enough.

The most harrowing dance I ever saw was my first year of teaching strings. My "baby beginners" were playing our great first time hit tune, Hot Cross Buns, which has all of three notes in it, but two of the girls said they worked out a dance to it, and asked if they could dance it in the concert. I didn't have time to have them rehearse it, but they begged and promised it would be absolutely all together in sync and was great. I trusted them and relented. The night of the concert, the children were to dress in black and white. These two little girls come in short short skirts like skating skirts. When I asked them about it they said "We twirl around in our dance and it looks good in these skirts." So I said OK.

The kids played the song while the girls danced, then the girls were to come back, pick up their violins and join in playing on the repeat. Unfortunately, their dance step on the word "Buns" was to indeed twirl around and show their butts to the audience a la the Can Can (which we weren't playing that night). As I looked on in horror after they did it once, I sent a loud message up "Girls, cut the dance, NOW"

but they kept on. I had no alternative but to keep going. All I could see in the front row was my male principal with a clenched fist. EEK!

When my principal assailed me I just told him I hadn't seen the dance and didn't know what they were going to do. A few tears, and he dropped the idea of firing me. Ironically, their mothers thought they were just adorable. They were 9 then.

They're all now 45 years old, and past the short skirt stage--nah...not THEM.

smile --Darlene

There is one weird dance I know. It's a Polish Dance, called the Bumpsy Daisy. I played in a Polka Band so I learned all the so-called Figure Dances. This one is really weird. I think it's supposed to be danced by a man and a woman. They turn around, then face each other and wag their index finger at each other, then bump their fannies together. The first time I ever danced it, was with my girlfriend, and she and I started laughing so hard we couldn't stop, and fell on the floor and wet our pants. People at the dance thought we fell and hurt ourselves, so they kept trying to help us up (most of them spoke only Polish, not much English), and we were VERY embarrassed, and wouldn't get up because there was a puddle on the floor. We somehow managed to get up after wiping the floor with our slacks so no one would know what happened. In order to do that, we had to sort of slide around on the floor (we probably looked like we were "writhing" and doing The Dying Cockroach!) We made a beeline for the bathroom, and had to take our clothes off and wash and dry them under the hot air hand-dryer in the bathroom. (We spent most of the four hour dance in there, drying). This was in the '70s--thank goodness for polyester in those days--it dried pretty fast. Miraculously, the two guys we were dating in the band never knew what happened.

(I hope they don't read this).

smile --Darlene

Carmen, you really don't know much about American culture do you? Darlene is a WOMAN'S name, but any woman here who has a friend calls her friend a "girlfriend," which means a friend who happens to be a girl, NOT a girlfriend like a MAN has a girlfriend. My name is derived from an old English name, "Darelene," which means "little dear one." It was also the name of an American ice cream in the 1940's, which my mother named me after (Darlene Ice Cream). I was then always called "the ice cream baby."

Anyway, if you watch Oprah Winfrey, her favorite term (she is black) for any woman she is giving advice to is "girlfriend." And she is NOT gay.

For instance, when someone had a makeover, she said "You look fabulous, GIRLFRIEND," and it was a sort of general term, not a gay one.

You are so hung up on gays. Are YOU gay? It sounds like you are. Remember, it's okay to be gay, but the whole WORLD isn't gay!

smile --Darlene

• 1 year later...

The weirdest dance? Anything done at concerts by the late West Virginia one-man band, Hasil Adkins. About half of the Haze's repertoire consisted of songs about various dances he had invented - the Hunch, the Chicken Walk, the Slop, the Chicken Flop, Chicken Shake, etc. - each one of which was more bizarre than the last.

Hell, he had at least 7-8 chicken dances - check out his "concept album" on Norton from several years ago, "Poultry In Motion" - 12-13 songs with "chicken" in the title....truly a great rock & roller....

You actually trust ME to "set you up"?????? You are braver than I thought! But you don't have to wait for a CA. trip, I'm in Wisconsin right now so "Come on Over".

You've got the order right. You have to get me ripped to sing karaoke. People also have to promise to keep their dogs in and locked up, all that barking and howling can be very distracting, especially during my rendition of "Memories". Stop that snickering.