Jet

marvin

So what's the deal on this band Jet? When I heard their first single "Are You Gonna Be My Girl", I thought "hmm...interesting, almost Black Crowe-ish in its sound. Yeah, I could live with this" Now I hear their new song, "Look What You've Done" and I'm thinking, "This is Oasis meets Badfinger meets the Beatles" Am I wrong? What are your thoughts? What's the rest of the disc like?

Marvin

Jet are a good band... but one w/ no identity...

Their CD sounds like a various artists disc... i prefer "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" because the singer hits a great fever pitch & the songs got balls in a good "Lust For Life" kinda way... still, many dislike it because it's pre-conceived (like everything on the record) as is "Look What You've Done" which may or may not sound like Badfinger (or Oasis) because it sounds like John Lennon... (who knows what people are influenced by this far down the line-- it's easier to point to the original source: John Lennon... but others think it's cool to say Badfinger because it's not as obvious)

other tracks on the record rip off BTO & The Hives.... albeit in a very competent fashion... and the production is really good..

yes.... Pete Ham is one of the few to expand on the cue of Lennon/McCartney/Harrison & create music all his own... and really have soul... and transcend the Beatles shadow... A very hard thing to pull off without sounding like a retread... all of Jet's stuff smacks of that... a bit too preconceived to feel as if it's coming straight from the heart.... still, for anyone who loves well-executed ersatz-Beatles music, it's a good song

Marvin -

My wife & I LOVE Jet! Amazing range of material from Black Crows - style to more Pop stuff. Major Beatles/Badfinger sound, although I always think "Look..." sounds more like McCartney than Lennon. We never noticed any "retread" or "rip off" problems, but everybody has their own radar on that kind of thing, eh? I'll be interested to see what they do next - that LP has been out for quite a while, so they should be due for another soon I'd think. I'll buy it.

I could be wrong, but I think that if you base Jet's music on "Look What You've Done", you might end up getting misled. Sort of like basing the 'berries on "Ecstacy" and then being floored that the same band (or the same songwriter!) could do a song like "I Can Remember" or "Let's Pretend."

Marvin

Good one Tommy. I can hear flourishes of the Brothers in the song as well. I know that Jet are from Melbourne, but does anyone know their background, influences etc? It takes a lot for me to spend money on a 'new' group, but I'm getting mighty curious about Jet.

Marvin