Men in grocery stores: dazed and confused?

LC

This story reports that men can be overwhelmed in grocery stores:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070527/us_nm/shopping_men_dc

It makes the point that men are doing a lot more grocery shopping now than in the "good old days," and we're just not as good at it as women are.... We can't find what we're looking for frown , won't ask for help arrgh , don't know how to find deals confused .... Geez, talk about stereotyping!

Actually, as someone who does more of it than I ever thought I would (usually with my two daughters in tow), I admit that this is a good point, per the story: "Unlike women, men tend to hone in on the specific thing they want instead of surveying the entire aisle."

Guilty as charged. Go in, get what you need, and get the heck outta there! :-)

I'll put my .02 worth in on this topic.

I do 95% of the grocery shopping in my house. I don't use coupons but I do try to buy the cheapest item I can - the offbrands, housebrands, etc. because the way I see it, even with the coupon for the brand name, the offbrand is still alot less and for the most part it tastes the same. I can buy quite a bit for a lot less money at Aldi's - where else can you get mac & cheese for 29 cents a box and my kids can't tell the difference between it and Kraft. If it goes to waste I don't worry too much.

I prefer to go alone but I usually have my girls in tow with me and they are a help most of the time - occasionally its slow going but it's a great way to teach my oldest about price comparison and how to get the most for your money.

My husband however shops like LC - get what you need and get out! I do that occasionally when there is only one thing I need - particulary at department stores or Wal-Mart.

HT

Kiwi and I usually do our grocery shopping together. Her only complaint is that things keep appearing in the trolley that SHE didn't put there. laugh She reckons the bill would be 50% less if she left me at home.. :rolleyes:

I can't see anything wrong with me putting Garlic Mussells, Blue cheese stuffed Olives, Boysenberries, Chocolate, and other delightful morsels for US to indulge in wink

Muzza cool

I'm usually stuck behind a throng of senior citizens scoffing down the various free goodies in the aisles of Publix. They travel in packs in Florida.

I do ALL the grocery shopping since I do ALL the cooking. But I'm not complaining....my wife knows enough NOT to send me anywhere near the "feminine products" aisle. :whew: spin

I usually go with my wife. On the rare occasion when I have to go alone, (like whem she's sick) I'm OK until she requests something I cant find. And women's products? Forget it! Then I'm standing in that aisle like a lost wayward traveller! I know where the beer is though! LOL

Jeff

I do the Jewish version of hunting for game.

This sport involves no rifles and no traps!

You simply go on a Sunday or Monday night and look for "Markdown" meats that must be cooked or frozen that day or the next.And if Shop-Rite is blaring "Well Respected Man" as you move in for the kill-victory is twice as sweet.

Once you have cornered your prey,which is usually cowering in a corner at 25 or 50% off the original price, you carefully put it in your cart and return home flush with triumph from a successful hunt.

Your wife and children greet you with a true hero's welcome and you then cook or freeze your catch-all the while basking in the adoration of your family who share your glee for the thrill of the hunt.

THIS is as good as it gets for THIS "Weekend Warrior"!

My husband goes shopping and he comes back with the same things all the time. Goes in, hunts for what he wants, and buys it. I'm a browser, look around at what's new, read labels, try something different. I'm a gatherer. That's our difference. laugh

My wife does most of the shopping... I ussually wait in the car and listen to the ball game or watch the ball game at home and when she pulls in the garage I am on bag carring in the house duty. On the rare occasion that I go... I ask her to make a detailed list. makes my life and hers much easier.... smile

I don't like to grocery shop either, although I used to do the coupon thing. Herman is so much more efficient at it than I am, and he is a whiz with coupons. He can save $20-$30 in the blink of an eye.

Kathy is great in ANY store! If you think she's good in the supermarket, you should see her in SteinMart!!!! haha

smile --Darlene

Hey, we're just off to do the shopping now at the Supermarket. The challenge is to either resist temptation and not put "extras" in the trolley or see how many I can put in and get away with!! laughinsane:rolleyes:wink

I'll let ya know which way I go... happy

Muzza cool

My hubby goes into a store, gets only the things he needs...and gets the heck outta there. Me, I say, "Ok, I have x amounts of dollars....lemme see how much I can get for that x amount"...kinda like a game.....and I could be there for HOURS!! laugh

Kiwi and Muzza, here we call the grocery carts bascarts, buggies or just carts (I call 'em buggies)....never heard them called trolleys....very cool!!

Ronda

Well there ya go. In my last job I would have people who left the course to take up a job at the local supermarket as Trolley Wranglers. How's that for a job title.. laughinsane They would collect the trolleys from around the car park etc and bring them back into the racks for the customers. happy

Muzza cool