Getting inside an insane mind

danmichel

We'll never know what was really on the Virginia Tech killer's mind...This is just my impression of what could have been going on head that made him go so wrong.

"I've Got a Gun"

you run too fast

i finished last

i guess i'll play

the role you cast

you've had your fun

it's time to run

i've got a gun

i've got a gun

the world has changed

now i feel strange

please make it stop

just go away

you've had your fun

this game is done

i've got a gun

i've got a gun

you're gonna pay for all those empty moments

when i couldn't find the words to say

so i never found a way to tell you

'till today

'till today

i tried my best

to pass your test

the test was rigged

i had to guess

you've had your fun

it's time to run

i've got a gun

i've got a gun

tonight you'll see

how you hurt me

i'm everywhere

i'm on TV

you've had your fun

it's time to run

i've got a gun

i've got a gun

I would agree. If things are going on in your home, like Columbine, and you the parent don't notice, I think they share in the responsibility. I cannot believe that some parents are so self or otherwise involved that they cannot see signs of problems. Can it be that some children just scare the living hell out of their parents?

I wonder too if some parents didn't/couldn't express their love for their children in healthy ways when they were younger and by the time they realised how and tried it was too late and their kids rejected their attempts.

Yes, I do believe that parents have to take some of the blame but hey... it doesn't exonerate anyone of this guys age from being responsible for his behaviour and actions. He made choices knowing what the consequences are. The problem... he fooled others into letting him get away with not taking responsibility. Let me give you an example.

A friend of mine who was a Prison Chaplain was talking to a prisoner jailed for rape tells how the prisoner kept claiming, "I couldn't help myself. I couldn't help myself.".

"Bullsh*t" said my friend. "You did it because you wanted to. You knew it was wrong, yet you carried on because it was what YOU had decided to do". Later on during his time in jail, the prisoner finally admitted, "Yes, I did it because I wanted to. I can't blame anyone or anything else any longer.".

Taking responsibility for his own decisions turned this guys life around. I have spent time with too many counsellors who WONT lead the person to taking responsibility and spend far too much time looking for other people and events to blame. I'm sorry if I offend any counsellors here, but people need the truth and THE SUPPORT to deal with it, NOT reasons to avoid and escape reality

Muzza

I've seen this over and over again in trying to get help for my boys over the years. First, as stated before, they don't meet the suicidal/homicidal criteria for crisis intervention. Then, when dealing with the mental health staff, I constantly hear, "Well, he really can't help his disabilities, you know." Bull!!! He can function higher and we've all SEEN him function higher so why do you give him excuses and let him off the hook? Then I'm told I'm too demanding and refuse to accept limitations. (Keep in mind these are the same professionals who ask me how I get the results I get which are much higher than their expectations.) I don't accept excuses and I demand personal accountability! BUT, if a parent can't get help then what do they do with a kid who is obviously falling apart? That's not to say there aren't plenty of parents who are dropping the ball and doing nothing because it's too much work. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate and saying that things may not always be as they appear. Parents are only two people --- where are the rest of the staff (that we don't have) who are supposed to be working with these kids/adults?

One thing we Europeans have difficulty understanding is the US gun laws beacuse they are so different from ours. I watched a debate on TV last night with two Americans putting forward the case for and against. The right to bear arms is enshrined in the constitution and the guy putting forward the case for argued that everyone has the right to defend himself.

But doesn't that mean proliferation of firearm ownership amongst the general public? It works on the premise that as long as there are more armed but sane people than armed loonies, everything will be ok and good will win out.

But doesn't that make another Columbine/VT inevitable? After all, how many sane people want to go around shooting people?

In the UK we have tightened up our gun laws since Hungerford etc. While that doesn't guarantee something like it could never happen again, it must surely make it less likely?

Every time something like this happens in the US there are calls for further restrictions but not much seems to happen. I'd be interested in Board members' views on this - could the constitution be changed to ban gun ownership? Is there a consensus for it and what would be the likely fallout if the government tried to intoduce it.

Gary

It will never happen Angloberry.

Hunting = Gun ownership

I am not a hunter myself, but there are millions who are, and the Government will never make hunting against the law. People will always be allowed to own guns. It's the same as drugs for a drug addict or alcohol for a minor - If someone really wants something, they will find it. No amount of laws can stop it. Now that I have seen the VT killers chilling video, I don't think that any kind of gun law would have stopped him.

Now - To go off on a bit of a tangent - I am all for capitol punishment. I am actually glad that this idiot took his own life, because with the current sad laws we have, it would have been determined that he was not mentally stable enough to sentence him to death.

Tim

As soon as that 2005 document was printed saying that this sicko was a "danger to himself and others", the document should have been flagged on all background checks for gun purchases. He didn't finish any counseling program or keep in touch to get his name taken off the "mentally ill" list. So, he shouldn't have been able to buy those guns without proving that he was mentally OK now...which he wasn't.

Does Virginia even do background checks for gun purchases?

The lawyer sharks are now going to bankrupt the Commonwealth of Virginia...

Okay Tony, here's how it works : a lawyer sees a pecuniary opportunity when the school tries to take precautionary actions against someone like this. The school knows this and takes no action. A lawyer sees a pecuniary opportunity now that is through the roof. The real problem? The laws that are in place that allow these pecuniary opportunities. Lawyers, academics and the like have been working on this structure for 40 years with little media coverage or interest. What you will see now is the lawyers working with the perp's family to shift blame to the deep pockets-the Commenwealth etc. Media will play ball. The best editorial on this matter generally can be found here: http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/

Not too much time, too much opportunity generated by regulation, state and federal statutes and courts that legislate. Fewer opportunities would result in fewer lawyers. These opportunities have created an ever expanding legal market. These market forces determine not only how many lawyers there are but what we can charge. Also, just the fear of the time, expense and hassle of litigation molds our conduct in so many ways. What happened in Blacksburg is a prime example of this.

Gary, Like you, we struggle with some of this due to our strick gun laws. And as you say, it still doesn't guarantee someone wont shoot someone but it certainly keeps it down.

And Tim, we have Hunting here but the Gun laws limit what weapons people can use and hand guns are certainly a no no.

I have referred to this in my post in What happened in Virginia.

Muzza