Gitmo is such a horrible place.....

hollies65

Just one comment here - I've seen two estimates from the Pentagon, regarding released Gitmo prisoners returning to their old ways - both in the 10-12% range. Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the recidivism rate for released prisoners who were convicted of violent felonies in the US over the past 10 years or so has been about 60-70% - returning to their old ways within 3-5 years.

What exactly did we do right to get such a low rate amongst the terrorists as far as repeat offenders? Or is it too early to tell yet? (Or were perhaps quite a few of them not really terrorists in the first place??) Just wondering....

Maybe it's because people on Riker's Island (NY Prison) are treated WORSE than those in Gitmo. :P

Also released felons enter something called ....probation/parole/supervised release. Released terrorists aren't exactly checking in each week with their P.O.'s for urine tests and counseling.

John

How convenient! The day after Obama signs a few pieces of paper changing things, you get this news?

All I know is…if Bush Administration had not disgracefully violated the Geneva Convention and allowed the abuse of prisoners to be carried on, elected president Obama wouldn’t now have to face such a drastic decision like this.

Guantanamo Bay, one of the few concentration camps publicly recognized by a democratic government, being completely “outside†of the Judicial System, having enabled the use of torture and human rights violations against detainees.

And it is known that “Torture doesn't stop terror. Torture is terror.†So, it seems to be (a drastic), but also an Intelligent Obama’s first step ordering to end torture and close Gitmo.

While it shouldn't be confused with Abu Ghraib (for one thing, no polaroid pictures were taken!), let alone a concentration camp, there were allegedly beatings, sleep deprivation, solitary confinements, and the occasional defacing of prisoners' copies of the Koran....and supposedly hundreds of suicide attempts, at least 4-5 of which were successful.

Kinda like a typical US jail (except for the abuse of the Koran)....

Who cares if they attemp suicide...I don't. I can find ONE instance of the terrible defacing of a Koran. Beatings...One guard alledged a beating...in 2006...nothing came of it. Otherwise...nothing. Sleep deprivation is a standard interrogation. Looks to be kinda BETTER than the average State prison to me. Yeah, a real concetration camp. What a laugh!These are the same radical Islamists that will behead or stone to death a woman for not covering up. I would suggest that your outrage be directed at the countries that do that...Or are the people of Argentina more upset about Gitmo than women in the middle East be treated worse than animals?

http://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/melanie_morgan_gitmo/2008/12/31/166911.html

"Who cares if they attemp suicide...I don't."

OK...I guess there's no point in even attempting a comeback to that last post. Kinda like debating whether the Holocaust occurred or not, only to get a "and if it did, I don't care anyway!" response...

(Assume the hundreds and hundreds of links found if you google on "guantanamo detention center, beatings" or "guantanamo detention center, Koran" are all false......)

My point is...they're trying to commit suicide...That's their problem...what does that have to do with conditions at the prison???? NOTHING.

As far as the hundreds of links on beatings...JohnO...show me where these massive and or widespread...no no no... JUST ONE of these beatings are fact and or legitimate. I'll be waiting. [surely out of those hundreds of links there is ONE with the rock solid proof]

Were the prisoners at Gitmo actually convicted of anything, or were they just "suspected" of being terrorists? The reason I ask is because, just like the rest of you and all Americans, I was all for the Patriot Acts I and II, after the mainstream media and the White House convinced me that there were "terrorist cells" all over the country, just waiting to attack innocent civilians, and that the "next attack" might well be a "dirty bomb" or anthrax or Ebola or some other nightmare.

As the father of two small children, I was horrified and frightened by the reports and more than willing to give up a few of my civil rights inorder to help the government protect my family from "evil doers."

That is, until I realized that the whole "War On Terror" was a sham, and all the reports about anthrax and "terror cells" were concocted for the express purpose of convincing the American people that we really should welcome the new police state with open arms.

As far as I can tell, there have been damn few prosecutions, and confessions obtained after torture are about what you'd expect. Waterboard a guy for 20 minutes, and he'll tell you anything you want to hear. Lock an innocent man up for years in a hot, filthy , stinking environment, and it's no wonder they try to kill themselves.

The Geneva convention is what separates the civilized world from the "animals." When we adopt their tactics, we become them, and they have won.

I'm not suggesting that we should be soft on terrorists. But I do think you'd better be pretty sure someone is a terrorist before you lock them up for years.If you lock up an innocent man for a few years, and beat him occasionally, you might just create a terrorist.

Paragraph #1;Captured on the battle field.Paragraph #4: We waterboarded 3 people. Gitmo is air conditioned.

#6 I've checked dozens of articles on these alledged beatings. Alledged is the key word there. Six religious conforming meals a day...Air conditioning...2 hrs exercise...prayer rugs...does not sound very brutal to me.

The FBI reported the abuse. They came back from Gitmo and complained to Robert Mueller that soldiers at Gitmo were telling "detainees" they were FBI agents when they interrogated them. The REAL FBI agents were upset that the soldiers were undermining relationships that had been cultivated with some of the prisoners in order to get information, and were concerned that the prisoners would tell people that the FBI had tortured them if they were ever released.

The reason the detainees were sent to Gitmo in the first place was to place them outside the jurisdiction of American courts, and out of the public eye. The most important prisoners were sent to secret "black ops" prisons in foreign countries where torture is not outlawed. That way, they could be tortured by someone else, and we could maintain that we don't torture.