best live cd's

Gregkevinw

we have been discussing bruce springsteen and his incredible concerts and it got me thinking as to what live cd's "capture" the artists "live energy" the best. one out of the way live cd that i enjoy is warren zevons...."learning to flinch" a very minimal sounding live cd, but he does some very clever things on it.

Michael Stanley's Stagepass is a classic, whether I'm from Cleveland or not. I missed reading the Springsteen discussion, but the unreleased but widely circulated 1978 Cleveland Agora show is at the top of my list. Guy Clark, a phenominal Texas singer-songwriter has a live album entitled Keepers which is a masterpiece. Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes have long been one of my favorite live acts, but they have not been fully captured in their best on an official release.

I don't care for live CDs either. Although Springsteen's "Born to Run" and most of his old stuff always sounds better live than his studio mixes up till the "Born In The USA" CD, which is a great mix. Did he change studio engineers around that time?

The Bee Gees "Here At Last, Live" CD included live arrangements that were better than the studio cuts on songs like "Edge of the Universe", "Winds of Change", "Gotta Get A Message To You", "Words", and "Love So Right". That is a must live CD for all BeeGees fans.

I've always enjoyed the Bee Gee's Here At Last album. I liked the song Edge of the Universe better on the live album than on the studio version, I think it was on the Main Course albums (which is my favorite BeeGees album). Another live album I've always been partial to is Frampton Comes Alive! partially because it was huge when I graduated from high school and there are very pleasant memories associated with it (I won't tell you what they are but you can probably guess without too much difficulty.) laugh

It's not a cd, not an album, but a sound board tape that takes the cake for me. Eric Carmen live from the Roxy. Sounded better in person than on tape, but still great! Only quibble would be the vocals. Eric seemed a little flat at times, and the harmonies from Magic were not on key some of the time, so maybe the monitors were not loud enough, but the dynamics of the music in that small venue with the two drummers hammering away was spectacular. When they closed with "Go All The Way", my girlfriend and I had tears of joy running down our faces. As Darlene has reiterated about the Raspberries, you had to be there! Kirk.

kirk , it must've been amazing to see that show.

do you have a setlist from that night? i have been able to find songs from that evening but am not sure how many songs i am looking for. you're right about one thing, ec's voice does sound a little strained..but it still sonds incredible!

For me, it's gotta be KISS Alive and Alive II. They broke the doors wide open for everyone who ever attempted to capture a live concert in all it's bombast and glory. I'd also have to put in Neil Diamond's Hot August Night that preceded it. Great stuff. Our new CD by Boxer (Jim Bonfanti on drums), is now available at www.boxerrocks.com. We will be performing at the Scene Pavilion on June 19th in Cleveland, OH. My Eagles tribute band, Tequila Sunrise, will be closing the show. Hope you all can make it out! It's a festival of wings which is shaping up to be an awesome event. Maybe we'll open with 'Jet'. haaha.. Seeya later!

Paul

Hi, Paul

I agree with you about ND's Hot August Night from 1972! I LOVE that album! Many songs sounded better than they did on the radio. Plus, the cool fringed-leather "cowboys and Indians" stage outfits were on target - far better than the shimmery shirts that came later. I remember visiting my brother at UC Berkeley in the mid-'70s and hearing that album blasting from the windows of a fraternity! What a concept - ND played in a fraternity, and it held up as real rock at that time! Then, severe schmaltz set in by the later '70s ...