The NFL '08 Thread

LC

Ahhh, time to get off all that political mumbo jumbo and talk football!

1] For me, the ideal Super Bowl this season would be Green Bay and the Jets, with Mr. Favre beating his old mates for the ultimate revenge. Realistically, Dallas seems to be the hot pick in the NFC. That D is loaded. The Giants will be around, too. And the Pats, Jags, Chargers, and Colts have been the hot picks in the AFC, but with Tom Brady out for the season, things get interesting.... And the Jags didn't look so good today. Maybe the Jets aren't such a long shot. Ultimately, I'm thinking we'll see a Cowboys/Giants NFC final and Chargers/Colts --- and then maybe a "Manning Bowl." But I hope I'm wrong....

2] I loved those two Favre bombs today --- one classic, and one gunslinger Hail Mary.

3] Speaking of the Chargers, don't worry about today's 4th-quarter collapse, Tony C. Or... maybe you should? A last-second loss to Carolina, at home? Then again, SD always seems to start slow and then come on strong.

4] Who's better, LT or Michael Turner? Wow, Turner was amazing today. I'm glad I found a spot for him on my Raspberries Football League squad.

5] I wonder who Sarah Palin roots for? Maybe the Seahawks?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a Jet fan I'm wondering..............does Favre ALWAYS throw off his back foot? If so please pass the pepto-bismal.

John

Only when he needs to! That throw to Cotchery was textbook, but yes, the heave-ho touchdown on the 4th-and-long play was the type that would stop the heart of the Packers' coach. Only Favre can get away with those... and sometimes he can't! That's why a running game is huge; if Thomas Jones and Leon Washington have big years, it makes Favre all that much more dangerous. It's when he tries to do too much that he gets into a little trouble.... Overall, I'd give him high grades for his first Jets outing -- 15 out of 22, around 200 yards, 2 TDs, no INTs. And the Jets do seem a little more "interested" than they did at the end of last season, don't they? I like the receivers a lot --- they're right on par with Jennings, Driver, et al., if not better!

thank you LC for getting off the political crap path!!! had ehough of that..ah,football finally!! i always find myself rooting for the browns,but damn did they suck it up again!!! it's too early to tella good team yet,but dallas did look killer..and it's fun watching favre again!! pittsburgh and buffalo looked really good too..chris

LC, For some reason, I don't feel so bad about that last second Charger loss to Carolina. It was a great game to watch, with 2 solid teams, even though the Chargers were asleep for most of the 1st half.

The Chargers were outcoached by the Panthers. Norv Turner is a little slow out of the gate, for sure. But with enough talent, and NO Brady-like injuries to key players, The Chargers will be strong for the playoffs, where anything can happen.

Yeah, As much as I dislike the Patriots, I hated to hear about Brady's injury.I agree, Favre did look pretty good. Now...back to my Cowboys! I haven't been this excited about the NFC East in awhile(esp.Dallas)! Cleveland gave Romo oodles of time in the pocket, and I'm really excited about Dallas rookie, Felix Jones. I think he has tons of potential,is quick, and should help in the rushing dept. Depending on how bruised up Barber is - we may see more of Felix Jones when Dallas meets the Eagles,(a "little more" of a formidable opponent) this week. Go Cowboys!

Regarding Brady's injury... while it's always a shame to see a player get hurt like that, it couldn't happen to a nicer team... and I have to wonder... when some of the Patriots are questioning if the hit that Bernard Pollard put on Brady was "legal" or "dirty"... New England defensive lineman Vince Wolfork questions why he was fined for what he feels was the exact same situation the week before... where he claims he was "foced" into the quarterback...

“Fair should be fair,†Wilfork said. “

My only question... coming off a season tainted by a cheating scandal, does anybody on the Patriots really have the right to utter those words?

eek

At the risk of actually saying something that CubbiefanMike might like and/or agree with.....the most impressive result, IMO, from this past weekend, was the Bears beating the Colts convincingly in Indy (AND in a brand new stadium to boot!)(29-13). Their defense looks energized again, like it did 2 years ago, and they once again appear to have a running game that'll keep their defense off the field 60-70% of the time, and well-rested. As long as Orton doesn't make mistakes at QB, they'll be hard to beat, IMO. (That's a very risky "as long as", though....)

While I was happy with the result of the Bears game, I am still very cautious for this season.

GM Jerry Angelo has done an awful job putting this offense together. The Bears needed a new line and Angelo drafted Chris Williams with his first round pick...seemed to make sense, until Williams came up lame with a bad back on his first day of pro practice. Before anyone says that's the breaks, Williams then announced to the press that he had the injury BEFORE the draft and the Bears knew it! Angelo quickly banned the kid from talking to the press and called three beat writers into his office for a private press conference and ripped the Chicago media. Williams appears lost for the season.

Now, veteran Fred Miller wants to return on the line and Angelo insists on only offering him the league minimum to return. Miller has several offers from other teams, including Tampa and Minnesota, but wants to stay here because of his children in school and other business interests. MIller is still not signed because of it and the Bears now have two rookies on the line (other than Williams).

My fear is that defenses will start stacking seven guys up front to corral young sensation Matt Forte and when that happens, Orton will have to pass. Who does he pass to? Well, there's 49ers castoff Brandon Lloyd, who hasn't caught a touchdown in two years, and ex-Bear (now returned) Marty Booker, who seems slow. There's always Devin Hester, but he doesn;t appear to understand the offense and do you really want him getting hurt playing all the time anyways?

If Forte goes down, Lions castoff Kevin Jones is his backup and he wasn't expected to even play the first six weeks due to a recovering injury.

We do have the "other" Adrian Peterson, but he's too valuable on special teams.

This team needed two new linemen, a QB, a backup RB, and two starting receivers and Angelo has delivered....NONE!

This offense scares me, but not in the way you want an offense to scare you!

Yep, agreed. On the other hand, if their defense stays healthy for once (Mike Brown....), it'll keep practically all games close. They made the Superbowl 2 years ago with possibly the worst overall offense ever to get that far.

As usual, if they win, it'll be in spite of the team's upper management....and their offense. My guess is they won't be as good as 2 years ago (13-3), nor as bad as last year (rallying at the end to go 7-9).

The AFC will be WIDE open now. I actually fear the Bills (I'm a Jet fan). Also, the way the Bolts & Colts crapped out week 1......it could be a Steeler kinda year in the AFC.

BTW....my heart goes out to poor Tom Brady...he's not a good looking man, he has an ugly girlfriend taking care of him.....and has no money in the bank. Oh I'm talking about my mailman Tom Brady...not the Patriot QB. laugheekwink

John