Taking the High Road / The End Of Election '08

Tim From Wisconsin

I'm having fun JohnO.

Paulie's got guts, is knowledgable and is smart as hell. He's an asset to the discourse on this board. I think he's a good guy, and is motivated by the right reasons. I agree with a lot that he says, though politically incorrect. I only read a fraction of what's posted so maybe I've missed something. And I don't agree with all he says, or how he says it.

But based on the posts I've read, I'm a fan of Paulie's..

Other than the fact that our Mississippi boy still has a "Colored Only" guest bathroom in his house, I'm a fan of Paulie's also!

JUST KIDDING PAULIE! DON'T SHOOT ME... wink

I only brought up "Tonight" vs "Ecstacy" as a diversion from the heaviness of the other posts. So since you asked, when I first purchased "Side 3" in 1973, I enjoyed "E" much more than "T", but now having listened to both songs a zillion times over 35 years, I've become more and more drawn to "Tonight." No doubt that one is an all-out tip of the cap to the Small Faces, while the other is an obvious thank-you to the Who.

I also must admit that Paulie's fascination with assasination is troublesome. I think we all know how you feel, there's no need to keep harping on it.

I also must admit that Paulie's fascination with assasination is troublesome. I think we all know how you feel, there's no need to keep harping on it.

Done deal... you won't hear of it from me again until it either happens or we get news of a major threat averted by the alert Secret Service...

As for Ecstacy vs. Tonight... I always thought that Tonight should have been a huge hit... and that Ecstacy was supposed to be the follow up... when Tonight tanked, Capitol knee-jerked and released I'm A Rocker... Dave's "Should I Wait" should have been a single too... but Ecstacy was a dynamic song... I owned the Columbia House Record Club edition of the 8 track and the way they cut the songs, there would have been a huge gap on one of the tracks... so they actually cut Ecstacy so that the instrumental section double played... which made me love the song even more, if there was one flaw with Rasperries songs it was that they rarely got to highlight their talents with lengthy solos... possibly one of the reasons that Wally is so under appreciated as a guitarist...

When the live album came out I realized just how much I really did like Ecstacy... but ironically, the live version of I'm A Rocker is Eric's masterpiece from that album... Imagine if the live show at Carnegie Hall had been allowed to be recorded as they band had planned... what might have been...

"Other than the fact that our Mississippi boy still has a "Colored Only" guest bathroom in his house, I'm a fan of his also!"

You mean Paulie allows them in his house???

ALSO JUST KIDDING!...........

They have to use the back door... eek

OK... I'm kidding now... I've never let the color of a man (or woman) determine whether or not I would like them to the point of sharing a meal with them... For many years my best friend in the whole world was a black man; we shared campouts with our kids, took fishing trips together, went to dinner together... when I moved out west he of course continued life here and when I got back we've seen each other a couple of times, but run in different crowds now... still, the front door was always open to him, his family, his friends... and still is... laugh

I don't know of anyone famous that shares my birthday, 11-22-62, but on my first birthday John F. Kennedy was shot. While I was growing up anyone who would ask me when my birthday was would look at me and say, "you're joking". I will never know how the country really felt that day since I was only one but I can surely guess by the reactions to the mere date. I guess it would be the same for anyone born on 9-11 or 12-7.

I've made a point of NOT saying anything on the political threads because I come here for music and camaraderie...and there wouldn't be too much love flowing between me and many of the posters on said threads.

HOWEVER...

EC* has become my hero all over again. He has verbalized virtually everything I've been thinking...right down to the Bobby Kennedy comment.

LC, Sterling and A-Berries also made some comments that reminded me why we are buddies. (Well, I guess A-Berries is a potential buddy. <g>)

I have very deep feelings about the whole female/sexism part of this discussion, as well as the point about religion (kudos again to EC*), but am not going to go there...again, I come here for music discussion.

That said, "Ecstasy" is my ringtone music, but "Tonight" is easier for me to sing. As for my birthday-mates, they include Merv Griffin, Della Reese...now it starts to go south...Nancy Reagan...and W himself. Criminy! All I can say is that must be someone's idea of a cruel joke. Anyone who knows me and anyone who even got a whiff of things left unsaid in this post is laughing their you-know-what off over that one.

Again, thank you Eric*, for weighing in on this and for, once again, saying it so well.

s*

I don't make friends based on political views. Political dicussions can get pretty heated...esp on an internet message board. I am 180 degrees from Austinberries, but he is one of my five favorite posters on this board [Having met him,I know he a solid guy]and Marv, whose politics are also left of mine is without a doubt the nicest guy on the board.

The sexism in the presidential campaign was disgusting.

Thanks to Eric...for his MUSIC.

I'd like to give all who participated in political discourse this important presidential campaign season a hand...it's called freedom of speech, political debate. To those who still harbor hate or ill will...let it go, and let debate continue.

Don't forget...there are alot of music related threads here...post there too!

Susana is cool, and a great friend to have. I don't blame anyone who thinks better of piling into the EC.com political debates -- they get a little heated and off-topic and personal. Nothing wrong with sticking to music here at EC.com, right?

Susana, you and W have the same birthday? OUCH! OUCH! I would try to legally change my birthday....! haha