Taking the High Road / The End Of Election '08

Tim From Wisconsin

Unless something really unsual happens, it looks like we will have a President Obama. I voted for John McCain and I stand by my vote. That being said, I will take the high road and congratulate Mr Obama on his victory. I sincerely hope that he surrounds himself with the proper people from both parties as he said he would, because his Presidency will be tough from the start. I don't plan on leaving the country, so I just need to trust that the majority of Americans voted correctly.

Again, congrats to Obama, his family and supporters.

At least I can get to bed early... zzz Wake me if a miracle happens and I can take back my concession. eek

Tim

The only silver lining might be...They find a way to pay for some of the new bumbling Gub-ment socoal programs by cutting the overblown defense budget...So our taxes only go up about 10%.

I can live with lively debate on talk-radio (Fairness Doctrine)

Can't live with non-secret Union votes.

Can't imagine how more power for Pelosi, Reid, Frank, Murtha, Schumer... can be anything but a DISASTER, even if Obama turns out to be a competent President. The Congress and Senate are going to be a nightmare like it has been for the last 2 years...

"No No No No, not God Bless America, God Da-- America!" - Our new "Secretary Of Reparations"... crying

President Obama is going to move to the center. He's not going to let the extreme left control him. He knows that's not what America wants. This is an absolutely HISTORIC day in the history of America. Whether you know it or not, in the eyes of the world, this election has just made America look like the land of promise once again.

I think John McCain is a good man, but he wasn't the right man for this moment. Hamas, Hezbullah and Al- Quaida all would have LOVED four more years of tough, hard-line American foreign policy. Bush was probably the single best recruiting tool they've ever had.

Barack inspires. I am so proud of this country right now, I can't begin to tell you.

I have listened to journalist after journalist, on ALL the news channels, talking about the fact that Obama has run the best managed campaign they've seen in at least 25 years. Let's all hope he can manage the problems we face here with the same skill.

And finally, no matter who won this election, our taxes are going up. The estimated cost for the war in Iraq is 4 TRILLION DOLLARS. In addition, we now have the bailout of the entire financial system, the collapse of the housing market, a failing education system, a deep recession, and a broken Social Security system.

I don't like the idea of higher taxes any more than any of you do, but i don't think McCain would have had any choice but to raise them. I also don't think Obama's going do anything that might push us further into a recession, so he might not raise taxes too quickly.

Eric,

I agree with all that you have said. This is exactly what our country needs at this time. We have been through some very trying times with all of the things that have taken place that we all know too well. I am very proud of our country. It is not going to be easy at all. It is going to be very difficult to put it midly but we are up to the task and things will improve. We have far more that unites us than divides us. We are all Americancs.... God Bless America!!!

Phil

I'm not sold on Obama...we'll see maybe he'll surprise me. His limited record is certainly to the left of things...Here's hoping he'll move to the center...much of his campaign rhetoric towards the end did go to the right [Tax cuts].

One thing for sure...a black man being elected president in a country where 50 years ago they had to ride in the back of the bus is a defining moment in history. It is a moment to be proud of.

Heck I'm not American, but I've got to say that tonight with Obama's win, I felt an incredible amount of pride. To see the emotion, the joy, the tears on the faces of the racially-mixed crowd in Chicago, speaks volumes. This is your moment America. Be proud of what you did today, and may the promise of today be yours tomorrow and every day that follows.

His speech really kicked into high gear when he talked about that 106 year-old lady casting her first vote. Her perspective of the country and all that has happened since the beginning of the 20th century. The chants of "Yes we can" growing louder as the chronological events of the last century were recapped. That was inspirational. God Bless America!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've got tears in my eyes right now.

If you're watching television, this is what "hope" looks like.

e

I'm with you on that, Eric. No matter how good the ideas and policies are, they don't work without "hope."

McCain is a good man, but Obama is the right choice. It's unfortunate that we had 8 long, long years of "the wrong choice," but now we can officially move on from the old regime.

Onward and upward!

Well said LC!!!!

Thanks, Phil.... Hey, we've got that matching birthday coming up, don't we? Ugh.... Seeing all the "youngsters" celebrating at Grant Park in Chicago made me feel... older! Heck, I was fired up when Clinton/Gore won in 1992, and even drove to D.C. (I lived in NH at the time) to go to the inauguration. It was a madhouse, and frigid, but it was fun to be there.... Man, that was 16 years ago!

I haven't felt this much optimism since Bobby Kennedy.

I love that Obama is brilliant. I love that he seems like a reasonable man. I love that his wife is at least as bright as he is. I love that America chose to embrace hope over fear. And I REALLY love having a President that can pronounce the word "nuclear."

e

I'm always very proud to be an American, but tonight even more so. Barack Obama really is the right choice for our country at this time.

It's going to take an extraordinary person to turn things around and unite our country. I truly believe that Barack Obama is that person.

His speech tonight left me more hopeful and optomistic than I have felt in a long time.

This is truly an historic night, not only for the United States, but for the world.

I've always stayed away from any political views here, and at work.The "unknowns" always made me very uneasy. I just hope that this country gets back on the right track.I am very upset that our School Levy passed though, The last time the Levy passed, the "Super",gave himself a 60k/yr. pay raise.I say Fix the problem, run it like a business,we have way too many empty houses here, and we, the people who still live here, have to pay MORE and more....

Obama's a smart guy. He's a young guy. He's Jimmy Stewart in "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington." He'll have to stay true to his beliefs if he hopes to survive what happens once the political machine starts chomping down on him. I voted for him and wish him the best of luck...with the legacy Bush leaves (can he just leave NOW instead of waiting until January?), he's gonna need it!

Unfortunately Hamas sent 35 rockets into Southern Israel last night...but it wouldn't have mattered who was elected...Pres. Obama will be tested just like virtually every other president post WW II.

I voted McCain...but Obama is our president. There will be disagreements for sure but I want him to succeed for the sake of each one of us. I guess that means "country first?"

Finally.....when I look into the mirror each morning to shave this tired old face, that's when I see hope. I inspire me, I motivate me because I'm the one endeavouring for me, my loved ones and my country...now THAT'S empowerment.

When I lay my daughters down to sleep at night I HOPE they are on the same path of hard work, respect for others and personal-responsibility.

John