Misheard Lyrics

Matthew C. Clark

Darlene, I consider myself fortunate I was able to see Plant. I missed the Page/Plant tour in the 90's and really wanted to see them. The last time I saw the band I believe was in the 70's--crappy seats in a large venue here with terrible acoustics!! Yes, there are artists that should be in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame--and we know how that goes--politics,politics. Fortunately, some of the major ones have made it.

I saw Zeppelin on the '77 tour. Actually, they did a lot more of their mellow stuff than what we expected. "No Quarter" had an incredible grand piano improvisation by John Paul Jones, after he got away from the electronic keyboards."Kashmir" was also great, and John Bonham sang the female voice on "The Battle of Evermore". Also liked the way they did "Nobody's Fault But Mine".

And I think I know where Page got the idea for the solo on "Whole Lotta Love".......his previous band, the Yardbirds, did a song called "I Ain't Got You"(Clapton did the studio version)....but I think Page, having played it so many times, took the basic solo from that song.....but took it to a new dimension. Check this out and compare.

Also, Jones summed it up why Zeppelin sounded better than, and got more respect than, other rock bands.....something like "we don't spend our time checking out other rock bands. We listen to Country, Indian music, James Brown, etc....and incorporate some of these influences...."

And it certainly makes sense.....quite a difference between Zep and the likes of Foghat,

Thin Lizzy, Nugent, BTO, AC/DC, Kiss, etc....Zep has a bit more depth in their music......all these other bands are just straight rock'n'roll and wouldn't even attempt doing anything with a modal scale, or in 5/4 time.....

• 2 weeks later...

Darlene, I presume that you know music theory, and are familiar with the modal scales...Zeppelin sometimes throws in the modal-based stuff(eastern sounding scale in "Kashmir").

Or weird time changes--as in going from a country beat to a rock shuffle in "Down By the Seaside". Or the fact that "The Crunge" is mostly in 5/4 time. Or the interesting stop/go rhythm in "Royal Orleans".

I think a lot of the stuff on the "Zeppelin III" album uses acoustics with alternate tunings, not the EADGBE normally used.

Even some of the recording techniques they try something out of the ordinary. Like recording in a castle(if I recall correctly)but only relying on the natural echo, and using just three mikes for the drums.

There's a lot of subtle stuff that makes Zeppelin music tastier than most common rock bands.

Billy, You are a musician's musician! You've certainly got it all down. Those are the reasons I loved Led Zep! Still do! I swear, you covered everything! Knowledge of music theory really enables one to look at everything analytically and enhances one's appreciation of it all!

smile --Darlene

You know what it is I like about Robert Plant when he was, LED ZEPPLEN, well, his music, the viloen used in his music, his voice, the story turned into his music, the overall songs.

It sounds like rok n roll classical.

Of the 70's, Now, we enter the 80's and 90' and the 20000's,Vanessa Mae is our future classical pop star, her music, with the violin is well liked.

How many more rocks from the past, used a viloin in rock n roll? and still are?

The last time I heard of LaFlamme, he, interestingly enough, was an opening act for Kansas---and that was back in the late 70s. So I don't have a clue what happened to him. He was still living near San Francisco at that point.

Footnote.... His bassist, Bud Cockrell, was a founding member of Pablo Cruise, but left after the second or third album. The Cockrell-Santos band(featuring his wife Patti Santos)didn't really go anywhere.

After seeing the lyrics to "Uncle John's Band" by the Grateful Dead, I realize that I misheard the lyrics in the third verse. I used to think it said, "Goddamn, well I declare, Have you seen the light?" Instead, he's saying, "Goddamn, well I declare, Have you seen the like?"

smile --D

• 8 months later...

When I hear the song "Westbound # 9" by the Detroit group The Flaming Ember from August of 1970 which went to # 24 (Hot 100) on Hot Wax, I thought the singer said "Sittin' on the bank at Bullock Creek, down by the county line" instead of "Holy Creek". By the way, Bullock Creek is NOT a village in Michigan, it is near Midland, Michigan about 5 miles & 17 miles from my home. The next county line is Saginaw County (about 5 or 6 miles from Midland County). The second line of the song is that the singer talks about Deacon Jones (probably not the former football player for the Los Angeles Rams). Matt

Matt, haven't heard the song in a while, but they might be referring to "Deacon John", a blues singer........in the song "Rockin' at Midnight"

(Roy Brown----later covered by Robert Plant) I thought that they said "Deacon Jones", too but actually they were saying "Deacon John".

Interesting coincidence that a cousin of mine got married to a guy named Kermit Alexander---also not the guy from the Rams....

Many years ago Felix Cavaliere was at doing an interview at the RKO Radio Networks. One of the engineers went up to him and asked, "how's Leslie doing?" Felix burst out laughing.

One of my personal favorite misheard lyrics comes courtesy of our friend Mike's grandfather. In "Sir Duke" when Stevie Wonder sings, "they can feel it over..." Mike's grandfather thought they were singing "naked people all over. Naked people all over, Cleveland." Now every time we hear the song, we sing it with the new lyrics. Much more fun smile

Another one courtesy of Mike's grandfather is from Madonna's "La Isla Bonita." Instead of "Last night I dreamt of San Pedro," Mike's grandfather thought she was singing "Last night I slept on a bagel."

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

This is a new fav of mine via Phil Block on Pinterest concerning what he thought for so long were the lyrics of GATW:

For years I thought it was weird that (EC/Raspberries) sang that a girl told him to "Please Go Away" I mean come on Eric...  we're guys...we'd just lie (about what happened).  Felt a little foolish when I realized later it was "Please GATW."  :lol:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Of course the classic misheard lyric that a lot of us may experienced back in the early 1970s, as kids or pre-teens or teens, was:

"Please go away..."

Which makes no sense: "Please go away, it feels so right, being with you here tonight..." After a few listens, Eric's story-in-a-song sunk in (hey, I was only 12!). But once I got it... whew!