Misheard Lyrics

Matthew C. Clark

I had a colleague who thought Elton John's song "Island Girls" was "I Like Girls".

My sister thought Simon and Garfunkel lyrics to Sounds of Silence were "and the words of a prophets are written on the subway walls and tell me more.....instead of the correct "and tenemant halls".

Last night there was some great programming on, and "The Song Remains The Same," (the movie that Led Zeppelin made) was on. A long movie, but there was so much music. So many years pssing makes it easy to forget what made them so different from anyone else. I was a dyed-in-the-wool Led Zep fan, as well as Raspberries fan. Anyway, when Plant started "Whole Lotta Love," I remembered that I always thought it sounded like he was saying, "You need some KOOL-AID..."!

smile --Darlene

That IS funny, Matt! Just a fool waiting all around blonde...Sounds like Robert Plant! haha.

He really had the Peter Frampton hair thing going on. I also forgot how thin he was. What a body. (Of course *I* was very thin then, too. I weighed 98 lbs soaking wet! I had a great body too! Now I have to get motivated to exercise and try to get most of it back... frown )Everytime I see John Bonham, I feel so bad...He was the most amazing drummer--such a tragedy he lived life so on the edge that it did him in...They could never have replaced him. They were glorious while they lasted...

frown --D

BUSHMAN!!! So glad to see you're okay! With everything that's going on in Asia, I was worried about you--I know you travel a lot. You have to come back Stateside for good one of these days...unless you love it there. Welcome back.

I wasn't sure about those lyrics when I first heard them, either. But I do love that song...

smile --Darlene

BUSHMAN!!! So glad to see you're okay! With everything that's going on in Asia, I was worried about you--I know you travel a lot. You have to come back Stateside for good one of these days...unless you love it there. Welcome back.

I wasn't sure about those lyrics when I first heard them, either. But I do love that song...

smile --Darlene

i'm going to thailand on 1/19 (got my ticket today). if i see anything i will report it of course, with my typical documentary style. as for my returning to the US for good - Darlene, i'm afraid to go there just for a visit! i'm already scoping out the next place i'll have to go once china decides to take over taiwan (and the gutless who will stand by and let it happen). what a world. i've seen a good portion of it, and things are rapidly coming to a close. take care

Yep. At the Garden in 197? Can't remember what year, but that show was featured in their movie, The Song Remains The Same. Saw them someplace else too--can't remember where. Saw so many bands in those days--we went all over the place to the big venues. (?)Bonham was an animal on drums--amazing. I lived to see him play. Plant always cracked on Stairway to Heaven, because they did it at the very end of the show and the guy was screaming like Janis Joplin for two and a half hours straight before he did STH.THAT made a lot of sense! But that's what they did. And it was fabulous. One forgets how fantastic it was live until you see the movie again. The cross-rhythms, the damn TEMPOS and these amazing cadences right to another song. So tight. It amazed the "be-Jesus" out of me, as my Irish mother-in-law would say, if she were here!

Jimmy Page was THE quintessential guitarist--my GOD. Sometimes I wonder if Wally was influenced by him. He had the double-neck before Wally. Led Zep started in like 1968...Page looked like he was in another world when he played. He WAS. The most underappreciated and understated genius was John Paul Jones, though. JPJ was never appreciated as much by me as he should have been. Page produced everything, but JPJ was a master, if you watch him...What a glorious band. And...I was a Raspberries fan at the same time! How wild is THAT?

smile --D

Darlene-I was able to see Robert Plant perform this last November. There was a tribute to Lead Belly sponsored by The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.(One of Plants' influences) Even though Plant did look a little older--I will have to say that he still has those pipes!! He did a duet with Alison Krause and he also performed Gallows Pole (original source Leadbelly's Gallis Pole) among other songs on his own. I do have to say his performance definitely left a desire to see him and Page tour once again!!