T.V.-Not So Much

ira

When I was a kid...T.V. was the center of my universe.

I've never been an intellectual...What I like on T.V. is not necessarily "Discovery Channel-The Roman Empire"...I like what I like.

But in the last coupla years I find that although after 11:00 P.M. I love curlin' up in bed and watchin' reruns of "Two And 1/2 Men","Seinfeld","Frazier","Family Guy" etc... Until that time...I much prefer playin' on the computer,and visiting such places as,`Bobbyvee.com.Ericcarmen.com,youtube,Boxofficemojo.com,AOL British Invasion Radio etc. and no longer spend my time just watching so-so stuff on T.V.

...Are you guys avid T.V. watchers or have you found that all the computer possibilities have changed your leisure-time activities as well.

Also...When you do watch T.V....What do you watch?-Ira.

As TV didn't get to this side of the Pacific for a lot of years I didn't become a TV watcher until the late 1960's. By then I was in my late teens and checking out the girl population. Because it was new and different I think we watched just about everything.

These days I watch the news, lots of sports, Motoring stuff on various channels and a few programs like NCIS & Bones.

Ira, I think you are right in that for many of us the computer has changed our TV viewing habits and we can select what we want to look at and when.

The other night I "surfed" through over 100 channels and could find nothing worth watching. Then it's time for some EC or Raspberries music or a wander around cyberspace.

Muzza cool

Ira,

I am a person who grew up in the fifties and sixties....a true boomer. If you think back to that time, we were much more united as a nation in that you could go to work or school and talk about what was on TV last night. We only really had 3 choices...the networks. We would talk about and analyze and compare programs especially the big ones like "Wizard of Oz" when it was shown, Hulabaloo, Shindig, The Fugitive, Ed Sullivan Show with all those British Invasion bands, I Love Lucy, and the list goes on. Now we can not be united in that way since there are 150+ choices.

Yes I would agree with your statements completely. There are far more stations available than in the past. That just means it takes you longer to figure out not much is worth watching!

I have made the statement to myself and others about T.V. and that is ....Hey, T.V. you used to be my friend and now you have betrayed me because you are really not worth watching all that much.

Phil

Since we got a DVR (Tivo) we record a lot of programs and watch what we want when we want. 1 hour shows can be watched in 40 minutes by skipping through the commercials. Programs like:

Two and a half Men

House

CSI (LV, Miami, NY)

Numbers

Lost (when it is on)

Burn Notice

NCIS

and others

All while surfin' EC.com and Philly.com on a laptop, ya know.

I don't watch to much TV, I like Top Chef, and Family guy, and Survivor but other than that, I stay busy with the computer, or reading...Right now I'm in the process of painting the inside of my house...so that keeps me busy...I love to paint..when I'm done inside, I'll do the outside...and yes, I do it all by myself smile

I usually watch dvd's of british sitcoms and/or dramas or once in awhile a mini-series on dvd. The only real show I watch on tv now is Lost - but I am going to tune in tonight to Nip Tuck just to get some eye candy from Julian McMahon ahahahha....

I usually watch dvd's of british sitcoms and/or dramas or once in awhile a mini-series on dvd. The only real show I watch on tv now is Lost - but I am going to tune in tonight to Nip Tuck just to get some eye candy from Julian McMahon ahahahha....

Julian McMahon? Who's that? Is he as cute as Eric?

When I was a kid, we only got 3 channels - NBC and ABC pretty good, CBS didn't come in so well. Now about all I watch is news, weather, football and baseball; I will watch Frasier reruns occasionally and also old Family Guys (don't find the newer ones to be as funny as the older ones). I'll also look at the ends of NASCAR races sometimes; if I try to watch the whole race, I end up falling asleep in the chair... imagine that...

My favorite TV show is American Idol... I especially love the beginning of the show where those who have made the first cut audition in front of the judges. I don't like to see them hurt or made fun of... the producers obviously put a few of the really bad, contestants, (like William Hung of She Bangs fame) to add that extra element to the show. When they do it without being hurtful, it really is so funny.

Watching the talent grow in each individual is exciting also. But even being voted the American Idol doesn't guarantee fame.

Anybody ever try out for AI? I have a friend who has produced a few segments of the show in LA, and she tells me stories not to be believed!

Otherwise, I'm on CNN, FOX or WGN from Chicago.

The local news broadcasts here are like watching the interview segments of a beuty pageant.

New York is the media center of the world and only the most charismatic and beautiful women ascend from other markets to anchor the local news.

"The Channel 11 Morning News seems to not even..."Let's Pretend" we're a real news broadcast...They're all "soft stuff" and pretty faces and a guy Larry something who does that..."I'm here with Salvatore in Bay Ridge Brooklyn as he bakes the world's biggest "Peperoni Pizza" ...type stuff that drove Jim Carrey to distraction in Bruce Almighty".

Nonsense stuff...But easy on the eyes...and surprise surprise!...It gets great ratings.

"The Channel 11 MORNING! News is so popular it's now on from 4:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. when the hard news continues with "The Maury Show" I believe.

Well gotta go catch a little "Channel 11 Morning News"...Jill Nicolini the unbelievably beautiful Traffic Reporter may be modeling upcoming "Spring Fashions" if I'm lucky! eye -Ira.