Hofner Bass

Billy K.

Yeah, just got a "knock-off" of the Hofner bass(like Sir Paul's) a couple of days ago. The thought had crossed my mind that maybe I would be more comfortable playing a 3/4 size instead of a full size, like the Squire P-bass I have.

Well, I got it, and actually do like it better. The finish is pretty nice, considering it is a budget one. Getting some decent tone out of it, as well. Stock strings are not all that great but I can change those.

The pickguard is about the only thing that was cheesy about this bass. They were better off not having a pickguard at all instead of this one.

Check out the 6 string accoustic series Hofner made for a couple years before discontinuing in 2004. Sienna series. The HAS-5 or the HAS-7 models are really nice accoustics. Designed in Germany, mostly German materials- but assembled in Asia similar to Epiphone concept. You can still find them around if you search.Theres also a decent one with pick up built in. I paid $160 bucks for mine and its as good as my Martin. I play Raspberries songs to my girlfriend on it but she's seems to be quite disappointed because I cant hit any of Eric's notes. My "so bad" part in "I wanna be with You" is pretty pathetic.Soon Im going to ask her to sing that note.

Mine is the Rogue brand, the "house" brand from Musicians Friend. Actually not bad for what they are. Made in Korea(I had expected China or Indonesia or India at the price, but that can explain why the quality is that good.)

Just wondering how you guys are doing with your particular model. Does yours have a pickguard on it?(All of the Epiphones I have seen have no pickguard, and the Rogue has a tacky one. Jay Turser's I've seen have a decent pickguard.)

Are you using round-wound or flats? Or combinations thereof(some use all flats except a round one on the E string).

Is this your main bass, or just for occasional use?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, guys, did change the strings. Not exactly ready to take the flat-wound plunge, as of yet.

The GHS short scale strings work phenominally well..but one issue.....and a trite cosmetic one, at that......the leader(or whatever you call it)goes halfway into the first fret.

Can't notice from a distance due to the fact it is yellow. But had the beginning of the string was red or a more pronounced color, that would be a different issue.

Should I be better off going to standard strings? Are the "short-scale" strings actually for 1/2 size instruments, and NOT 3/4?

And again, a difinitive opinion on flats? Anyone use them? What do you think of them?