Great 'not-well-known' guitarists

marvin

Yikes....hope you didn't get ahold of the Greatest hits Cd where there is more post Pete Ham material than the great stuff while he was alive and kicking. Anyway, the Thorns are a different animal altogether....kinda like Poco if you remember them. Pretty mellow, don't expect to rock to them.

Kevin

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My list.....to name others...well, the late, great Terry Kath of Chicago---could do everything from straight jazz to jazz to Hendrix-type stuff.

Nile Rogers(Chic). I was never thrilled with Chic, but Rogers did some great stuff on other people's recordings later on.

David Gilmour(Pink Floyd)....really underrated. Shows a lot of finesse and taste, trying to not sound like anyone else. Besides the Floyd stuff, he does some great solo acoustic stuff, plus did some rockabilly with McCartney.

Tommy Tedesco.....he is no longer with us, but will not be forgotten. Played thousands of studio sessions on songs we hear all the time.... Sinatra, Beach Boys, Spector Groups, Tijuana Brass, TV themes, etc....

Billy K when I was making out my guitarist list, I also had Tommy Tedesco and Terry Kath on the list. Two long-gone but never-will-be-forgotten guitar geniuses.

Tony as far Badfinger is concerned, I can't believe that you don't like them. In my opinion, their rockers were every bit as good as the 'berries', and I would say that their ballads rivalled Eric's best ones.

As KevG mentioned, the Thorns are much more laid-back in the Poco vein. If you're not interested in purchasing a copy of their disc, I'll burn you a copy.

MARVIN

Stu5 Mick Ronson was certainly a great guitarist, but do you really think he was "not-so-well-known"?

MARVIN

Marvin Actually most people don't really know much about him.I think you tend to overlook the fact that most people probably don't have your musical knowledge.

His best efforts were IMHO his first two solo albums Slaughter on 10th Avenue and Play Don't Worry.He also did all the arranging and producing and the great piano playing on the Ziggy Stardust album which Ive read that Bowie hardly gave him much credit for.I did get to see him with Ian hunter at the 9:30 club in D.C. just before he died.Probably my all time favorite show because it was such a small venue.Probably 100 people.He was sharing brews with the girls in front of the stage.

If you're a fan of Mick Ronson, pick up Ian Hunter's latest, "Rant." Hunter was probably Ronson's best friend, and this is his first release since Ronson died. An album full of anguish and great R'n'R.

MARVIN

I'll have to pick that up.I'm a big Ian fan as well.

• 2 weeks later...

How about Steve Howe from Yes. Despite John Anderson's freaky lyrics, That band's music is timeless. Listen to all 18+ minutes of the song "Close to the Edge". What a great symphony of 70's progressive rock music. Howe and keyboardist Rick Wakeman play off each other like two music masters at the top of their game.

Marvin, did you ever get into Yes from the early to mid 70's?

• 2 weeks later...

Iain Harvey from Del Amitri. Saw them live and his playing remided me a lot of Wally's style.

Eric Faulkner from the Bay City Rollers. Awesome guitar player with exceptionally good melodic playing. Non-conventional. Eric also plays viola, violin, mandolin and uke. Check out his later works in late 70's and early 80's.

Bahoo :p

• 7 months later...

Put Wally in that group of 'not-well-known' great guitar players. The list is endless. I've got my list, who's on yours?

MARVIN

I scoured all the posts for this one and it's amazing that no one mentioned the most obvious stand-out... and this proves how "not well-known" he is...

Ross The boss from The Dictators... of whom i posted on some other chat about before-- He is absolutley the greatest hard rock lead guitarist I've ever seen. His ability is in the league of the masters (speed) but his style (with The Dictators, not Man-O-War) was fused with classic punk attitude. He comes across like Johnny Thunders with Eddie Van Halen's chops.

Live he's a monster, and mix that with the greatest rhythmn guitarist, Scott (Top 10) Kempner and it's the most incredible hard rock guitar attack ever. At times it's reminiscent to Thin Lizzy or Kiss, but with more intensity...

How about,

Davey Johnstone (Elton John's longtime guitartist)

Berton Averre The Knacks lead guitarist, saw him play from about 3 feet away from me, I was in the front row, and he just knocked me out!)

Waddy Wachtel (huge session guitarist, has played for Ronstadt,James Taylor,Warren Zevon,Keith Richards. although I haven't heard much about him in the last few years)

• 2 weeks later...

Go easy on me, I just discovered this thread, and breezed through it. For me, Great "not well known guitarist", one comes immediately to mind that I just love, Brian Setzer.

Originally from the Stray Cats, and of course now with the BSO. Saw him here in Seattle with the cats a few years ago, and recently around Christmas with the BSO. Both times at the stage, .. in..f'in..incredible. I tell people I went home and threw my guitar out the window. I was in disbelief what he can do, and he's pretty handy writing a melody or horn charts.

Most folks around here don't recognize the name, just like EC, I have to mention the big top 40 hit, to begin the "Oh yeah" conversation.

BTW, saw Rick Springfield a couple of times at some really small, now defunct Seattle bars, and he's the real deal on guitar too. Billy K, remember the Backstage in Seattle? Beleive it or not, I saw David Cassidy there in the mid-90's when he was down, and he's a very competent rockin' guitarist too.

Seattle Steve

Well possibly most people would not know Davey Johnstone or Waddy Wachtel or Brian Setzer, but I consider them to be pretty well-known and all fabulous guitarists. Although Rick S is well-known, he is very under-appreciated and unknown as a guitarist. How recognizable is Davey? I met him twice in ToysRUs in NYC.

Marvin