Books..

James

Three I've read, and worth mentioning since the last thread:

"The Fate of Africa", by Martin Meredith - if you're interested in Africa, you have to read this book. I mean you HAVE to read this book. A non-fiction tale of Africa's history since independence. So highly informing, and still reads like a novel...though even more engrossing.

"The Old Man and The Sea", Ernest Hemingway - I hadn't read this for many years. It really moved me this time... a lot more than the last time I read it for some reason. It's categorization as a classic is more than deserved.

"Heavan and Hell: My Life In The Eagles", Don Felder - pretty gripping book. I'm ambivalent about Felder choosing to write it and some of his conclusions. But I've always been a big Felder fan, and am probably even more a fan after reading the book.

Anybody else?

"Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optomist" by Michael J. Fox. I read his first book, "Lucky Man", and not only loved it but was very inspired by it. I just knew this one would be as good. I was wrong --- it's even better! This is an amazing man who's not only motivated me but inspired me in regards to living life with chronic illness. Nothing stops him and nothing ever should! In a world of celebrity idiocy, Michael shows class, integrity, and character that kicks you upside the head and reminds you of what is real and important in life! heartpumpheartpumpheartpump

• 3 weeks later...

Read the Felder book a couple of years ago, and enjoyed it. I'm a big Felder fan, and while I think he dug his own grave by criticizing Henley and Frey, I think most of the stuff he has written is probably true.

Finished Ken Follet's "Pillars Of the Earth" a month or so ago, now reading the sequel, "World Without End."

I'm reading "Quiet Strength" by former Indianapolis Colts/Tampa Bay Bucs coach Tony Dungy. I've been coaching children for fourteen years now, but I can't begin to tell you the things I have learned about coaching already from this book. I've been asked to run the local high school varsity basketball team my daughter plays for this summer and can't wait to try some of these principles.

I like "Audiobooks" because of my dyslexia. My comprehension skills are low; therefore, I honestly don't read books that often. The spoken word to me is easier to retain.

I read The Other Side of Midnight, by Sidney Sheldon when I was younger, but I just got it on CD and it was even better!

I do like Tudor history therefore anything on CD that I can get my hands on...I listen to. I also like biographies...I might check into the MJF book, Kathy Lee.

For all rock fans pick up "Joe Vitale Backstage Pass". A great book!! I am loving reading this book. From his web page; the summary:

Get a Backstage Pass for all the craziness of rock ‘n roll! After years of hearing the comment, “You should write a book!†world renowned drummer Joe Vitale finally takes you backstage for a rare and intimate look behind the scenes, as told to his wife of thirty-five years, Susie Vitale. This book includes Joe’s all-time favorite stories and over a hundred pages of his personal photographs! Backstage Pass is a very personal, humorous, and nostalgic history-in-stories of on the road and in the studio spanning over forty years of his rock ‘n roll drumming career. His stories, dating right up to 2008, include experiences with legendary performers such as Crosby, Stills and Nash, The Eagles, Dan Fogelberg, Peter Frampton, Ted Nugent, Joe Walsh, Neil Young, Ringo Starr, John Lennon, Keith Richards, Bill Wyman, Ronnie Wood, Carl Wilson, Rick Derringer, Van Morrison and many more. Vitale's many songwriting credentials include the classic, "Rocky Mountain Way" from "The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get" album by Joe Walsh and, "Pretty Maids All In A Row" from The Eagles album, "Hotel California." Vitale has two solo albums and is releasing his third, "Speaking In Drums," the summer of 2008. His son, Joe Vitale Jr.'s, album, which Joe Sr. produced called, "Dancing With Shadows" will also be simultaneously released. Joe continues to tour, record, write and produce, and has no plans for slowing down. The foreward for "Backstage Pass" is written by David Crosby, Graham Nash, and Stephen Stills. Read more about Joe at: www.joevitaleondrums.com

Pat, I considered reading that book. It sounds wonderful. Tell me more!

I'm currently reading a book my daughter-in-law, Val, gave me based on some deep conversations we've had. It's called "When God Winks at You" by SQuire Rushnell. It's about the 'coincidences' that happen in life that aren't really coincidences at all. <smile>

I read the following:

"Anna in the Tropics" - Nilo Cruz. A play about the lives of cigar rollers in a factory in the late 1920s. 84 pages and a quick and interesting read.

"Angels in the ER" - Robert D. Lesslie, MD - The spiritual side of things in the ER. 236 pages and a fascinating read. I might read it again just for fun.

"Picasso at the Lapin Agile" Steve Martin (yes, that Steve Martin). Three plays that are better read than described. 150 pages and worth reading.

For all rock fans pick up "Joe Vitale Backstage Pass". A great book!! I am loving reading this book. From his web page; the summary:

Get a Backstage Pass for all the craziness of rock ‘n roll! After years of hearing the comment, “You should write a book!†world renowned drummer Joe Vitale finally takes you backstage for a rare and intimate look behind the scenes, as told to his wife of thirty-five years, Susie Vitale. This book includes Joe’s all-time favorite stories and over a hundred pages of his personal photographs! Backstage Pass is a very personal, humorous, and nostalgic history-in-stories of on the road and in the studio spanning over forty years of his rock ‘n roll drumming career. His stories, dating right up to 2008, include experiences with legendary performers such as Crosby, Stills and Nash, The Eagles, Dan Fogelberg, Peter Frampton, Ted Nugent, Joe Walsh, Neil Young, Ringo Starr, John Lennon, Keith Richards, Bill Wyman, Ronnie Wood, Carl Wilson, Rick Derringer, Van Morrison and many more. Vitale's many songwriting credentials include the classic, "Rocky Mountain Way" from "The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get" album by Joe Walsh and, "Pretty Maids All In A Row" from The Eagles album, "Hotel California." Vitale has two solo albums and is releasing his third, "Speaking In Drums," the summer of 2008. His son, Joe Vitale Jr.'s, album, which Joe Sr. produced called, "Dancing With Shadows" will also be simultaneously released. Joe continues to tour, record, write and produce, and has no plans for slowing down. The foreward for "Backstage Pass" is written by David Crosby, Graham Nash, and Stephen Stills. Read more about Joe at: www.joevitaleondrums.com

Ernie I've been looking for this book in the stores for weeks (months?). Is it only available through Joe's website or other on-line sites?

Currently Reading (the books on my bedside table and next to my reading chair):

Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon

The End Of Faith by Sam Harris

Altered States by Paddy Chayefsky

Eric Carmen: Marathon Man by you-know-who - Finally! Whoopee!

The Grateful Dead Reader by various

More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon

The End Of America by Naomi Wolf

Great thread.

I just bought a Kindle.

If you're on the fence: go for it.

A book I'd reco to this crowd is Hollywood Animal by Joe Eszterhas.

Outrageous Hollywood stories (he wrote "Basic Instinct" "Flashdance" and "Showgirls" for crying out loud), great autobio (he grew up on the near West Side of Cleveland), issues of faith, relationships ... and .. he even mentions Eric in the book! 752 pages. I couldn't put it down.

"K"

Bunch of great books ideas mentioned here. I always print these threads out and put them in my "future books to read folder"..

And Marvin, I finished both those Ken Follet books in the last 6 months. They're long but so worth it. For lovers of historical fiction, they're absolute classics!

I just finished reading "Alexandra"..The last Tsarina of Russia...It was very good, I'm a history nut, and I have read pretty much everything about the royals of europe pre WWI.

next I'm going to look for a book on Henry VIII...I have been watching the Tudors on showtime, and I need to read more about him, he sure was a character.