NFL Week 10: Who Do YOU Love?

Keith Nivan

At this point the Vikings are 2 games behind the Bears. The next four games: The Bears play GB twice, Pittsburgh, Atlanta. I think the very best that they will do is 2-2, but probably 1-3. Vikings play Detroit, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Baltimore. I think the worst they will do is 2-2, but they certainly could go 3-1. This brings is to the final game where they face each other. Chicago already beat Minny once, and it is a rarity that a sweep happens in this series. The Colts are hands down the best team in football right now. Having said that, any team can have a down week. For their sakes, they hope they don't have one in the playoffs, because there are some teams in the AFC that can take advantage. I'm not sure there are in the NFC.

A closer look at the Bears:

Bears lose to WASH, CLEV, and CIN.

Then they get hot beating BALT by 4 and DET in OT and NO by 3.

Then they beat SF by more than a TD (8 points) before beating CAR and TB the last two weeks. In last weeks game they put together a 1 yrd drive for their only TD, and the week before a 12 yard drive for their only trip to the endzone.

A win is not a win. Anyone who believes that should never bet on a football game. Believe me, I have a very open mind, but they just haven't proven to me that they are not imposters.

I don't want to take anything away from their defense. They are very good, but I think that they are being elevated a little too high. They have really only played ONE good offensive team this year and Cincy scored 24 in that game. I'm still waiting and seeing.

Count me as one who thinks the Bears are imposters.... I'm just not buying into the team. Their D is tough, but the main reason they're looking so good is because that division is so weak. The Packers (with all those injuries) and the Vikings (chaos) are in disarray, and the Lions have sucked for a long time.

As for Favre being overrated? I don't see that at all. He's lost so much talent at skill positions, and then he tries to do too much. But how can you question that guy? I've heard a few talking heads asking the question, When will the Packers give their rookie QB a chance? That's ridiculous. Let him sit until Brett decides he's done, even if it's two or three more years (I hope it is). Putting the blame for that 2-8 record on Favre is crazy....

Even if I weren't a Packer fan, I'd say this: There's nobody more fun to watch in football than Brett Favre, and it's been that way since he came into the league.

I agree, Favre makes the game much more interesting. He makes his share of boneheaded plays when he tries to force a ball where he shouldn't. But he makes plays no one else can, and the game is never dull or out of reach when he's there.

I want to see the Bears play a few good teams before I buy into them. No doubt, the NFC Central isn't what it has in the past.

And Seattle Steve, I haven't seen too much of the Seahawks this year, but I hope they do well.

The fact is the Bears have not been giving themselves any margin for error but are winning games. Of course they can get caught by the Vikings and not make the playoffs.

But the point is they've come from 4-12 last year and a 1 - 3 start this year to stand today at 8 - 3. There's been no quit in this team, they get better each week and they play with a relative degree of class.

There's nothing negative here,..this is what sport and being a true fan is about!

It's a great story!

I honestly don't know if the Bears are for real or not, but....I mentioned earlier the similarities between them and the '00 Ravens and '02 Bucs. In both cases, nobody was willing to accept that these teams were for real..and why should they, with Trent Dilfer at QB and no offense aside from Jamal Lewis in the case of the former, and Brad Johnson manning the controls for the latter?

Regarding the Bears' losses, I'd love to see them play Washington or Cleveland now. They lost to the 'Skins 9-7 in Orton's first ever NFL game, and to Cleveland in his 3rd, when he turned the ball over twice in the last 5 minutes.

Da Bears may not be for real, but who exactly is, especially in the NFC this year? Seattle, maybe?

I think you got it right (Seattle Steve too): the Seahawks are comin' on. The defense has especially been workin'.... It would be nice to see the 'Hawks get to the Super Bowl -- even though I'm still a little bit grudgeful about Coach Holmgren's melodramatic departure from Green Bay a few years ago. He built a great team (did you know that in the mid-1990s, Favre's backups included Mark Brunell, Matt Hasselback, and Aaron Brooks, and that Holmgren also had Kurt Warner in camp?). He also had an outstanding coaching staff, including Jon Gruden and Andy Reid, among several others who later became head coaches. Then, in a power play, he abruptly left the Pack high and dry. And we've never gotten back to that level again....

Many years ago, when I became serious on football wagering, the first rule I had to abide by was to set my emotions aside. I couldn't let who I wanted to win dictate which side I was wagering on. I also learned that stats alone are a misrepresentation of the information needed to make a smart bet. There ar e many times when teams win because of luck OR lose because of bad luck. **The best team doesn't always win** So, all I can say from my perespective, the Bears proved nothing to me by beating Tampa Bay & Carolina. I knew they had a good defense going into those games, and I knew it coming out. I knew they have a poor offense going into those games, and I knew that coming out also. The tricky part is determining HOW good is the defense and HOW poor is the offense. In my opinion, the defense is not nearly good enough to make up for how bad the offense is. And I often hear people quote that Good Defense stops Good Offense. I guess it sounds good, but It can't be proven. For every example of a good defense that stopped a good offense, I can give you as many examples of good offenses that tore apart good defenses. Balance and discipline are the most important factors to success. Having said that, teams like the Bears are good bets. The betting public never gives the proper respect to teams that rely on a good defense (at least not until they win the SuperBowl). Vegas incorporates that fact into the spread. So take the Bears ATS, but straight up......the luck will soon run out.

I have a friend who is a Colts fan. He kept trying to sell me on the fact that their defense was so good this year. I told him that if they shut down the Bengals, then I'll buy into it. But my prediction was that Cincy would expose the fact that Indys defense really isn't what it is cracked up to be. For anyone who saw that game, both teams pretty much moved the ball at will against the other. Didn't see much defense there.