The "Winter Classic"

marvin

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the second time the NHL has gone the outdoor route. In 2004, Montreal and Edmonton played outdoors in Edmonton in horribly cold weather. Weather today in Buffalo is much better, even though there is snow and some players are wearing tuques under their helmets.

What a great day for hockey! An OUTDOOR very entertaining game on national television, an overtime, a shootout, and then your league's marquee star (Sidney Crosby)scores the game winning goal!

And best of all? (back me up on this, Marv!) Both teams wore the right uniforms, going with the retro 70's look (Pens powder blue, Sabres white with gold and royal blue piping) instead of the currrent blah black sweaters that everyone wants to wear nowadays!

2008...the year of the NHL!

There are pockets of the U.S. where hockey is huge (e.g. Minnesota, Boston, Texas), but for the most part the U.S. ignores what is essentially the most exciting sport around. They should have kept it to the Original Six teams: Boston, Chicago, Detroit, New York, Montreal and Toronto.

Hey Marv, with the original six we would have an all star game every night! The Winter Classic was the best -- how cool was it seeing those original uniforms -- both Pittsburgh and Buffalo should stick with those -- I say dump most alot of these US teams that don't make money and interest is low (let's start with Nashville, Florida, Tampa Bay, Phoenix) and make the league stronger and smaller.

The NHL did one hell of a job with the Winter Classic. What a great way to spend 3 plus hours on New Year's day!

Billy I'm all with you about dumping some of those teams, however Mr Bettman in is ultimate wisdom would never agree. TV revenue talks, unfortunately, even though I think NHL games are relegated to ESPN7!.

While we're at it, how come Hartford, Quebec and Winnipeg lose their teams but Carolina and Nashville get teams, and didn't the NHL learn once from the failed experiment that was Atlanta???

The only time Tampa Bay or Florida sell out their games is when one of the Canadian teams play down there - and that's because there are so many Canadians vacationing or living in FLA.

Julesberry I think Detroit would be a great location for the next "Winter Classic", but I think Ottawa is gunning for the next game.

I heard a great suggestion yesterday that the NHL should have the all-star game played as the Winter Classic. That way, 75k fans could see all the stars play live and millions would see it on television and if the weather played havoc with the teams, it wouldn't affect points in the standings because it's just the otherwise meaningless all-star game.

Lots of people already ripping the NHL for infringing on college football's big day. (I'm not a follower of college football, so I was thrilled to watch the WC)

As far as Detroit goes, I think the league wants to promote Sid the Kid as much as possible. There is talk here in Chicago that if the Hawks resurgence continues that they might host the game against Detroit at Soldier Field in a year or two.

While I am a huge fan of Original Six hockey, I also think Philadelphia deserves a shot at the game, as they have always supported their teams.

Break out the orange jerseys, right Ted?

Marv!!!! You are wiping out the last three Cup winners! LOL

Buffalo and Vancouver fans have always given their teams great support and you must have LA if only for television purposes, so you have to let them in your league.

Where would the 80's have been without the Islanders and Oilers? Denis Potvin, Bryan Trottier, and Mike Bossy might have been Montreal Canadiens! Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier might have been Chicago Blackhawks!

Wait a minute....you might have something here!

Pat, you're right. Buffalo, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton HAVE to be in the NHL, but I'm not sold on the Islanders or NJ anymore. Both those teams have seen their respective fan base frittered away to nothing. For that matter, I don't want an NHL with Los Angeles AND Anaheim AND San Jose. Give me one California team. I'll take LA ONLY if they go back to their purple and gold jerseys!

The NHL Network just did a little piece on when Charlie Finley owned the Seals and they showed the white skates often. The WHA destroyed the Seals, when they were loaded with young talent and lost nine or ten players in one season to the WHA.

I loved the purple and gold! Too bad Gretzky never got to wear it. You can't see it without thinking of Rogie Vachon, Marcel Dionne, Dave Taylor, Charlie Simmer, etc....Although last night, I saw a little too much LA Kings, whipping in nine goals against my ridiculously depleted Blackhawks. (Seven regulars out of the lineup and then Jonathan Toews gets hurt during the game.)

See? We've had this discussion before, but when the NHL was flourishing, they had colorful uniforms, not this black and white crap everybody wants to sport now. ONLY Boston should get to have the black jerseys and even they FINALLY added the gold shoulders they had on their classic uni's this season.

HD was made for the NHL!

I want to see the Flyers in orange, the Penguins in powder blue, the Kings in Gold, the Sharks in teal, AND force the Oilers to go back to their 80's uniforms with the royal blue and orange!

I think they planned the game before Buffalo couldnt resign Briere and Drury! The Bufalo fans are great but the team isnt that great to watch really. Its a given that they want to try to showcase Crosby. With all respect to Crosby, Id like to see the Winter classic as Detroit vs. Chicago or Toronto vs. Detroit. Or Montreal ofcourse. Its a great game given that so many can identify with playing hockey outdoors as kids.