This may be more Rhetorical but...

raspberrywolf

This may be more rhetorical in nature but I was thinking 'seriously'(ouch my brain hurtz) given the state of world economies ...what would it be like if everyone stopped putting a price on things/stopped using the concept of money??

Life is flux/change and it's human nature to either stagnate or evolve...now that being said, who was the 'person' who ever thought up this 'money' thing?? We have become slaves to it...what if everyone just started making a better world and 'shared' their gifts/talents/resources/services for the better of mankind?? Lastly, I want to say, that for those of you who think what I am saying is a bunch of idealistic/unrealisitic dreams...then you never understood the song "Imagine" on any level. Just me, my thoughts and a very very humble opinion.

*Vera* spin

...." All too often we love things and use people, when we should be loving people and using things. " Reuel L. Howe LuvLove

I've often wondered the same thing.

And clocks--get rid of clocks. We've scheduled ourselves out of really living according to nature. IMO that's part of the reason so many people are unhealthy and I'm starting to believe there's no such thing as insomnia--just trying to sleep on a schedule that your body doesn't agree with. You should be able to sleep when you're sleepy and eat when you're hungry. Sleepiness and hunger--that's your body talking to you. But we eat and sleep only at certain scheduled times. We've trapped ourselves.

A line from a book I read once describes how I feel:

"What is time but others' expectations of us?"

And calendars! Again IMO, our calendar runs against nature. These 30ish day months were created by humans for financial reasons. It's from "calends" which is scheduled taxation. It's a business calendar.

But we're stuck--we get money, we pay money by the calendar and sleep and eat by the clock.

Vera, I really believe life would be so much better if we could get rid of money and just share talents and gifts as you suggested.

Vera - there are Alaskan indian villages that still have a subsistence lifestyle and try to live without money as much as they can. They spend their summers fishing, growing vegetables, and picking wild fruits. Gathering is their "job". In the fall and winter they hunt. They use what food, fur, and skins they need for their family, and they barter or trade their excess for other things that they need. They are extremely conscious about the environment and don't waste anything. Unfortunately, a lot of people consider getting back to the basics of life to be the same thing as moving away from progress. Some of the villages that have become more reliant on technology and company wares are now paying $11 for a gallon of milk.

Boopell, your comments remind me of when I visited my brother in the hospital after he was diagnosed with leukemia and going through his first round of chemotherapy. He was sedated, but sat up in bed, and with his elbows resting on his knees and his hands holding his head up, he said "I wish I could figure out what I am supposed to learn from this. The only thing I can think of, is that I need to give God more control over my life." He went on to say that for so long he had been living from appointment to appointment, waking up in the morning and knowing for every hour where he would be, who he would talk to, and what they would discuss. His schedule was planned from the hour he awoke to the time he went to bed. There was really very little opportunity for God to do anything for him. If he drove down a county road every day on auto pilot, he didn't notice if there was a new wildflower blooming where there had never been flowers. It is that kind of gift that we tend to miss because we're so focused on ourselves and our schedule, we just don't even see it.

When I don't have a set schedule - particularly for work - I actually get more done and feel less stressed. I think that's because I have a sense of urgency to do as much as I can without other people's schedules controlling mine. If someone I want to talk to isn't available, I find someone else or move on to the next task. I think I'm pretty lucky. That wouldn't work for most people.

After living these 55 years,I'm beginning to see why my maternal grandparents lived such long and healthy lives.They had a small family dairy and vegetable farm,lived pretty much off of what fresh produce they grew,and as my mother remembers, now that she's in her later years,lived according to nature's laws. I remember her telling me how her father would plant according to the cycles of the moon,something about how he knew which plants to seed into the ground for maximum harvest.They also had 12 children(talk about planting seeds!)It's funny,but I see glimmers of both my grandparents and my parents in the choices I've made in life. I am doing more outside in terms of hobbies. I find nature very grounding these days.(no pun intended)

Being an avid Star Trek fan, this is a concept that was core to life then --- no need for money because everyone cooperated together. No famine, no poverty --- it was all taken care of by cooperation. I guess science fiction writers are just like us, huh?

I understand completely what Boo and Mellie were saying. I've been coming to terms with some of that myself. My life was a rollercoaster of demands that I had to keep up with continually. Three years ago my adrenals crashed so hard I couldn't get out of bed for months! So what happened to the appts? Other people had to take care of them for themselves. Huh, that took pressure off and now I at least had the strength to get up and do light things around the house. I didn't begin to fill in the appt book, I just took care of the real things that needed my attention. Hmmm... more pressure off and now I'm well enough to do a little longer and heavier work around here. I began to listen to my instincts and try to teach myself how to take care of myself and meet my needs first. What happened? I'm able to help meet others' needs better because I've met my own and I'm stronger. I've learned a better (still ongoing) understanding of what's best for me and what's not. And, I'm strong enough to get back to crosstraining and living a real life. I, too, asked what it was God wanted me to learn during this time. I feel my answer was to learn to respect myself as one of His cherished creations, to learn to live a reasonable life of service to others while taking a deep breath of caring for myself when needed, and to live a life that has beauty, joy, and maybe even a little peace once in awhile! My goal at 48 yo is to go into my 50s a lot stronger, smarter, and more balanced than I've ever been!

Thank you, Kirk! I'll take a look. I haven't read it but I've read tons of other stuff on the subject. This is honestly becoming a HUGE malady in today's world and it's becoming more and more common. Our stress levels are off the charts and it's a lot more dangerous than people know. My naturopath told me that I was in very serious condition at a Level 3 and that my cortisol was baselining at every time tested. Level 4 patients die.

Looking at how we manage our lives is essential and I never got it. I just ignored the symptoms and pushed through anyway. This has been a very enlightening thread in terms of folks recognizing that some ways of life have got to change. I'd love to hear more!

I've always had a problem with the 3 meals a day idea. We're grazers--my mom was, too. We just eat a little whenever we feel hungry. All the kids do it, too. Lately, I've been reading about it. It apparently helps keep your blood sugar balanced because it doesn't get a chance to dip.

I realize grazing probably wouldn't be practical for everyone depending on what they have to do during the day, but it works for us and I believe it's what we're supposed to do if we're paying attention to what our bodies need.