Westminster Dog Show....any animal lovers?

raspberrywolf

I know there are a lot of dog lovers/animal lovers on this board and I was wondering if any of you watch this dog show of show??!! Just wondering...and if so and you have a dog how about giving your pet a 'shout out' here because I think it would be interesting as well who has what kind be it mixed or pure and their names...just a thought :-)

Hi raspberrywolf!

We used to have a Malamute and were big with the working breeds. These days, we have a Belgian Shepard of the Malinois (pronounced mal-an-wah)variety, Border Collie mix named Otter. Sort of a Borgian Collanois if you insist on accuracy. Most just say he looks like a Coyote with a black face. He has just finished up clicker training and starts agility training in two weeks. He is a rocket in a straight line, corners like he is on Velcro. He has a wonderful temperament, loves kids, and is especially fond of smaller breeds and puppies. We watched the Westminster along with Otter who was paying rapt attention. He loves Animal Planet. There were three Belgians entered in the herding group, a Tevuren, a Groenendaal, and a Malinois. As usual, and as we expected, the fix was in and the German Shepard won. Should have been the Tevuren.

Reid

Hi all had to chime in here....currently owned by a Golden Retriever named Raymond and a Papillion, named Hamilton...used to have a boxer and had Great Danes for a long time. Speaking of the dog show.....Forget the goofy haircut did you see that Standard Poodle? ....Magnificent, that will be my next dog ( without the goofy haircut!)

Agreed. You have to feel sorry for poodles, a pretty decent dog that gets a bad rap due to being condemned to a life of never-ending bad hair days by their owners. Seriously, does anyone know how these bad clip jobs became the standard of beauty for these noble, yet persecuted pooches. confused

Hey They all count as long as you love them :-)

I love the Belgium breeds but I hate that everybody compares them with German Shepherds. Bessiboo sounds like your Sadie should meet my sister's Rocco LOL...lots of 'tude'!! My baby isn't doing so good these days..his name is "Wolfie" and is a black lab mix that I rescued...I think he has torn an accruciate(sp??) ligament in his front right leg. He is on medicine and plenty of bed rest right now but it is soooooooo hard when his soulful lil eyes bring me a toy because he wants to play. One of the dogs that was there "Australian Cattle Dog" Lincoln is from just down the street from where my sis lives...they have produced so seriously good breeds...I know they were in a couple of movies and one use to be on "Doc" with Billy Ray Cyrus. Anyways, can never hear enough about others beloved pets...even if you are loving them from a distance (neighbors/relatives) at least they are loved :-)

I know I posted this on another thread but go to Youtube and put in "The Amazing Skidboot" - a great news piece about an autralian cattle dog.

My baby is at my feet at the other end of the couch - Mia Hamm is an 8 yr old Rottweiler/Shepard mix that we found a a shelter in 2001 (they thought she was about a year old then) who came over and put her head in my then 10 year old daughter's lap. That was it - it was all over that fast...first dog she saw and no puppies interested her after that.

She is the sweetest, most loving animal and PROTECTIVE. Geez, i didn't know that chipmunks were such a security threat until she moved in.

My BIGGEST regret is that she doesn't like our two cats that predate her by three years. The cats stay downstairs and the dog upstairs where we do most of our living. i can't get her to understand they are not chew toys. We had a cockateil named Kiwi who terrorized the dog! He would run across the floor and bite mia's toes.

She has a boyfriend next door named Angus -a chocolate lab (with a bit of something else like Chesapeake Bay retriever or ridgeback - has a wiry strip of hair straight down the back)

Annie I am laughing so hard about the comment of not knowing chipmunks were such a security threat...my dog has a nemesis squirrel that just sits on the fence and looks at him through the window squeaking "Dog, I KNOW you can't get me right now...I laugh at you Ha! Ha!!"

It's so funny that you say your beloved Mia's boyfriend Angus is a lab mix...my "Wolfie"'s girlfriend/best bud in the world is a british rotti named "Katie"...in fact they were playing 'catch catch' when he severly injured himself. Please keep him in your prayers as I must take him back today to the Vet and the news may not be what I want to hear.

Raswolf.....Torn Cruciate Ligament would be a rear leg problem its the ligament that holds the knee in place, front legs no knee, I would get a 2nd opinion if thats what your vet told you.. Reid... the standard poodle was bred to be a water retrieving dog. The silly haircut was actually designed to protect the dog from the cold waters while working..the chest and shoulder area hair protected the vital organs and the puffs over the hips and"ankles" protected those joints from the cold.

animal lover?..are u kiddin' me?..hell yes!!! i've posted many times here about this..i 'currently" have a female tortiose shell named mandy,a mixed male (sheperd/yellow lab) who somebody dumped down the road named rascal,he was about 1 year old when we found him,now 9 years old..he was abused and has really been alot of work..but a real sweetie as a family dog..then we got a jack russel named riley..not that hyper,really smart,and a true sweetheart of a dog..he's 4 now..the dogs are the greatest joy to see together,pals for life!! would'nt trade it for anything!! lol,chris

Have had several working breed dogs (figures, Reid) over the last 3 decades, none of which weighed under 150 lbs. Needed big dogs to keep the coyotes (and occaisional bear) at bay in the mountains. One Great Pyrenees, two English Mastiffs and two Shepard/Lab/Dobie mixes (never more than 2 at one time). Don't currently have a dog, though.

now, hollies, that is one helluva thoughtful sacrifice. you have my admiration.

Raswolf - oh, i hope the baby is OK...make sure you post.

My christmas gift to Mia was a squeaky chipmunk that lasted all of 5 nano seconds. She thinks squirrels are terrorists too and they taunt her as well while they raid my birdfeeders.

She kept me up a couple of weeks ago from 2:30 a.m. til God knows when because the opossum was also visiting on the deck. She slides into the glass doors as if they will magically part for her. I'm waiting for a bear to climb up and freak her out for real. laugh

The shelter we got her from told us that they were fairly positive that drug dealers were breeding rotties and shepards as guard dogs and Mia was too nice and they threw her out.

She does not like men in black clothes (like my husband who wears a black overcoat every night...she barks at him..not an endearing quality!)

Antonio Banderas...Shephard mix of what we have no clue...My daughter talked me into a trip to our local humane society for her 16th birthday last year...I wasn't going to go in just let my two daughters explore the facility.

After sitting in the car for 10 minutes and dwelling on what might be inside I could stand it no longer and in I went....I knew they had a Great Dane and I wanted a closer look at him..He was a really aggressive one too. Between him and a Pointer mix was this really sweet boy almost coward down in the corner of his kennel...He was obviously not impressed with the vocal contest the Dane and Pointer were having so I decided to visit with him and give him a little reprieve from all the noise...Needless to say it turned into a permanent reprieve.

We think he may be a Belguim Shephard mix as he is black with white tips on his chest and tail and a few of his paws...he doesn't have the low German Shephard gait...he is tall and statuesque...he is dark and handsome thus the name...he is my cuddle puppy and goes everywhere with me...Boy did I get sucked in...Ha!

OH Hollies, I can't even begin to imagine being seperated for any length of time from my "Wolfie" and so in my eyes you have the wisdom of Solomon to do this for your children!! Thank you to Baby Sister who gave me hope...you were, of course, right and when all was said and done I came home with my bested friend and had a huge sigh of relief. He has a bad sprain between the elbow and the shoulder as well as arthritis has set in. He will now be on medicine for some time to come and I will be also giving him glucosamine. He is to be basically totally 'on rest' for 1 month only going out to do his business. Hey I will take this..we will get through this together and I will still have my boy around for some time to come :-)I came home and crashed until now because I can't remember the last time I slept. Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and prayers as I know they made the difference. Three cheers for our 'best friends' who understand and love us when the rest of the world is always at ready to *poop* on us!