New Big Star CD

rockerreds

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard "September Gurls" for the first time, 3 straight times (Thanks Kathy) and snippets from their other songs. I like them better than Artful Dodger. The drummer stands out as excellent. Did he go on to play with other known bands? "September Gurls" is a nice little diddy, but not some classic pop tune that others have said. I'd take "Go All The Way" over it 9 times out of 10. So what's all the hype about?

Tony,

If you'd like to hear some good percussion work, go to this site http://www.adodger.ho8.com/ and register/login. Skip through the "Live In 1976" concert until you get to the 5th or 6th song. Listen to the cover of "The Kids Are Alright" - Steve Brigida can pull-off a pretty good Keith Moon. Plus, catch the bass pedal work on the original version of "Scream" (Live 1976). On the "Honor Among Thieves" album's track "Keep Me Happy", catch the Bass Pedal tripletts using a SINGLE bass pedal - not too many drummers can pull that off! I wish Scott would have put up Steve's warm-up from the 1991 Reunion Show - Brigida, outside of the constraints of the Dodger tunes, is amazing.

The big problem I have with most of the music I hear these days is lame rhythm/percussion sections. Even the last two U2 albums lacked any of the inspiration of the first few releases.

For a far more coherent and "finished" version try The Bangles version.

of the cover versions (i.e. Searchers, Bangles, Squire) I've heard, The Bangles really do a POOR job of it, zapping most of its spontaniety along w/ getting a good amount of the lyrics wrong... and it's got that bad 1986 production, too

i echo lews words re: big star. never understood all the praise for a band who's sound was so "sparse". the berries sound like phil spector comparatively. pierson, dont be so quick to right off springfield...saw him in concert a few weeks ago and he is one hell of a guitarist...not to mention a all the hit songs he sang, the man has had alot of commercial success.