An Inconvenient Truth (Al Gore)

LC

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, that wouldn't include Jeb Bush, would it? (I read that Mitt Romney, in a classic case of jumping the gun a bit, mentioned Jeb as a possible running mate in the 2008 election....)

Anyway, thank you, James.

Hey, don't knock Jeb too much, there but for the gubinatorial campaign fraud of Lawton Chiles and crew would have gone the prez instead of brother Dubya. laugh

In other words:

Jeb was and is the smarter Bush. The plan was for Jeb to win the Florida governership and springboard to the presidency but a funny thing happened... Lawton Chiles people somehow convinced the senior citizens of south Flordia that if Jeb got elected governor he'd take their social security... and the idiots believed that a governor of a state could take federal money from them... and so Jeb got narrowly defeated. Meanwhile George W. pulled a surprise victory in Texas and was suddenly the leader of the Bush family in politics.

Make no mistake, had Al Gore gotten elected in '00 then Jeb would have been the Bush running in '04...

But, as it happened, now Jeb has that gigantic shadow his brother casts, and a lot of people (whether it's fair or not, and we know it's not) will lump him in with brother and judge him based on W's record....

Jeb might make it in as a VP candidate. As much as Dick Cheney is hated and as much as Al Gore was vilified, it's primarily the lead on the ticket that makes the difference.

In fact I've often said that Clinton and Bush specifically chose Gore and Cheney to be VP because who in their right mind would assasinate Clinton or Bush to get Gore or Cheney to become prez? haha

• 5 weeks later...

I'd still classify Al Gore as "doubtful" for a 2008 presidential run, but this news item keeps the hope alive, at least a little:

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070429/NEWS02/704290313

Of course, realistically, why would he subject himself to that thankless job when he's probably getting more satisfaction out of his personal campaign for the environment? I hope I'm wrong, because otherwise, we'll be looking at a possible President Giuliani. Ugh. I'd support Hillary or Barack over him, after his recent embarrassment, when he started using terror as his campaign slogan. I find it sickening that he'd use 9/11 as his bait for votes. Here's a NY Times report on it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/26/us/politics/26giuliani.html

Not only is it sickening, but it's hugely ironic: Giuliani, as mayor of NY during 9/11, was clearly unprepared for such an attack, even though the WTC had had a terrorist bombing incident a few years earlier. So if anything, he should avoid the issue. IMHO, Rudy is really reaching....

Ironically, again, he didn't need to resort to terrorism campaigning --- he already had a lot of people before stooping to that level.... I guess he figured, "If it worked for GWB in '04, that's good enough for me..."

When I was in the airport bookstore just the other day I saw this aptly titled tome:

"JEB: America's Next Bush"

I have also noted that John Kerry & his spouse and chief financier, Theresa Heinz Kerry are taking a "page" from the Al Gore playbook and have authored their own book on Global Warming and the dangers it brings.

I think Kerry might be a perfect presidential candidate this time around. I mean think about it, how better to stave off global "warming" than by the "chilly" reception he'd be given at the polling places? laugh

• 3 weeks later...

"Man's a party animal. if he's doing ok, nothing else matters. That's not going to change." -Tom Sizemore, Red Planet 2000. No one will do anything about something that doesn't directly affect them. if/when the water rises, people will just move to higher ground. such is the limited focus of mankind.

Well, that's one way to look at things.... And I suppose it's the kind of thought process that makes Al Gore's efforts so appealing to me. Considering environmental issues --- whether you believe there's a crisis or not --- can lead to all kinds of worthy behavior, things like being more energy efficient, cutting down on waste, planting trees, and finding alternatives to that great American drug, oil.

i agree, it's just that developing nations won't sign up. i've spent considerable time in villages in Thailand and Laos. they do whatever they need to get done, regardless of the impact. frequently i see villagers lighting fires with styrofoam or rubber tire innertubes, something that no one in the US would do. i can't say that i blame them either. its how how things are done there.

• 1 month later...

Tony,

I was wrong -- this thread was only 16 pages, not 18. But you know what? They're words well-spent. I mean, Al Gore!

I had to rescue this thread from the depths of EC.com's archives, where it had been banished, overlooked and forgotten, possibly for eternity, even in light of Gore's new book, his Live Earth event, his nebulous comments about the 2008 race, and, of course, his son's arrest --- not to mention talk that he may win a Nobel Peace prize.... What's not to love about the guy?

--LC

PS: Raspy, good point on that "what might have been" post a while back.... Gore/Graham....

If we would just follow "One-Trick-Pony Gore's" gospel, it would actually have a positive effect on the other major problems in the world, as long as it doesn't create a bigger more wasteful government beaurocracy. But if Al was in charge, sadly, it would...

Since Democrats don't trust private business to do the sub-contracting of the changes, we would have to create another monster Department Of Global Climate Management...Union Govt. employees, no oversight, automatic raises, few or no audits...you know...like Bush's Dept. Of Homeland Security. Indifferent

LC: I had psychic moment a few months before that election where I was online, running diff. scenarios on an electoral college map game that one news service had up online. It seemed like

the the map of Florida was screaming at me!!

I later understood why.

Any REASONABLE campaign need a consultant??

If you can't be king -- be king maker!! I say!!

When I was little and people wanted to talk politics, my dad would direct them to me and say

"He knows more about it".

• 2 months later...

James, Tony, Ras-Wine.... Didn't you love seeing Al Gore get his latest honor? Now he has an Emmy to go with the Oscar his movie won. And there's still the possibility that he'll get a Nobel Peace Prize. Not bad at all....

But never mind the Hollywood stuff.... After watching the Democratic debate last night, I STILL think there's nobody more qualified to "fight the good fight" than Al Gore. Yet it looks like I was right along --- he's just not interested in subjecting himself to another degrading (because of Republican smear-masters) presidential run. I really don't blame him, but I just can't get excited about any other candidates.

Well, Gore is making a bigger impact with his environmental work, which is clearly a labor of love. For that, we should be thankful, as I know you boys are.... :-)

It doesn't matter how scary the movie is. People will think of it for a day or two and still do whatever they want. The human race has gotten used to the convenience of "progress" in the modern world.

And it's not just our country. China's a HUGE polluter. And they don't seem to be worrying. Nobody in our government mentions that while they allow our companies to import toys, baby bibs and everything vinyl full of lead-based paint from China.

frown --Darlene

LC, I think the Democrats are being somewhat stupid actually because I think Al Gore is the guy that could win it for them. I dont blame him for not being interested and why should he be when hes doing all this other interesting stuff. Perhaps Hillary "the butt" CLinton will win but we should all be saddened by that as Americans because that means 8 more years of division and devisiveness. She is such a polarizing figure that, like Bush, it will not be good for the country and there will be great difficulty getting things accomplished. Time to move to Canada. The Clintons just dont go away, sad that their megalomania has to play out on the national stage. They had their day in the sun, sequels and re-runs usually not as good as the first time around. Will Bill wear Monica Lewinskys dress in his role as first lady? Only time will tell. Bill Richardson and John Edwards better democrats than Hillary.