An Inconvenient Truth (Al Gore)

LC

The same writer:

"[T]he question -- as it always should be in politics -- is, is he doing all that he can [re: global warming], and the answer appears to be yes. As Gore's electric bill... shows, he and Tipper voluntarily pay the higher cost for something called Green Power Switch, which uses more expensive energy from renewable sources like wind and solar power. He purchases offsets for carbon fuel use. Yes, he uses more electricity than you or me, but the house of this former Vice President and his wife has offices and staffers and security needs that we don't have either. His car today is an SUV, but it's also a hybrid."

Here's the link to the whole column:

http://www.attytood.com/2007/02/breaking_news_al_gore_uses_ele_1.html

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LC, I have not had the opportunity to watch the DVD, but I have to say I'm impressed with your knowledge on this subject. Although it may not be a huge step, I've changed all the bulbs in our house to the sprials....a bit more expensive initially....but a money and energy saver in the long run!!

As for candidates for our next president (and yes, I like Al Gore and wish he would run).....that's a tough one. Whoever steps in is going to have a mess to clean up. I don't know that any of the candidates are "ready" for the job. It's pretty darned scary!! I'll tell you who I will NOT vote for. Former Arkansas governor Mike Hucakbee......10 years of him has put Arkansas on its ear.

My thought is that be we Republican, Democrat, Independent....the bottom line is that we all want the same things......a safe clean world to raise our children in, world peace, and peace of mind!!

Ronda

Ronda, thanks. I agree that the next president has a big mess to clean up. Who's best-suited to clean up the mess? The best we can do is consider the experience of the candidates -- and I just think Gore has it all over every other candidate who's out there (IMHO).

If this were, say, 1933 and we had FDR running, okay, I'd go with him. (Did you know FDR was elected president four times? Back then, the two-term limit was just an unspoken rule.)

But today, the field of candidates is a bit on the light side (and I mean quality, not quantity). And this isn't a good time for on-the-job "training," is it?

Re: your line about making the world a clean and safe place.... I feel the same way. I definitely got more interested in environmental issues after having kids (my daughters are 7 and 4). Their generation better be a resilient, resourceful one! They're gonna have to be....

I'm not running for office, but I do have a confession to make. Back in the 80's, I went to work on Halloween in nothing but a loin cloth (that my wife made for me). Picture ended up in the local newspaper. Does that make me for or against Al? laugh Kirk.

Hey Kirk... when will the photo be posted on the board???? laugh:rolleyes:

LC... I see the Australian Govt is moving towards banning/outlawing the Incandescent light bulb in their country and getting everyone to use the energy saver type bulbs. Aussietime may be able to comment further on this move. A spokeperson for our Govt has said it will be something that they will look into for New Zealand in the future also.

Muzza cool

Raspa, that link isn't working. Is it an rip on Al Gore? Or something about loin cloths?

Muzza, that ban is interesting.... Let me know how it turns out. (You might end up with people smuggling old-style light bulbs into the country. Let's see, where could you hide light bulbs when you're passing through customs?)

I wonder if anyone has considered the proud turnip as an energy source? :-)

A little balance my friends. A little balance. http://www.anncoulter.com/cgi-local/welcome.cgi

Oh. Ann Coulter. Yeah, she's a bit of a wack job, so I don't know how much "balance" she adds. She goes way over the edge. Her first sentence was all I needed to read:

"Even right-wingers who know that 'global warming' is a crock do not seem to grasp what the tree-huggers are demanding. Liberals want mass starvation and human devastation."

Uh, yeah. That's the goal of liberals: human devastation. Sheesh....

If you read on, you see that she compares liberals with Hitler; says "Global warming is the left's pagan rage against mankind"; and claims that the campaign to fight global warming "is nothing but hatred of humanity."

She's out of control. It's disturbing that so many people buy her books that she can keep on blathering away in print and on TV. (Is it "wack job" or "whack job"?)

Oh---and she actually does touch on loin cloths! Her last paragraph:

"It seems not to have occurred to the jet set [liberals] that when California is as poor as Mexico, they might have trouble finding a maid. Without trucking, packaging, manufacturing, shipping and refrigeration in their Bel-Air fantasy world, they'll be chasing the rear-end of an animal every time their stomachs growl and killing small animals for pelts to keep their genitals warm." )

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirk:

If the demand is as high as Gord's turnip, we'll see...Kirk.

PHOTO!!! PHOTO!!! laugheekLuvLove
Kathy,

So if Kirk e-mails you the photo in question, you'll post it? C'mon, Kirk --- dig that pic up and get it to Kathy!

I'm not running for office, but I do have a confession to make. Back in the 80's, I went to work on Halloween in nothing but a loin cloth (that my wife made for me). Picture ended up in the local newspaper. Does that make me for or against Al? laugh Kirk.

PS: Kirk, given the context of the thread, I think the loin cloth makes you pro-Al Gore.

PPS: If you send the image to Kathy, maybe we can have one of those fun caption contests... ?

LC, I'm still listening to Gore's excuses for 20 times the energy use, and the math doesn't add up...

20 rooms and 8 baths should = about 5 times the use of a normal house.

Use of solar panels should eliminate some recorded usage on energy bill, let's give him down 4 times the use of normal.

Replacing light bulbs to efficient florescent spiral, like he claims, should bring it down to about 3 times normal...

Weather-proofing the old house, which he can afford (Double-pane windows, extra insulation, ect...) should offset the cost of the security system.

Using the home as an office gives Al a break, let's give him back up to 5 times the normal.

But 20 times the normal household? Tipper must be a decor-light diva...

Not to mention all the gas-guzzling limos and private jets he still uses...Al just isn't practicing what he preaches, just because he pays extra for carbon credits...

The only thing that will change my vote is if Al and Tipper convert their seldom-used treadmills to some kind of energy producing and storing machines to light their mansions. Then start using them to get fit for a presidential run.

That way, everybody wins!

Tony C,

You're picturing a house like yours and mine, just bigger. But we're talking two offices with staff, we're talking guest house, we're talking security devices. Think about it: This is a sizable office/residence/guest-house owned by the guy who was our VP for 8 years -- a guy who has spent untold sums of his own money to travel around and make people aware of global warming in his post-VP years.

And like I said on p. 8, Gore's energy usage is a wash, because he's paying extra money to power his house from renewable sources.

I'm okay with all of it. Gore has been fighting a worthy cause ever since he got bumped from the White House, and I won't begrudge him --- or get suspicious about --- his power bill. It should be a non-issue!

It's not like he's been caught joy-riding on long trips in a Hummer, or purposely leaving his TV on all night, or cranking his heat up to 72. (Horrors!) I mean, who knows exactly how the dollar amounts of his bill break down? Who cares?

I leave classical music playing on a radio --- plugged into an electrical outlet! --- all night long in my daughters' room. I suppose I'm being wasteful, and you can call me on it, but my daughters find it soothing to go to sleep that way. Who knows what the Gores are doing? Again, who cares? Appreciate his message and his tireless efforts in spreading it.

This whole thing is ridiculous with a capital R. It reminds me so much of the "invented the Internet" campaign that was intended to trash Gore. This is Part 2. Don't waste your time trying nitpick this thing. Instead, read Gore's response, and try to understand it rather than write it off as an "excuse":

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/02/26/gore-responds-to-drudge/

A CNET reader wrote:

"My 1-bathroom house uses $250 a month. $250 x 8 = $2000. So he is doing better than me. And probably better than most households on a 'per-bathroom' or even 'per-square-foot' basis. Give Al a break."

Bravo!

PS: And another thing: So what if Gore spends $14K a year to power his house/headquarters? Dick Cheney's annual electric bill at the 33-room VP mansion is $186,000:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/32695_vp26.shtml

The big difference is, Gore pays his own bills. We pay Cheney's.

Here's a great piece on the "controversy" by Dave Johnson and Dave Boyce:

"There's a tragic but true old expression that a lie can make it half-way around the world before the truth can even get its pants on. Sadly, this has been proven true again this week with the smear attack on Vice President Al Gore and his energy consumption.

"Today, we noticed that the lie has made it to Germany.

"How did this happen and, more to the point, why does it continue to happen?

"As Media Matters continues to speak out about every single day, the corporate media in America absolutely fails to serve the interest of the public. How could they spread this lie?

"How does a small, unknown organization with a $100,000 budget issue a press release containing a smear on a respected former Vice President of the United States and have their lie echoed around the world within hours? Pathetic.

"(Just look at the [Tennessee Center for Policy Research's] IRS form! No officers, directors or trustees? Very little information? A P.O. box? Is it normal for an organization to spend that high a percentage of their funds on "meals?") One reporter asking one question about this group, or about the facts behind Gore's energy use, and the story is over. But they didn't...."

(Here's the whole piece:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dave-johnson-and-james-boyce/the-al-gore-lie-is-halfwa_b_42393.html )

Ooops, I didn't mean to push Caveman Kirk back a page..... Tony just had to get me going on that Smear-Gore campaign....

But yeah, Kirk is the man. If you're just coming in now, the photo is on p. 10. Check it out.... And give us some captions!

(Kathy, I'd rank yours over mine.... I love those Geico caveman TV ads!)