An Inconvenient Truth (Al Gore)

LC

Until I see it, can someone explain the record cold temps we are having in the West right now and the record hot temps they had in the late 1920s and early '30s?

Were there SUVs in the 1930s?

Tony,

Actually, Gore does tackle that in his documentary. He shows a chart that plots the temperature of the planet every year going back hundreds of years, and he points out that it hasn't been a matter of the earth's temperature rising every single year in every single region around the world (as if God had turned up the thermostat). Instead, there have been ups and downs throughout history and in different regions.

But the net effect, if you step back and look at point A in, say, 1800, and point B in 2005, is that the temperature has been on the rise overall. It's like a jagged, spike-y, line, but one that overall has been headed upward. And the biggest upward trend has been over the past 50 years or so.

Does that make sense? It's a lot easier to explain with a graph than in a couple paragraphs here on the board, but I tried.... Hope that helps a little...

PS: Re: SUVs.... Sure.... They go way back! Don't you remember the Model T Explorer? The Pierce-Arrow Blazer? The Duryea Cherokee? :-)

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James, you watched it? I'm beaming with pride and appreciation! Not bad, eh? Gore didn't make all that stuff up! You've gotta admit, the man is sharp and convincing. (Too bad he kept that such a secret during the 2000 campaign....)

Tony, be patient. You'll be melting into a pool of flesh, blood, and bones soon enough! :-)

Now, have you rented An Inconvenient Truth yet? If not, just do it... if not for yourself, then for Tony Jr. baby You don't want him growing up in an outdoor sauna bath, do you?

PS: Okay, okay.... I know what you mean about the cold. A new Ice Age just settled into New England.... Of course, the temperatures here have wildly, wildly extreme this winter. Two weeks ago, we had temps in the 50s. Tonight, it feels like we're headed into the -50s.... I like steady and gradual....

LC, it was good in that again it has motivated me to understand the issue better. I appreciate you recommending it.

But I can't judge it until I educate myself a bit better on the issue. The movie depicted Gore as this tenacious, lone wolf super-hero guy who has taken on the lonely, impossible job of saving the world by himself. Maybe the depiction is right, I don't know at this point. I've never really trusted Gore but the film was compelling and again has moved me. I'll stay open minded about him and the issue.

I still think the rap on him that he's boring is not completely correct....as he was one of the funniest hosts Saturday Night Live has ever had...he really was brilliant on that show. Gulliani was great too (the cab skit!).

James, I remember Gore's SNL hosting job as being hilarious too. One memorable moment was his bit in a hot tub with Joe Lieberman. He really is a witty guy. As for Gore being a lone-wolf hero on the global warming issue, I would say this: He's not, but he's certainly the most visible messenger --- the one who's most capable of making people (even Republicans) more aware.

I would love to have seen Gore throw his hat into the ring for the 2008 presidential election. But with Hillary hot for the Oval Office (she liked living in White House!), I can't see Gore making a play. This was his last chance. Sad, in my view. But---I'm certain he'll still be in the public eye doing a lot of good re: the environment.

Hillary just wants to go back to the White House so she can have her own affair with a female intern.

Hillary cant hold a candle to Gore. Surprised more people dont see her calculating phoniness. She would pretend she was an overbearing, overweight, uptight, yuppified, wind bag if she thought she had a chance to win playing that role. Wait a Second!???!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........

Ras-Wine,

I wasn't super-excited when Hillary announced she'd run for Prez, more because I was hoping Gore would run. And there's no way he'll run against a Clinton. So it looks like fate didn't have a "President Gore" in its cards, for better or for worse. Oh well. Like I said, he's probably doing a lot more good just making people aware (whether they like him or not) of environmental issues.

Meanwhile, over in California, there's a proposed bill that would ban -- by the year 2012 -- the standard light bulb that's been in use for 125 years! Wow! Check it out:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/energy_california_lightbulbs_dc

Imagine the black-market trade if that ever happens.... People will be smuggling light bulbs into The Golden State, or buying them on eBay. The story notes that "compact fluorescent lightbulbs (CFLs) use about 25 percent of the energy of conventional lightbulbs." We have a few of them, and frankly, I find 'em a little hard to get used to. They just don't throw off the same light that I'm accustomed to. But hey, they're the wave of the future....

Last week we had a bit of a furor over the movie, in Tacoma, just a few miles away. Some of the "religious right" protested the showing of the movie at local schools.....on the grounds that this climate change has nothing to do with anything that we did as human beings.....but rather, this is part of the book of Revelations and the start of the end of the world.

Needless to say, some kind of compromise was worked out, and the two groups are not at odds with each other...

Yeah right, fits in with the notion of compassionate and loving God who just happens to want to roast us for our sins! I am sure there are members of the lunatic fringe, on the other side, who also believe Al Gore is the Christ-returned and will lead us out of our self destruction to the rapture. Well, maybe at least to an Oscar.

Real quick, LC. You've been a good influence re: this thread. I am trying to learn more about the issue...have a ways to go. But I'm challenging myself everytime I use energy whose source is the burning of fossil fuels, ie: whether I really need it or if I need it in the quantities I normally utilize. So good job!

P.S. Did you know that cow farts arrgh .....that cow farts contribute to the ozone layer and thus global warming!!??

Exactly James. This isnt about automobiles or coal plants, it's all these cows farting. Gore didnt capture the importance of this issue in his film somehow. It's time to round up all the Cows and harness that energy for good use, heat some homes in the cold Winter months. How about a new campaign?, instead of GOT MILK, how about GOT FARTS? It can be all about solutions to our Global Warming problem.

Gord, good job!

Paulie, thanks for that note on Gore. I popped in here before even going to Yahoo, so I hadn't seen it yet. Hope he gets it --- although just getting nominated is HUGE. (Maybe GW will get a Nobel War Prize?)

Tony, actually, record cold temps don't mean there's no global warming going on.... It's just part of the extremes that happen because of global warming. I wanna look up something I read in the Boston Globe yesterday.

By the way, Bush and his people... unreal. His cryptic announcement on his "strategy" is -- in my opinion -- a classic stall tactic. As in:

"Well, geez, yeah, we're starting to see that people are concerned about it, but don't worry; we're on the case, and we've already done a lot, but we've got some even bigger plans, which we can't talk about yet, but we will reveal those plans very, very soon, maybe before another ice cap melts into the ocean.... Besides, we in the U.S. aren't really causing global warming; it's everybody else...."

(And then privately, behind closed White House doors: "You think they bought it? Hope so. Now let's hurry up and get some planning in the works. Damn that Al Gore anyway! I thought we dusted him after we finagled the 2000 election....")

• 2 weeks later...

Hey---a global-warming-awareness concert held simultaneously on seven continents... and promoted by Al Gore! It will be July 7, site to be determined. Performers to include Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bon Jovi, Sheryl Crow, Foo Fighters, Lenny Kravitz, John Mayer, Duran Duran, and possibly Sting/The Police. (No truth to the rumor that Raspberries will be appearing.) smile

From a Washington Post story: "Using popular music to bring attention to his pet issue of global climate change, the former vice president is planning a single-day series of concerts modeled after Live 8."

Good move by my favorite non-presidential candidate! Man, Al is everywhere these days, and I'm lovin' it. If you haven't read that Rolling Stone "Run, Al, Run" article that I linked it in another thread, check it out:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/13248532/why_gore_should_run__and_how_he_can_win/1

Global Freezing is a real problem. Soon the Bahamas will be challenging Iceland for the most igloos. Its a real problem and there are many respected scientists who have made some colorful charts and graphs to show that its real and that humans have caused this terrible blight on the environment. Eating loads of ice cream, taking an unusual interest in skiing, leaving the refridgerator door open; all these things have contributed to Global Freezing. I hope we come to our senses and stop these practices soon and reverse these horrible trends before there are iceburgs around Cancun.

Soon the Bahamas will be challenging Iceland for the most igloos?

Come on! I believe we all need to be globally responsible, but we are neither warmer or cooler in South Florida or the islands, high of 79 degrees. We will get a cold snap over the weekend,the low of 40 degrees. Zero hurricanes last year.

If you want people to invest in the idea of cleaning up our emissions for the good of the Planet, stick with Facts.