An Inconvenient Truth (Al Gore)

LC

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

So Al Gore wins a Nobel Peace Prize! Take that, George W --- and the Supreme Court judge who helped Bush win in 2000. While Gore has been making immeasurable contributions to people nationally and internationally for the past eight years, Mr. Bush has been making lots of people who voted for him really sorry they did so. The right man didn't get the job... but he didn't fade away and die, either.

It's too bad we'll never know what a Gore presidency would have been like. In fact, I'd rather have him in the role from 2008-2016 than 2000-2008. We need him now, more than ever. But there won't be a campaign, as much as so many of us want. Here's a great story about why Gore isn't likely to run:

Key passage is near the end, where the writer (from Time mag) talks about Gore's reasons for not running (and it's not a matter of money, or support, or organization, or even Hillary):

"He put himself in position to win the Nobel by committing to an issue bigger than himself - the fight to save the planet. If he runs for president now, he'll be hauling himself back up onto that dusty old pedestal, signaling that he is, after all, the most important thing in his world. Sure, he'd say he was doing it because he feels a moral obligation to intervene in a time of unparalleled crisis. But running for president is by definition an act of hubris, and Gore has spent the past couple of years defying his ego and sublimating himself to a larger goal. Running for president would mean returning to a role he'd already transcended. He'd turn into - again - just another politician, when a lot of people thought he might be something better than that.

"And he'd be risking a hard-won happiness. Gore is happier these days because he is living the kind of life he always wanted to lead. He's happier these days because he is free from the excruciating requirements of electoral politics, the glad-handing and the money-grubbing that drove him deeper into himself the more he was forced to reach out. And, finally, he's happier now because he has been vindicated. The Nobel is an acknowledgment that Gore was right about the greatest global threat we face (and that this is the year when most everyone else finally figured out he was right). Winning the Peace Prize may not place Gore among the global saints, the Nelson Mandelas of the world; but it does place him among the laureates who are beloved in some quarters and loathed in others - those highly charged Prizewinners like Jimmy Carter.

"That's not a bad place to be, but you won't find Gore gloating about it. This Prize, after all, is a recognition that Gore has done more than anyone else (excepting Mother Nature) to bring about a sea change in public opinion. An overwhelming majority of Americans - 90% of Democrats, 80% of independents, 60% of Republicans - now say they favor "immediate action" to confront the climate crisis. Gore helped make that happen, but he can't take too much satisfaction in it. As he told me last spring, "Time is running out, and we still haven't done anything."

Please don't compare Al to that America-hating, dictator-loving, enemy-trusting loser ex-president Jeeeeeimmy Carter.

Al's better than that! And he has a better fuel-guzzling private jet schedule too...

"I don't have time to deal with that crazy Islamic terrorist thing. I have to change all the damn 1500 lightbulbs on my estate over to florescent bulbs before Rush Limbaugh gets a copy of my electric bill!"

Carbon Credit Boy 2007

What a fawning slobberfest. Writer? More like cheerleader. In Britain a judge has ruled before Gore's documentary can be shown in any schoolroom the class must be made aware of about 10 specific lies in the film.http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2007/10/11/seriously-inconvenient-truth-producers-gore-s-film-asked-return-oscar

H-65...

Hmmm.... a Time magazine writer who has spent a lot of time following Gore around, vs. "NewsBusters," some blog site with a tag line that reads: "Exposing and Combating Liberal Media Bias."

Hmmm... which source would be more accurate? Tough one... but I'll go with Time .

The same type of people who got their jollies out of smearing Gore in the 2000 campaign are having a riot shooting holes in An Inconvenient Truth . Usually, there's an agenda. Gore and the producers didn't make up the data in the movie; they used valid scientific study. I just don't see how people can deny that the earth is experiencing a changing climate, and that the way people have lived the past 100 years has helped contribute.... But, to each is own. There are actually people out there who deny the Holocaust ever happened.

Here ya go LC....The story about Gore's "Documentary" is not an opinion piece [unlike the Time magazine piece...mmm Time,now there's a magazine where you won;t find water carriers for liberals.]It is factual...I hope that conservative rag 'The London Times' is a good enough source.My point is there are alarmist untruths in Gores film. http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/corporate_law/article2633838.ece

LC,

You probably know that I am not a big Al fan, but I have to commend him for bringing an awareness to the seriousness of this issue.

This past spring, I took classes on international relations. We had to write a research paper on a topic of choice. I chose global warming/climate change. After doing a lot of research on this topic; I discovered just how serious this is. We were required to use credible sources, some of my sources were the WSJ, NY Times, UN website and this one on Climate change .

You may already know about this website, but I wanted to share this with you and also how my outlook on global warming has changed.

Deborah

ps: I'll gladly take Al over HC anyday!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, a "Draft Gore for President" television ad:

Draft Gore

How 'bout that? It's a great thought, as my friend Tony would agree :P , but I would guess it's a bit futile. I think Mr. Gore has had his fill of Capitol Hill. But, as the Beach Boys once said, "Wouldn't it be nice...."? For now, he's too busy making a more top-level impact on bigger issues (not to mention collecting awards!), so... that's cool, too. But whoever is sworn in as president in January 2009 will be an inferior choice, in my humble opinion....

PS: Deborah, thanks for that link above. I've been nosing around on it... Good stuff! It's got some great info on Air Quaiity, Sea Rise Level, Ecosystems, Agriculture, and Human Health. (And no, it's not an Al Gore site --- it's a project of the Climate Institute in Washington, D.C.)

You guys have no idea how infuriating it is to be right - I predicted years ago that HRC was only using New York State to launch her own bid for the White House and I hate to be right about it. (along with a few other million people I'm sure)

I'm waiting to see to see who impresses me...it's tough to keep up with the political ongoings with my classwork but I will!!

Annie,

I'm still where I was about a year ago: I just cannot get excited about any White House candidate, in either party (or any of the parties, I should say). Speaking of which, the so-called Green Party, I was reading, is fully into a "Draft Gore" mode --- after helping Bush to win in 2000 by supporting Ralph Nader.

In Florida, Nader "sucked up" more than 97,000 votes, "many times the infinitesimal margin by which President Bush beat Gore there," according to the NY Daily News. The story is online, titled, "Ralph Nader voters crippled Gore in '00; now they love him." Check it out: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_repor...-2.html?ref=rss

Oh well, what's done is done, and Gore for one has picked himself up and gotten maybe to a better place. Fate is a funny thing, don't you think?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah instead of the people of NY being outraged that Hillary was using them for her own power lust and ambition, they bought it hook, line, and sinker. No Clinton sequels or re-runs please, the show was crappy the first time around except for the balanced budget which I respected. The people of NY should have told her to get on her horse and go back to Arkansas. Al Gore is a bit of a bumbler for a Nobel prize winner but I kinda like him. I dont think he could win the Nobel prize for Physics. I feel bad that "the powers that be" screwed him out of the Presidency. We should have realized right them, karmically speaking, how the Bush presidency would turn out. Gore's a little obsessed about the melting polar cap ice I think. Sure its a bad deal overall, but if it means 6 month long Summers in the Midwest, count me in. Its likely the Earth was intended to become very hot eventually and then very cold even without man pushing it along. Weve just speeded up things a little bit, or at least helped to catalyze the next phase of dramatic weather flucuations. I think Gore could beat Hillary and thats why I wish he'd jump in for the Democratic nomination. Id vote for Huckabee, Guiliani, Gore, or Edwards actually. Dennis Kocinich, for all his far left pinko ravings, comes closest to capturing the truth at the heart of many issues but hes not taken seriously in many quarters. Its easy for the powerful to marginalize him.

Bush won.

It's been 7 years and it's way past the time to (in the words of Don Henley) "Get Over It"..

Let's help Bush do some good in his last year and, at the same time, get behind some good politicians for 2008 that will move the United States forward.

Hey there James, my friend,

It's hard to get over a heartbreak, it's not so easy to do... especially when the "winner" of the 2000 race has put in such a (well-documented) poor performance as president.

It's funny... in 2000, when the Supreme Court's ruling gave GW the nod, I remember thinking how that decision (or non-decision, really) would change the fates. It truly has, for a lot of people, and in a largely negative way.

Sure, it's now time to move forward --- I agree with you on that assertion. My point is: Let's learn from the past, too. Don't elect a president just because he seems more folksy, and because you might rather have a beer at the corner pub with him than his opponent. Be a good judge of character AND qualifications.

If a candidate, in a debate, obviously ducks a question because he has no idea about an issue that he should understand, don't be distracted by his double-talk. That's what the clip I just posted is all about: Bush had no idea what the Dingell-Norwood Bill was all about... not that most people do -- but he was running for PRESIDENT, for God's sake! Instead of answering a direct question about the bill, Bush hemmed and hawed about how he'll get things done and about how Gore wouldn't. The audience's mocking laugh said it all... Too bad they weren't the only ones voting! :-)

Sure, that's in the past. And now.... onward and upward --- even if I'm still wondering who the heck I'll vote for (as a lot of people are).

• 1 month later...

Six weeks later, and I'm still in the "undecided" category.... In the meantime, where's Tony Cartmill? Tony, I thought you'd like to see this piece in the Christian Science Monitor on how -- because of Al Gore's crusade -- the-powers-that-be are finally paying a little bit of attention to climate change/global warming:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0103/p04s01-wogi.html

Well spoken, Tony.... It's so hard to break an addiction, but... oil isn't getting any cheaper these days....

PS: Did you ever see Monsters Inc.? Now THERE was a creative way to produce energy --- convert screams and laughter into power. If only it were that easy.... Our own "monsters" have a vested interest in keeping oil as our main drug. (Price of oil per barrel in 2002: $20. Price of oil today: $97.)

• 2 months later...

Oh, man... A Time magazine column --- TIME magazine! --- turns up and opines that, in a perfect world, Al Gore would settle this Democratic-side war by stepping up as the party's chosen one. No, it won't happen, but... what a great thought:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1725678,00.html?xid=rss-nation

The writer, Joe Klein, is only half-serious ("Let's play a little..."), but he makes a good point:

"...Gore knows that April is the silly season in presidential politics, the moment when candidates involved in a bruising primary battle seem weakest and bloodied, as both Hillary Clinton and Obama do now. It's the moment when pundits demand action—"Drop out, Hillary!"—and propound foolish theories. And so I'm rather embarrassed to admit that I'm slouching toward, well, a theory: if this race continues to slide downhill, the answer to the Democratic Party's dilemma may turn out to be Al Gore."

Yeah, that's right! And Gore could beat McCain.... Alas, as one Dem told the writer, Gore probably wouldn't do it even if the Democratic party --- in the event of a Clinton/Obama deadlock --- handed him the nomination. I don't blame him. It's an ugly game.

Meanwhile, Clinton and Obama keep slugging away, creating more doubt about each other than the Republicans are. And yes, those smart, ruthless Republicans keep pushing their candidate into people's minds as the answer.

So let's get ready for a very likely scenario: As Bush and Cheney ride off into the sunset, patting themselves on the back for a "job well done" while a six-year-old war rages on, we'll be honoring the 44th U.S. commander in chief: President John McCain.

The Democratic party has so many holes in its foot, er, feet....