Toto

AnneG

Speaking of Toto, back in 1981, the song called "Live For Today" (from 1981 "Turn Back") could be a great theme for the NBC "Today" morning show. The song goes "Let's live for today, tomorrow may never come oh no, let's live for today, tomorrow may never come but you just can't turn anymore." The song went to # 40 (Album Rock Charts for 1 week) back in March 21, 1981 when Billboard magazine first debuted the Album Rock Charts. Matt

In my 30+ years as a semi-professional guitarist,

I feel Steve Lukather is one of the best around.

Listen to some of his "other " work, like:

"Talk to ya later" by the Tubes.The trail-out solo where he switches modes is absolutely incredible.

cmon Bob.These guys were SERIOUS studio musicians.

Bob I'll bet you never even listened to the Hydra album because it has great songs and musicianship on it.

speaking of toto on other peoples albums Don't forget the Boz scaggs silk Degrees album

Got very mixed feelings about Toto...no doubt they are a tight band......but often the songwriting is a bit on the bland side, for the most part("Rosanna" especially).....yes, I do miss Jeff, too. He was one of the best....Simon Phillips is no slouch, either, though.....and way too good of a drummer to be in his former band, Judas Priest.(No offense intended, but Phillips' musicianship level was on a way different planet from the Tiptons and Halfords)

Luthaker has got kind of bad rep amongst some of the rank and file bar musicians---between the attidude he has with some of them in personal contact, as well as how he comes off in interviews. (Not nearly as full of himself as much as Ambrosia used to do, but bad enough.)....Still, despite this, I must admit he does some great studio work....

Yeah, Cheryl Lynn's "Got to Be Real" is another example of how tight Toto is as a backing band.

Phillanganes is good, but very low-key. Does some really subtle stuff, isn't flashy, and doesn't get in the way of everyone else. Also met him in S.F. once--appears really easy to get along with.(hey Danny, wasn't keyboards his main instrument before???.....as when backing Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie?)

Another interesting thing about Toto, is that they are much bigger in France than they are here.

Bob, I do get your point clearly, though....

musicianship alone does not neccessarily make a good record. Although I do have a couple of Toto albums in my collection, I haven't dug them out in quite a while....yet I have listened to the Ramones a few times......get my drift?

And much like the Doors, Boston, Nirvana,Britney Spears, the Cars, and (yes)the Raspberries, the first big "breakthrough" song of Toto's also happens to be the best one......yeah, I still enjoy "Hold the Line"!!

I loved "Rosanna" (the song) from the moment I first heard it, and our band at the time went on a mission to learn the song. We just couldn't duplicate the horn charts or the keyboard solo.

If you haven't already, check out some of Toto's ballads, most of which were written by Steve L. Beautiful melodies and Lukather's very-underated lead vocals.

Marvin

Marvin I'm with you on Rosanna.Thats a great song.

I should have played with you guys I can definetly handle the keyboard and horn parts.I used to play White Sister off of the Hydra album.Talk about a killer piano lick. right before the guitar solo is a monster piano lick.I also used to do Lorraine from the same album.And of course we did hold the line

A few months ago I discovered their CD "Through the Looking Glass", a covers album they did in 2002. Among some of the highlights are "Bodhisattva" (Steely Dan), "Burn Down the Missin" (Elton), "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", and "It Takes alot to Laugh, it Takes a Train to Cry" (Dylan). The last 2 have to be among the best versions I've ever heard...

Jeff

Jeff I picked up that disc at CD World in Menlo Park Mall, NJ. I think it was about 5 years ago. They really nail the Steely Dan tune as well as an interesting cover of Stevie W's "You Haven't Done Nothin'", and Elvis' "Watching the Detectives."

Marvin

Danny, Marvin, the issue I have with "Rosanna" is the basic song .....in reality, the arrangements are phenomenal, and much larger than the song itself.

Maybe it's time for me to revisit Toto's catalog, especially in these days of when most of the stuff on the radio is crappy. Haven't heard anything from the era of when that Byron guy was the lead singer; is it any good? Plus nothing off the third album("Isolaton"??). Anything worthwhile there?

Kind of interesting hearing about the cover tunes......and a tune that would be a natural for them to do is, strangely enough, is a Beach Boy tune......"Maybe I Don't Know" from the "1985" album......I'm sure Luthaker would have a field day with that one.....And have any of you guitar players ever played the "Luke" guitar(steve's model)?..it was available for a while then just disappeared. I think Music Man made it.

And what is the lineup these days, anyway?

Stut...Paul and I used to do gigs when he would come into cleveland,We had a 4-piece and would play ANY

song for A tip, well someone requested Rosanna, so we huddled for 15 seconds,and started the song, and realized we had no keys!IT was HILARIOUS! needless to say people kept putting their hands in their pockets all night, and we wound up with more tip money then what the gig paid!

Billy K,

Isolation was a bit of a harder edge sound for them as I remember. They had one hit off of it, "Stranger in Town" which you'll never find on any of the various best ofs or Greatest Hits CD's that are out there. Personally, I always thought it was one of thier best songs...

Jeff

Marvin, heard about that Byron guy from this one press release---must have been about 10-12 years ago. Even had a picture of him on it---looks Jamaican and had dreadlocks---a bit of a contrast to the rest of the band. Apparently didn't last long.

Tony, although I have done a variety of artists' tunes---and extreme ones at times---the thought had never crossed my mind to do some Toto.

Hopefully, one of the clubs will have "Africa" or one of the other tunes....

Incidentally, when I lived in the Bay Area and played in a band, some of the other bands did Toto covers, though different ones than some of you mentioned......one band did "Girl Goodbye", and another did "Angela".

As for the French thing, I happened to be in Paris in October 1998....there were Toto posters all over the place saying they were coming to town....only to find out they were coming in December 1999! Yeah, like advertising 14 months in advance!!