That Thing you Do

Craig Benfer

I was at my son's basketball game tonight, and at halftime they played a song over the speaker system that I think is entitled "That Thing You Do". Now it's been awhile since I heard the song by the same name fron the Tom Hanks movie, so I'm not really sure if it's the same song. I do remember that the one I heard from the movie was live, and this one was not. It sounded alot more polished. Does anyone have any ideas about what I might have heard tonight. Lebanon Cedars 6-0.

Craig, most likely it was "TTYD" that you heard. The "TTYD" soundtrack has the 'polished' version of the song that you're referring to. For the most part, the artists on the soundtrack are unknown to the general public, but very well known to fans of Pop music. The soundtrack is a great Pop/Rock record and well-worth purchasing to fans of Eric. The song "TTYD" itself is a magnificent slice of Pop music.

MARVIN

I agree that the sound track to DTTYD is well worth picking up. I bought it right after I saw the movie and still play it often. It did remind me of the Berries in a way. I always

thought that the liner and cover to the Berries greatest hits would have made a great screen play start for a movie. The title of course would be ' Over night Sensation '

I'd like to see a follow up to DTTYD. As I understood it the actors actually played thier instruments. May have made a great promotion to have them tour with a new release and album.

Jeff

There was a special about the making of the movie. Tom Hanks wrote most of the songs and yes, the actors learned how to play their instruments, though only for the songs they performed. They sang in the studio and did play the instruments on the basic tracks, but studio musicians were used for overdubs and such, only on the "Wonders" songs. Studio musicians were used for all the others.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a special about the making of the movie. Tom Hanks wrote most of the songs and yes, the actors learned how to play their instruments, though only for the songs they performed. They sang in the studio and did play the instruments on the basic tracks, but studio musicians were used for overdubs and such, only on the "Wonders" songs. Studio musicians were used for all the others.

I seriously doubt Tom Hanks wrote the songs for that movie.That thing you do is written by Adam schlesinger who has produced many people and has come into his own as a songwriter.I agree with Marvin.The actors may have played there instruments while acting ,but there is no way they were on the soundtrack.I used to play my tennis racket to "I wanna hold your hand".I would bet the best session players in L.A. are all over that record.

Funny story... I had made a couple of cassettes for a trip to the beach last summer. I had a few songs from That Thing You Do on it and when my girlfriend asked "who is that band" I told her The Wonders. A few months later (after we split up) she called and said that she had searched and searched and couldn't find anything by a band called The Wonders. I thought it was funny. Laytah!

To stut 5

If serious session musicians were on all the tracks as you stated, I wouldn't leave my name as the wonders songs are basic. Tom Hanks wrote the Opening tracks of the movie and helped on others as he said. In the special about the movie, actor Steve Zahn stated that he was nervous going into the recording studio to do the basic tracks. If you notice, even on the CD, the live version sounds different because they actually played it live. Two of the wonders songs were never used in the movie, as they were used as filler for the cd. Next time you wanna slam, know your facts fool. mad

To stut 5

If serious session musicians were on all the tracks as you stated, I wouldn't leave my name as the wonders songs are basic. Tom Hanks wrote the Opening tracks of the movie and helped on others as he said. In the special about the movie, actor Steve Zahn stated that he was nervous going into the recording studio to do the basic tracks. If you notice, even on the CD, the live version sounds different because they actually played it live. Two of the wonders songs were never used in the movie, as they were used as filler for the cd. Next time you wanna slam, know your facts fool. mad

first of all I aint nobody's fool.secondly I said that there was probably great L.A. studio musicians all over the album.Simple tunes does'nt mean a session musician would not want credit.you obviously havn't a clue about the recording industry.Some of the biggest hits were recorded with all studio guys The Partridge Family Hal Blaine has more credits than anyone I can think of ever and he's played everything from jazz to bubble gum.3rd If Tom Hanks wrote anything on that album I would bet he had some help from a songwriter with the film companies publishing.Ghostwriters happen all the time.4th I don't recall slamming anybody I simply stated my opinion on something.If you don't like it then shove it!!! angry the best thing about a forum is hearing different perspectives from people.

I don't care what Tom Hanks says. He did NOT write that song. Listen during the credits. Yet another writer tried his hand at a song called That Thing You Do. Why? Because they solicited a bunch of different writers to try their hand at a 60s bubblegum hit that was to be titled that thing you do. He wrote the title. Hence the credit.

Right Julia? laugh

Lip-Synching Feeling

Hey Hosskratz

Here is just a little story I dug up really just because you were so rude calling me a fool.I also found other info about studio musicians that played on this album.I really would not have gone through all this trouble if you had not acted like the jackass that you are.This just really shows how they were trying to conceal stuff to create a buzz.I also saw something that said Tom hanks composer but it then said no credits were given to him.

Musician Down About Unsung Movie Role

By Richard Harrington

Washington Post Staff Writer

October 08, 1996

So, just who does do "That Thing You Do!"?

Folks seeing the new film, written and directed by Tom Hanks, about a one-hit rock band called the Wonders may be excused for thinking that the song is sung by the actor Johnathon Schaech, who plays Jimmy, the Wonders' moody singer-songwriter.

There's nothing in the credits for the film, or its attendant soundtrack on Epic, to indicate otherwise, even if there's also nothing to suggest that Schaech is the singer. Adam Schlesinger, who wrote the song, is clearly identified as its author. But the artist whose voice is heard singing the song 11 times in the film is buried deep in the listings.

Only after a cast list of 100 and a production list of 200, after a rundown of the film's songs and 20 "Additional Musicians," does there appear this credit: "Additional Vocals by . . . Mike Viola."

"My experience is that when you do something, you get credit for it," says Viola, half of the New York pop-rock duo the Candy Butchers. To add insult to anonymity, Viola is listed after the "First Aid," "Catering" and "Animals Supplied by" credits.

"There's one horse in the movie and I came after that, so it just bummed me out."

Viola's hardly the first singer to labor anonymously in Hollywood. In the '50s and '60s, Marni Nixon had an uncredited career covering for Deborah Kerr in "The King and I," Audrey Hepburn in "My Fair Lady" and Natalie Wood in "West Side Story."

Viola, however, has not been silent about the situation. "No one ever said `Please be hush-hush,' " Viola said Wednesday from New York, where he's working on a Candy Butchers album for early next year.

Gary Goetzman, who produced both the film and soundtrack with Hanks, concedes that the promotional campaign for "That Thing You Do!" does try to present a studio-generated mythology about the Wonders' origins and achievements.

"Everybody knew going in what it was all about," Goetzman says. "Mike's a royalty artist on the album and he got paid to do it, so I don't understand why he has this problem. We've always liked Mike's vocal on `That Thing You Do!' He sang the song great."

Let's step back in time.

Last year, Tom Hanks sent word to a number of music publishers that he was looking for a Beatlesque song with a specific title: "That Thing You Do!" Among the 300 submissions was one from Adam Schlesinger of the band Fountains of Wayne (whose debut album was released last Tuesday).

"It had to have an upbeat sound that would sound like it could have been a hit in 1964 by a band that was obviously influenced by the British Invasion, so they narrowed it down stylistically," Schlesinger recalled Wednesday from Los Angeles, where he was promoting his new album.

So Schlesinger called in his longtime buddy Viola and together they made a demo, Viola on vocals and guitar, Schlesinger on bass and drums. "We did it one afternoon and tried to keep it as low-tech as we could: a drum set with just a couple of mikes, all of us singing backup around one microphone. We actually mixed the demo onto a cassette and slowed the cassette down just a little bit so it would sound warbly, like a vintage seven-inch record."

"It was a gas," Viola says. "Just for fun, never thinking we'd actually get the song in the movie. There was a certain energy -- actually I had a hangover and my voice was all rough, but there was an enthusiastic energy that's hard to re-create."

Schlesinger had enlisted Viola because "his voice was perfect for this kind of hit. The day we recorded it, I said, `Don't be surprised if this isn't the last you've heard about this.' "

And that's what happened.

The song was accepted by Hanks. Viola went out to California to re-record the vocals for three different versions of "That Thing You Do!" and to do leads on two other Wonders tracks ("Little Wild One" and "All My Only Dreams"). "My main concern was getting the vocal," Viola says. "I wasn't really thinking about credits and contracts."

Viola even did a later session, dubbing a scene in which actor Schaech works on the song with the band in their garage just before a talent show. "It was weird since the tables were turned, and I had to follow the action on screen and he was taking breaths at impossible moments in the phrases, not knowing any better because he's not a singer.

"You know, I thought I'd be more blown away seeing someone lip-synching to my voice, but it's such a happy, innocuous film, it just oozed out of the screen."

Viola insists he's not setting out to create problems for Hanks and the film. "I was involved in a major, major project, and I'm just telling it like it is," he explains. "I have a career to think about and this could be a nice impetus to get into the mainstream and I can't let it go by."

Of course, it's frustrating that Viola's uncredited voice is likely to be heard a lot over the next few months: The single from the soundtrack is beginning to pick up steam at radio stations, and if the movie becomes the hit everyone expects, there will be some major video exposure on MTV and VH-1 -- the kind of exposure most artists pray for. What they don't pray for is the opportunity to compete against themselves.

"If they want to know who sang `That Thing You Do!,' people can find it if they look for it," Gary Goetzman says. "Mike Viola will always get credit for the fabulous vocal he did."

As for Schlesinger, he admits the timing -- Fountain of Wayne's album last Tuesday, the film Friday -- is "pretty uncanny. I wish I could say it was planned a year ahead of time but it was sort of a happy accident, and I'm not sure the audiences for the two things overlap all that much. I don't think we're gonna rise or fall based on `That Thing You Do!' We may be one-hit wonders in our own rights, but it won't be for that song."

© Copyright 1996 The Washington Post Company

Back to the Interveiws & Reviews page

Well the cd's songwriting credit (for whatever that's worth) does show Hanks as co-writer on a few of the songs. Take that with a grain of salt because it's a well-known ploy in the music industry to do this sort of thing so that you can attain publishing rights. Elvis is listed as co-writer on a couple of his early hits and most people in the know will tell you he had nothing to do with writing those songs.

MARVIN

To Stut5

I can only go by a program I saw on HBO. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. As far as shove it goes, right back at you. Everyone is so adamant about songwriting, and who gets credits, just remember, the musicians don't own the music, the labels and publishing company does. Eric had to fight for his. Stut you also had to have a comment on George Michael about doing the Queen reunion. I am not a fan of his music either, but if the remaining band members want to do a tour with him filling in for Freddie Mercury, more power to them. Look at all the reunion and trip down abbey road type shows. These guys didn't make all the money people thought they did. A few years ago I saw all the other Berries minus Eric at the Odeon in Cleveland. It wasn't the "Raspberries" but it was a great show none the less.

To Stut5

I can only go by a program I saw on HBO. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. As far as shove it goes, right back at you. Everyone is so adamant about songwriting, and who gets credits, just remember, the musicians don't own the music, the labels and publishing company does. Eric had to fight for his. Stut you also had to have a comment on George Michael about doing the Queen reunion. I am not a fan of his music either, but if the remaining band members want to do a tour with him filling in for Freddie Mercury, more power to them. Look at all the reunion and trip down abbey road type shows. These guys didn't make all the money people thought they did. A few years ago I saw all the other Berries minus Eric at the Odeon in Cleveland. It wasn't the "Raspberries" but it was a great show none the less.

you need to learn the difference between someone having an opinion on a topic and taking something personal.On any post that I reply to I merely make a statement based on my thoughts to propell conversation.You on the other hand decide to launch it to a different level by making derogatory remarks.This is a forum for people to discuss topics.As for Tom having credit on the songs that Marvin posted above.Here are my thoughts on that.The whole film industry is based on power you got the power you call the shots.Obviously Hanks is in a powerful position thus he can write some tracks and get them on the soundtrack... whether he wrote them or helped write them we'll never know.However my main point is that if he were not who he is I'm sure whatever songs he did get on there would probably never have gotten up to bat.Getting a song on a soundtrack for even an established songwriter is a formidable task. Just look at the song Bernie put up for Christmas I think I read it was supposed to get on some soundtrack or something.Thats all I'm done

To stut 5

I do not think Stut5 is wrong with his assumption that serious session musicians played the instruments on "that thing you do", the songs were fairly basic yet polished. No way were they done by actors. The monkies palyed there instruments but were overdubbed in the studio for any albums. Sorry hosskratz, but I am affraid I have to side with stut5 on this one! Peace