Overhauling

Ecstasy

Am I the only one who gets a nesting instinct this time of year and feels the need to overhaul the house? arrgh and want to overhaul the place! I'm putting together a master to-do (including repairs) list and am going to tackle the place room by room. Someone please tell me I'm not alone in this compulsion! confused

I wish I could reset my seasonal clock. :rolleyes: I am NOT a fall/winter person at all. I need to get this way in the spring/summer when I have more energy and enthusiasm!!! Oh well, today I begin tearing apart the dining room.

I'm sure my husband will try to hide from me, too, GMan! But he's got to come out of seclusion sometime! laugh Pounce!!!

This is the best time for us to start improvements because it's nice out.

Our AC is 17 years old and everyone around us has replaced theirs years ago. So rather than waiting for it to die in the heat of the summer we are getting started soon, as well as resurfacing the pool. Boring stuff but it has to be done.

Nope, you won't need to duck from anything from me, that's for sure! John has supported us on a single income for 30 yrs so that I could stay home with the kids (both of our decisions.) Yeah, we had to make plenty of sacrifices but it's paid off huge in the long haul. I have the UTMOST respect for men who provide for their families in the best way they're able!

I think we do need help with the house for a few reasons, though. Some of the jobs are just too big to tackle alone for starters. One of the things we really need to do is put in new flooring throughout the house. We found a gorgeous bamboo laminate click-floor we'd like to get but it would be suicide to attempt alone. (For this project we're bringing in our older boys, too!) Some projects are health-related. Annie, Laura, and I are all HIGHLY allergic to mold so we can't be the ones to clear out the garage! LOL It's nice to work as a team and feel a sense of accomplishment and pride as you see things taking shape. I highly doubt John would be as sentimental about it as I am but....ROFLOL!

Yep, I'm doing it too, Kathy Lee!! Lol!!! I'm currently working on my giant computer desk! The rest of the house is looking great.

Have you ever heard of "FlyLady"??? I'll post a link here. I've checked out this site off and on for several years now, and finally signed up last night. It's free and they send you e-mails every day to give you little chores to do around your house everyday.

Flylady

I know several people that use this site and just love it.

Julie

Anne: Thanks for the confirmation on the bamboo flooring! Our house is very Chinese and I was really looking for something to pick up the decor. Was it one of these click floors? How do you clean these when you aren't supposed to get too much water on them --- Swiffers?

Beth: Annie and I already tore out part of the master bath. We were getting rid of the closet in there and she was really mad at Brian at the time. She just kept swinging the hammer and repeating his name! Great for my bathroom but Brian keeps his distance these days! haha

I decided to start with the dining room because it's small enough to do in managable tasks while I'm recovering from this stupid respiratory infection. I can't sweep down the ceiling yet (wouldn't that be great for my sinuses) so I had John teach me how to take apart the crystal lamps so they could be washed well. (Guys, he did so graciously but reminded me why he hates these lamps. :P ) He's also handing me the glass panes from the chandelier so I can wash them. I think he figures he has to because I burst into tears that I couldn't do the ceiling! At least the lighting will be done, right? :rolleyes:

Actually, my hubby started a list of what he would like to accomplish. I definitely get that "put it in order" bug, especially since I started back to school. I let so much go during the semester that I get that frantic feeling to get it all done before the next semester starts!!! Pete has actually been influenced by Tim Gunn's Guide to Style show. If he hasn't used it or worn it in a year, get rid of it. Tough concept for a hoarder to get!!!!

Kathy Lee: Unfinished bamboo was installed in a prior house, and then sanded and stained. It was very messy, but the planks didn't have the bevel that is common with prefinished. If you want to see pictures, I can email you some. We are going to have the prefinished bamboo installed in our current house next month - but it's not 'clickable'. I never had problem with water on the floors - perhaps because I always quickly wiped it up! Although it is a hardwood you have to be careful with dropping somewhat heavy items --the floor will dent/chip (not in a significant way, but just be careful).

Muzza - my list runs the gamut from de-cluttering to painting to electrical. Anything there that suits you??!!

Julie: It's funny you should mention FlyLady. I just combined her detailed cleaning list with the room by room ones at Organized Home. I couldn't handle her day to day lists because it made me too neurotic LOL but I like her deep cleaning lists. I'm on a couple of groups on YahooGroups that give me challenges and motivation --- Holiday Grand Plan (which goes year round), Great Clutter Challenge (which has a holiday sister list, Christmas Clutter Countdown), and a very small new group called Loving Home. The first two have good files to tap into, too (the last one is too new yet.) I've been home all these years and I'm at the point where I really need the fresh ideas and a good flow of creative energy that others can share. And for the record, many of them are tearing their homes apart, too!!!

My biggest project: I went through all of my closets during Christmas vacation, organizing, tidying and paring down, since Herman observed that the pole in one of them bent the bracket from too much weight and was sagging! He didn't smile on the fact that it was necessary to replace the wooden bars in all of my closets with heavy duty chrome ones. Oh dear.

Well, now they can hold more! (Hey, Kath, been to SteinMart lately?) haha

smile --Darlene

Nothing like cleaning out the closets... :rolleyes:

I haven't done it lately, the last time I did I had no choice because the upper wire shelves the builder put in collapsed~ bringing all the lower shelves down.

It was expensive to have a closet system put in but it is so nice, it is easier to keep it straight.

But it is time to go through and weed out forgotten and worn items.