Sarah Palin

Bessieboo

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oh Lordy, It's gettin' harder to put lipstick on this pig and send it out on the campaign trail!"

For those people who don't know that old advertising quote describing trying to sell something you know won't work or don't believe in, I didn't mean anything derogatory towards Sweet Baby Sarah Palin.

Heck, I'm searching the web looking for old bikini shots from her beauty pageant days! eek

Here's my thoughts on this topic..

1) McCain picked her to get the 18 million female votes. It certainly can't be for her political experience. She doesn't have any.

2) Her daughter got pregneant. So what? What the hell does that have to do with her political experience? Nothing. Clinton couldn't keep Mr. Winky in his pants and wanted us all to define the term 'sexual relations' then lied to us all.

That did not mean he wasn't a good President. It just meant he didn't know the definition of discreet, and lacked good taste in women.

As for Palin's daughter, that's no one's business but her family's.

3) Her shooting and killing of a deer all bloodied with her posing, not good for appearance, and certainly not good for the animal right's activists votes.

4) McCain in my opinion, could have picked someone else with a helluva lot more experience. I feel it fed his ulterior motive and not really a good choice. I think this will hurt him in the long run.

The topic of Sarah Palin's daughter's pregnancy is only worthy of discussion if she chose to abort... otherwise she is showing the same values as her mother... This is being reported solely in the effort to give some of those fundamentalist nut-job Christians the knee-jerk of seeing that Palin's family isn't a bunch of "holy-rollers" so their "Christian Allegiance" to the party of the moral-right does not prevent them from embrasing the modern-day Messiah...

As for Palin's lack of experience, the question for those who ponder VP candidates is... would you rather have a woman with little experience or a long-time Washington Insider who has shown us time and time again how bad off we would be with him at the helm of our country...

But why do I sound like I'm campaigning for the Republican party? I am sticking to my guns through the election... 3rd Party Candidate for President... if the election was today, my choice would be Bob Barr... even though he is not as "outside" as I'd like, Jesse Ventura chose not to run... laugh

I think the pick of Palin is a shrewd pick by McCain ( or Rick Davis or whatever).

Only 7% men are undecided and 24% women. Plus, some social-conservatives may sit home for one reason or another ( pregnant teen daughter ) but McCain will more than make up for this by pulling ind. women and dis-illusioned Hillary supporters in swing states. The ones that may sit home are in states he will win anyway. Nice trade-off for McCain I'd say.

Beatnut, I also think that Obama should have chosen Hillary, if he wanted the maximum reach and most votes. I do like Joe Biden, but Hillary has such a following..... That said, making a voting decision based on someone's name is short-sighted, don't you think? Or are you just kidding?

Re: Sarah Palin.... I don't care how many kids she has, what their problems might be, how cute they might be, how young her pregnant daughter is, how hot she is, how many wild animals she's shot and slaughtered.... Sarah Palin is not the best choice John McCain could have made, and for one reason: experience. She just ain't got enough experience to be a "heartbeat away from the presidency."

I have told people for a couple years that if Gore didn't run, I'd be open to any candidate, either party. Yes, I would switch parties if I thought the Republicans had a better man or woman. But there's no way I'd vote for McCain after he made such a weak decision.

The problem is: He didn't choose the person best suited for a pretty big job. He chose the one who'd make the biggest splash, as Palin has done, because I'm sure he sensed the election slipping away. Will it translate to enough votes? Maybe, but I just can't see it. IMHO.

PS: Besides all that, I've gotta say.... During her big moment last night, she came across as a catty, venomous shill angry who spent more time firing poison darts at Obama (not always bothering to use facts) than laying out plans for her own vice-presidency. Heck, if I didn't know better, I'd use the "b" word to describe her "aura," but... arrgh I know better. smile

* Not that she has any plans for her vice-presidency.... I'm sure she's still getting used to the idea that she's been tapped for the job.

That said, making a voting decision based on someone's name is short-sighted, don't you think? Or are you just kidding?

The New York Daily News, a pretty liberal newspaper, had this to say on the name game.

- - - -

Middle name Hussein is only one reason terror thugs like Barack Obama

Friday, May 16th 2008

Barack Hussein Obama wants it both ways.

Any American who uses his full name is trying to scare voters, his wife charges. But Obama says he understands why Islamic terror group Hamas looks at his middle name and trusts him. Ditto for his plan to meet with Iran's madman president and other rogue leaders. Obama sees his open-door policy as evidence he will end President Bush's "cowboy diplomacy." When Bush slammed that plan Thursday as "appeasement," Obama accused him of a "false political attack."

It's a legitimate attack, because Obama's kumbaya foreign policy is dangerous. And his name, including the Hussein part, is fair game because Obama has declared it an international advantage.

He can want it both ways, but he can't have it.

The trouble started when Hamas adviser Ahmed Yousef said, "We like Mr. Obama" and added, "we hope he wins the election."

That's an endorsement, plain and simple. When John McCain jumped in, promising to be Hamas' "worst enemy," Obama got huffy and accused McCain of "divisive fear-mongering."

That's par for the Obama course. Michelle Obama once said anyone using her husband's full name is throwing the "ultimate fear bomb. When all else fails, be afraid of his name."

Maybe we should be afraid. Consider what Obama says in an interview in the current Atlantic magazine.

Asked by writer Jeffrey Goldberg if he was "flummoxed" by the Hamas support, Obama responds no and says: "It's conceivable that there are those in the Arab world who say to themselves, 'This is a guy who spent some time in the Muslim world, has a middle name of Hussein and appears more worldly and has called for talks with people, and so he's not going to be engaging in the same sort of cowboy diplomacy as George Bush,' and that's something they're hopeful about."

He adds: "That's a perfectly legitimate perception as long as they're not confused about my unyielding support for Israel's security."

In fact, there is confusion. Some of it goes to his long relationship with the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, whose church magazine printed anti-Israel views. There is no evidence Obama objected.

The Atlantic interview adds to the confusion. While Obama stresses the importance of Israel to Jews, he also seems to parrot liberal nonsense that blames the entire Mideast conflict on Israeli settlements.

He even links Israeli parents' concern for their children's safety to settlements, posing the question: "Is settlement policy conducive to relieving that over the long term, or is it just making the situation worse?"

WRONG QUESTION. The right one is why should Israel or anyone else meet with Hamas, which won't recognize Israel's right to exist and fires rockets into civilian areas? Hamas' vow to destroy Israel has nothing to do with settlements or borders.

One question has been answered, though. Now we know why Hamas prefers Barack Hussein Obama. He's told us himself.

"Sarah Palin is not the best choice John McCain could have made, and for one reason: experience. She just ain't got enough experience to be a "heartbeat away from the presidency.""

Couldn't agree more....and it ALSO applies to the Democratic Presidential nominee, who ran for and won a Senate seat, then spent most of his next 4 years trying to avoid his associated responsibilities to his constituents, as he had bigger fish to fry (running for the Presidency!)

(This comes from my Hill contacts, most of whom have rarely even seen him there since his election in '04. He's been known to fly in just for votes or photo opportunities, then leave immediately, numerous times)

Let's face it - each ticket has a young and bright, but extremely inexperienced individual, and an old Washington insider hack......and each Vice Presidential pick has seemed quite odd - McCain picking someone with no experience, while touting the importance of being able to step in and lead immediately....and Obama selecting Biden, whose name doesn't exactly surface when I think about the words "change" or "shakeup in Washington"! It's gonna come down to (or at least, it SHOULD come down to) your take on their respective policies and views.

Me, I'm concerned about the future makeup of the Supreme Court, since those fools are appointed for life.....

P.S. I've voted in 9 Presidential elections - 5 times for Democrats, 4 times for Republicans. Seriously considering sitting this one out....On the one hand, there's my civic duty to consider; on the other, the very real possibility that, no matter who I vote for, I won't like the results the next morning!

Beatnut, I also think that Obama should have chosen Hillary, if he wanted the maximum reach and most votes. I do like Joe Biden, but Hillary has such a following..... That said, making a voting decision based on someone's name is short-sighted, don't you think? Or are you just kidding?

Unfortunately i'm not kidding. I'm just being forthright. I mean how could the resembelance of his name not be front and center? It's just an obvious observation for me. The issue with his Pastor who he's abandoned now is another concern.

Let me just say this about that. When something comes out of the blue like that you have to ask yourself why? It's like everytime that damn Enquirer comes out with something so off the wall it always winds up being true. They broke the story of Patrick Swayze and also Michael Vick betting on dog fights..go figure.

Let's face it - each ticket has a young and bright, but extremely inexperienced individual, and an old Washington insider hack......and each Vice Presidential pick has seemed quite odd - McCain picking someone with no experience, while touting the importance of being able to step in and lead immediately....and Obama selecting Biden, whose name doesn't exactly surface when I think about the words "change" or "shakeup in Washington"! It's gonna come down to (or at least, it SHOULD come down to) your take on their respective policies and views.

JohnO, we're in complete and utter agreement. I'm not 100% thrilled with the Democratic ticket (I guess I don't need to mention who I wanted as prez!), but to me, it's a lot better than the alternative.

I think Biden is fine, in terms of being qualified. Often, "qualified" and "electible" are different things....

Heh...LC...like it or not, Palin has been a shot in the arm for McCain, more people tuned into her speech..the VP candiate than did for Obama's big speech. Panic city for the Dems. You thought she sounded shrill? I didn't...it was a great speech...I don't think it could have been delivered better.

I don't think the Dems are panicking. But I do think they're surprised at how some people seem mesmerized by Ms. Palin.

For me, her delivery last night was like fingernails-on-chalkboard: screechy, shrill, nagging, witchy, condescending, mocking, and unpolished, with moments that had her sounding like a 16-year-old girl going toe-to-toe with a rival in the high school hallway, with her head bobbing and her finger wagging.... I almost had to turn it off, but I... I just couldn't turn away. Kind of like seeing an accident.

Look, boys (and I don't direct this at anyone here in particular, Tony and H65), I know Ms. Palin fits nicely into your fantasies. And sure, you might find a really strong, dominant woman to be a turn-on. Maybe you're imagining her in your private quarters, taking her hair down and removing those cool glasses and looking directly into your eyes with those sparkling green eyes of hers. (Tony, are you sweating...?)

And sure, maybe some day down the road she'll be a fine politician on a national scale. But damn, let her pad that resume a bit. Going from a 20-month stint as a governor to Vice President of the United States makes no sense. No sense at all. It's maverick stuff, yeah. And mavericks may be fun, but do you really want them to be the most powerful people in the world? Really? Do you really want a chick maverick, an inexperienced one, in that VP spot? With a 72-year-old? McCain might be in good shape, but... let's be sensible....