NAME THAT TUNE, Cont'd

JohnO

Bernie - I think Gene Vincent died of some sort of internal bleeding, brought on by alcoholism (drank himself to death)...the car crash just crippled him. Also, there was another Allman Bros. Band member who died in a cycle accident - Berry Oakley, maybe?

The scoring - Tommy, all of your team and joint efforts are confusing the Hell out of me - from now on, I'm just showing all TTMM and TTMM/g****e

under your name, OK?

Also, regarding various fatal accidents - Should I bring up gardening accidents? (Merle Watson and Jeff Porcaro, Toto's drummer) Howsa about acute alcohol poisoning? (Bon Scott, John Bonham, arguably Phil Lynott and Keith Moon)

Tommy Tunes, et al. - 5.5 points

AnneG - 2

Sterling - 2

JumpMan - 1

CubFanMike - .5

Nobody - 3.5

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per Tony C. - "But since I am a hetero white guy, nobody will listen or care"

Tony - I'm listening and I care! I really do, and, for that reason, here's today's tune, especially with you in mind.......

Where can you find pleasure,

Search the world for treasure,

Learn science, technology?

Where can you begin to make your dreams all come true,

On the land or on the sea?

Where you can learn to fly,

Play in sports or skin dive,

Study oceanography?

Or sit in the grandstand,

When your team and others meet?

HINT (although perhaps not a very good one) - This is the very first lyrics I've used where I do not personally have the song. Consequently, if any of these lyrics are inaccurate, please write to Google and complain......

In the Navy/ Village People

JohnO,

That was the best hint of all time. Not the part about you not owning the song but the second part where you told us we could find the answer on Google. I have 2 questions. 1) With such a hint how did this one last so long? AND 2) How did you refrain from going postal waiting?

Actually, there are multiple versions of those lyrics on Google, with varying degrees of punctuation.....but yeah, I gave it away....

although I am APPALLED that you people would resort to using Google!!! (I need to learn how to add those damn smiley faces to my posts....)

I'm not sure how this one lasted so long, other than I suspect nobody looked at the thread.

How did I avoid going postal? I actually do occasionally have work to do here in the office...infrequent, though, it may be.....

Award a point to Mister Tunes....although the butch lyrics were posted with the very macho and hetero (as he keeps reminding us) Mister Cartmill in mind. (Oh Hell, I should have looked up "Macho Man" instead.....). I guess I also should have waited until he wakes up on the Left Coast to giver him a fighting chance, no?

This was an easy one....tomorrow, I'll dip back into the record/CD collection for some lyrics that are unintelligible and, hence, unGoogle-able.

In the meantime, Tommy T. is now the prohibitive favorite to win back this thread!!!! He has a big lead......6.5 points, with the nearest rival being "nobody", with 3.5.

Tony - While I feel for you, this is how I felt when Bernie was posting all of the extra goodies in anticipation of "Tonight!"....and there I was with 2 ancient, crappy PCs (one here at home, one at work), and I couldn't download and play anything(!!) (Every time I tried, I got some sort of an error message, or statement that I couldn't do something because of security controls....and my computer skills are a lot more challenged than your inability to remember lyrics). Oh well.....

Tony - While I feel for you, this is how I felt when Bernie was posting all of the extra goodies in anticipation of "Tonight!"....and there I was with 2 ancient, crappy PCs (one here at home, one at work), and I couldn't download and play anything(!!) (Every time I tried, I got some sort of an error message, or statement that I couldn't do something because of security controls....and my computer skills are a lot more challenged than your inability to remember lyrics). Oh well.....

I was in the same boat (against the current), I know exactly how you felt JohnO.

Now, how about today's lyrics.

OK, today's tune......I saw the writer of this tune in NYC in 2002, playing his/her first American shows in about 35 years. The artist/band had a not-so-big hit with this song in their native country, but got in big trouble over it....to the point where he/they got sued and ended up having to fork over all royalties. The lyrics aren't quite as masculine/butch as yesterday's song, but there you have it.....

I heard the flowers in the breeze,

Make conversation with the trees,

Believed to leave reality behind me

With my commitments in a mess,

My sleep has gone away depressed,

In a world of fantasy you'll find me

Name that tune and the artist....

Yep....the TTMM team pulls further ahead.

Regarding my hints....when The Move released the single in '65 or '66, their idiot manager Tony Secunda thought it would be funny to put a faked photo of Prime Minister Harold Wilson in bed with a woman he was allegedly having an affair with on the picture sleeve. The PM was not amused, suing the band, the record company, their manager, etc. He won the lawsuit, and all royalties from "Flowers In The Rain" ended up going to Wilson's favorite charity. Wilson died in the 90's, but I think that charity is still collecting occasional royalties to this day from the song.

Roy Wood's Army, an 11-12 piece big band featuring 9 young ladies on horns, played 4 shows at the Village Underground in NYC in March 2002. He's rearranged all of the old Move songs and Wizzard/solo tunes for the horns. Roy was in great voice and all 4 of the shows were excellent (and a couple were widely bootlegged). They played all songs you mentioned above, as well as their biggest chart hit, Blackberry Way, California Man, Fire Brigade, Ballpark Incident, etc.

The original ELO was essentially The Move (at that point, the trio of Wood, Jeff Lynne and Bev Bevan) plus strings. Wood split after their first LP and formed Wizzard with ex-Move bassist Rick Price - more of a 50's-oriented sound. A pity that Roy never made the money that Lynne did...IMO, he's probably the more talented of the two.

Until tomorrow's tune......

OK, here's Saturday's tune....before I get snowed under (If DC really gets a foot of snow, the city will be closed for a week!).

This tune is from a former power pop icon who's one of our Northern neighbors, and frankly, I don't know what he/she/they have been doing lately....but the lyrics really fit this thread -

We were dancingg in the afternoon,

Listening to records on the radio,

But we can't understand the words

I remember when I was a boy,

Boy, I could recall every phrase and line,

Of every song I ever heard

Name that tune......

Hmmm....wonder what happened to the TTMM team today?

Oh well, this has dragged on long enough today.

Saturday's tune was Bob Segarini's "Gotta Have Pop", the title track to the Canadian power popster's 1978 album (released on CD in '96). A bit obscure, perhaps, but I thought one of the Canadians or power poppers on this board would get it....Segarini was in Roxy, The Wackers, the Dudes, and probably several other bands in the 70's/80's, one of which (Dudes?) also had several members of April Wine. Bob S. has been referred to as the Nick Lowe of Canada by some. I'm not sure what he's doing nowadays, but he was a DJ in Canada for a bit in the 90's. If anyone knows what he's up to, please chime in.....

Tomorrow - another tune......

Phil (from last night's post) - No, it wasn't Bryan Adams, it was Bob Segarini.

Sunday's tune, hopefully, won't be as difficult to get as Saturday's.....the artist, at least, is much better known, and had several Top 40 hits in the 60's/70's. Thisw particular artist/band is still around today.

Today's tune -

I never thought you was groovy,

You looked to me like a child,

I never dreamed you could move me,

But now you're driving me wild

(chorus)

You've got the face of an angel,

And there's love in your eyes,

Now I know only too well,

That's it's just a disguise

(chorus)

Name that tune.....

OK, I seem to be (pardon the expression) playing with myself here mostly.......Sunday's song was by The Troggs, "Feels Like A Woman" ('72 single on Pye) - possibly their most lascivious one....and that's taking in a lot of territory, with "I Can't Control Myself", "Give It To Me", "Strange Movies", "Summertime", and other songs that found singer Reg Presley grunting and groaning. Clue? - They were on Little Steven's Underground Garage New Year's bash on 12/31...

Stay tuned for Monday's tune....

Monday's tune - Hint - the author of this tune is getting ready to tour the US for the first time in years...and I have tickets to see him/her/them in March.

Friday evenings, people get together,

Hiding from the weather,

Tea and toasted, buttered currant buns,

Can't compensate for lack of sun,

Because the summer's all gone.....

Name that tune and artist.....