NAME THAT TUNE, Cont'd

JohnO

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have read the pilot was about 21 years old and was only certified for sight only flying. It was cloudy and he could not fly with whatever they call the instruments. But he decided to attempt it anyway and once they took off he could not tell where the horizon was and that was it.......

I guess it happens all too often. JFK Jr. might have had a similar experience in his tragedy.

Phil

For another arcane piece of trivia regarding the Eddie C./Gene V. car crash, one of the Brit policemen who responded at the scene was a Dave Harman, later Dave Dee of Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich, who had 5-6 hit singles in the UK and Europe during the mid-late 60's.

Here's Wednesday's tune.....if you're familiar with this artist, this won't even be a softball coming your way...it'll be a beachball!

An early single, and an unusual one for this artist, as it was done in the style of (perhaps as a tribute to) another great artist who hailed from the same neck of the woods.....

Lord, have mercy on my soul,

How many chickens have I stole?

One last night, and the night before,

Going back to try and get ten, eleven more...

Name that tune....and the original artist.

Actually, you hit it 2 posts ago....it was Otis Redding's first single, "Shout Bamalama", with "Fat Gal" on the B-side - 2 Little Richard-style stomping rockers. The single was credited to Otis Redding and The Pinetoppers on the Orbit label, released in 1960, then reissued about a year later on King under just his name. This old single has been in most of the Otis R. box sets that are available, and the song has been covered several times, notably by Wet Willie and Eddie Hinton. Otis, of course, had a bunch of Top 40 hits starting about '65, with "These Arms of Mine", "Respect", "Mr. Pitiful", "Satisfaction", etc., etc., etc.

Hints - Both Otis and Little Richard are from Macon, GA. Otis died in a plane crash in 1967.

Tomorrow - no plane or car crashes involved.....

Actually, you hit it 2 posts ago....it was Otis Redding's first single, "Shout Bamalama", with "Fat Gal" on the B-side - 2 Little Richard-style stomping rockers. The single was credited to Otis Redding and The Pinetoppers on the Orbit label, released in 1960, then reissued about a year later on King under just his name. This old single has been in most of the Otis R. box sets that are available, and the song has been covered several times, notably by Wet Willie and Eddie Hinton. Otis, of course, had a bunch of Top 40 hits starting about '65, with "These Arms of Mine", "Respect", "Mr. Pitiful", "Satisfaction", etc., etc., etc.

Hints - Both Otis and Little Richard are from Macon, GA. Otis died in a plane crash in 1967.

Tomorrow - no plane or car crashes involved.....

AHA! A clue. I need to brush up on my knowledge of boat crashes involving rock artists.

I was thinking about your comment, "no plane or car crash" and after doing a little Google search came up with this incredibly tragic list:

PLANE CRASH: Otis Redding, John Denver, Rick Nelson, Stevie Ray Vaughan (helicopter), Jim Croce, Ronnie Van Zant and Stevie Gaines (Lynyrd Skynyrd), Jim "Gentleman" Reeves, Patsy Cline, Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper (J.P. Richardson), Ritchie Valens, Glenn Miller and Aaliyah.

CAR CRASH: Marc Bolan, Harry Chapin, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Duane Alman (motorcycle), Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes, Dottie West, Sam Kinison (comedian/wannabe rock musician).

Bernie