Howard Stern...Yay or nay?

Lee Marshall

I admire Stern for the simple fact that he has proven FOR YEARS...that radio doesn't have to be the lowest common denominator drivel-fest that it IS on way too many 'attempts' that masquerade as entertainment...that radio doesn't have to follow the same basic format that is virtually universal in North America. That he's kicked their collective butts in the ratings almost since he began doing it his way says A LOT.

That said...I find much of what he includes redundant and also unlistenable. I've been driving into work these past several weeks as the company's computer system has been felled. The guy I work with listens to Howard every morning. They were doing a really interesting thing on plagerism and Rock songs that have been stolen and re-recorded/re-issued under a different title by loads of thiefs. This so-called David Letterman sound-alike [who only sounds kind of like Dave] kept interrupting with stupid inane questions about band members...members. It was really annoying.

So even though I appreciate that Howard has proven something and opened a few doors for the 'possibilities' in terms of radio being capable of doing something other than the same old/same old boring formula...he is guilty of it too. His formula is rather like a one trick pony and it's getting really OLD. So...I vote NAY...or no.

I have never gotten Howard Stern. When they were airing his show on E!, it seems like all he did were wanting to talk about sex or want to talk the tops off women with boobs. Maybe he was different at first. And I admit that I never listened to him much. But I never wanted to, either.

I've listened for 15 years. I don't love the entire 5 hours...there are times when you have to turn the dial. But overall, I find the show very funny and entertaining. I find he's best at interviewing celebrities. He doesn't throw softballs at them. He asks questions about money and the personalities of other celebrities. So give me a Yay.

Put my vote in the "yay" column. Like other listeners, I find him mostly funny and generally amusing. When the crudeness gets out of hand I just zone out. The Led Zeppelin stuff was amazing. I've been a Zep fan for ever and never heard about the outright plagarism before. The Spirit song with the "Stairway" riff was just the tip of the iceberg. Yesterday, Howard played a song by a blues guy who recorded a song (believe it or not) actually titled "Dazed and Confused" that was a note-for-note mirror-image of the Zep tune, only this one came out in '63! Why hasn't this been a bigger story over the years? These songs seem way more than a coincidence than Harrison's "My Sweet Lord!"

Bernie

Re: Led Zeppelin - They did tons of this kind of thing.

"Since I've Been Loving You" is a direct rip from Moby Grape's "Never" (and Plant mentioning the band by name in LZ's R&R HOF acceptance speech hasn't stopped Bob Mosley of MG from pursuing this in court...although I'm not sure where the case currently stands...if it still does.)

"Whole Lotta Love" was swiped basically from "You Need Love", which the Small Faces stole from an old Muddy Waters song, etc., etc.

"The Lemon Song" borrowed liberally from an old Robert Johnson tune...."When the Levee Breaks" is an old Memphis Minnie song...and so on and so on....

They were so notorious at doing this kind of thing that a recent review of Bob Dylan's "Modern Times" (where Bob allegedly "wrote" several old blues tunes) referred to Bob D's antics as "he's pulled a Led Zeppelin here".

I agree with the predominantly females who say "Nay". While I'm all for interesting personality and commentary, I think societies today, especially North American society, needs more people who show eloquence, distinction, respect, politeness, self-reflection, and encourage family/people values above all else.

Now that is cool!

There are a lot of good people around, but we need the men to stand up for these faded standards. I really hope we see some improvement in the coming years.

".....I think societies today, especially North American society, needs more people who show eloquence, distinction, respect, politeness, self-reflection, and encourage family/people values above all else. Now that is cool!"

Thank you, President Bush and Mr. Rove!!!

I've never listened to Howard Stern's radio show...I've heard from friends who say they like it...I have seen his TV show...And there wasn't a whole lot there...Just the same juvenile crap over and over...It's never been my thing to want to say boobies on the air..I'm thinking his radio show is a lot better than that to earn him the dollars he's pulling in...