Don't want to say goodbye

Cozmik

After struggling to stand up for some months, Spock, my 14 year old border collie's legs could no longer support him at all. Two days ago, he stopped eating. Yesterday he drank a lot of water but stopped urinating. This morning I faced the hard truth and took him to the vet where I stood by him as his suffering ended. I miss him.

How sad. I'm a newbie here, and keep checking the boards for news about Eric. So very sorry to hear your news. We are such animal lovers, and our dogs are so special to us. We lost two beagles last year within a month apart. We had to put Bunny to sleep, as she had cancer. Bagel missed her so much he joined her 2 weeks later. The only thing that helps is time... and knowing you were there to the end. I'm so sorry.

Barbara in Las Vegas

My heart goes out to you in this time of sadness. I hope yur wonderful memories of Spock and all the many years you shared together will comfort you. I know how hard it is to make that decision, I have to deal with it every day. Know this, the love that you have for Spock overcame your own needs as you did not allow him to suffer and when his quality of life was no longer what you knew he would want you did the kindest thing possible.

Cozmik....we are very sorry for your loss. How wonderful Spock's life must have been to have a loving family such as yours.

I TRULY believe that our love continues on. You could call it afterlife, universal consciousnous, etc....

Isn't it something that Spock has "herded" ALL these loving feelings tonight. You know how Border Collies herd EVERYTHING. I'm sure you did the right thing.

I'm with you, Cosmik and my heart goes out to you. My 8 year old shepard/rottie mix, Mia, had 2 cancerous cysts removed from her paw last month. Her blood work came back with elevated liver enzymes, indicating something else (or cancer somewhere else) and tests on Thursday show some sort of hepatic disease. She's her same perky self, she's eating and drinking. So we just watch and love her. But I know I will follow your footsteps and help her over the Rainbow bridge at some point.

I know how hard and sad that was to do, Cozmik. We had to put our Mystique down last month. She was almost 15.y/o. As the vet said he could patch her up, but her quality of life would not be good. Obviously you were at the same decision point. If it helps, you made a correct and humane decision, albeit a difficult one.

Hey Cozmik, sorry to hear that. Tough times....

Your post brought two things to mind for me:

* Growing up in the 1970s, our family dog was a BEAUTIFUL border collie. She was really my dog (as opposed to my four sisters' and brother's dog!), and I have great memories of her. For example, she had that classic herding instinct: Every day when my sisters and I would emerge from the school bus, Tippy would come tearing down the street and then she'd herd us home, barking behind us, her tail wagging, as happy as any living creature could be. She lived to be around 12.

* My most recent pets, two cats from the same litter, were real treasures too. Rudy and Theo (named after the Cosby kids) were half Siamese, half tiger, and had the greatest personalities. Rudy got sick (kidney related) in 2002 at age 16.5, and I had to make the same impossible decision you did. I put it off as long as I could, until her body weight dropped drastically, and it became all too clear that she was in pain. Her little battery was about to run out. If anything, I waited a bit too long, because I didn't want to go through it.

A year and a half later (2003), I went through the same thing with Theo (he was 18). He was with me non-stop after Rudy died, so it was even harder to make that decision with him. I still remember sitting in the vet's office, both times, saying goodbye to those cats, but wishing there was some way..... Still chokes me up to think about it.

Just remember: The last nice thing we do for the pets we love is to let them go when it's time. Hang in there, Cozmik.

Best,

Larry

i'm sorry to hear this..my guy is getting there too..it's one of the most painful things to go thru..just be happy they had a good life thru you,with love,bonding,and happy times..animals do that to us w/unconditional love,and when they pass with a loving owner and friend,remember,that's all they ever asked for to begin with...and you gave them that..lol,chris

You did a fine thing, Cozmik, standing by Spock when he needed you the most. I have half a Border Collie here, and I don't know what I would do without him. After fourteen years of life and being with a caring companion such as yourself, it is obvious that your friend indeedlived long and prospered. May you do the same. Heartfelt condolences, my friend.

Reid

Wow,We have a soon to be 14 year old border collie/sheltie mix and have nursed him through a lot these past couple years.Struggled with a virus last week,no sleep,but finally got back to regular sleep Saturday night.The vet said to put him on pepto bismol every 2 hours until he got some relief(and me too,from all the door opening!)We do have special times with our creatures,though and they sense our caring.Hope you feel better soon.