Wayne Cochran

Bessieboo

Wayne Cochran came into TGI Friday's today where

my youngest son works.

Wayne was very gregarious, introduced himself to all the staff,

but thought everyone should know him.

I think I have seen photo's of him

with big hair but that is all I remember about him.

Was he very popular? Any hit records?

Wayne C. & The CC Riders were big in the South in the early-to-mid 60's, kinda like a white James Brown. I think he wrote and recorded the first version of "Last Kiss", which became a big hit a couple of years later for Frank Wilson....a classic death/car crash song (the one that goes "Where oh where can my baby be?, the Lord took her away from me......etc."). I got a compilation CD last year of his material, and it was as bad as I remember...although his live act was quite exciting (I recall seeing him on shows like Shindig & Hullaballoo)....

Marv - Yeah, and I believe that song, allegedly first recorded by Ma Rainey (as "See See Rider Blues", in the mid-20's), has probably been covered about a hundred times.....Ryder's was pretty much based on Chuck Willis' version from the 50s ("CCR", NOT "Jenny Jenny," the Little Richard song)....as was Elvis'.

"I thought he did an amazing job defending O.J. Simpson. Damn! Who would have ever thought that anyone could have gotten that murderer off the hook! I tell ya....Oops...that was JOHNNIE Cochran."

Yeah, he also did a Hellava job catching for the old Philadelphia A's and Detroit Tiger....oh, sorry, that's Mickey Cochrane......